Shipping Tires

mike27

How do you go ship tires? Or how have they been shipped to you? Do you have to box them? I'm selling a set and have to ship them but am having a hell of a time finding a box they'll fit in. Any advice?

Fire929

I've never had them come to me in a box.

Most just have a strap of some type to hold them together.

jtsgsxr6

Fire929;113053 wrote: I've never had them come to me in a box.

Most just have a strap of some type to hold them together.
That's how it used to be, I shipped one about a month ago like that. I received an 8 dollar charge to my account after I shipped it because " Item was not contained in cardboard".

So for UPS you have to box em, apparently.

Gorilla

Control Rider
mike27;113051 wrote: How do you go ship tires? Or how have they been shipped to you? Do you have to box them? I'm selling a set and have to ship them but am having a hell of a time finding a box they'll fit in. Any advice?
U-Haul has boxes

mike27

I've been to about 6 different Uhauls and storage facilities and nobody has a box big enough. I called the post office and they said the best way would be to zip tie them together and wrap them in plastic. That way the label will stick good. Just have to find some plastic wrap now.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I shiped two tires about 2 months ago via UPS. I used strapping tape to tie them together and clear tape to hold the label on them....otherwise they were bare.

jtsgsxr6

What size tires are you trying to ship? I know boxes big enough for bike tires exist. My last order of tires came in boxes. 24x24x12 I think.

Meat

BigBird;113110 wrote: ups needs a box, fedex doesn't
Hmmm, I get tires delivered by UPS all the time without a box. Maybe it is a new requirement for this year as I haven't gotten a tire shipment yet this year.

RandyO

I get tires with just a packing label attached (singles) and pairs strapped together..

When I drove tractor trailers for FedEx.. we always had tires on board.. (label only)

mike27

Thanks for the advice guys. I zip tied them together pretty good and wrapped them in plastic wrap. No problem at the post office.