Short people and race suits.

espacef1fan

It seems based on how I measure myself and from manufacturers sizing charts, no suit ever made will fit me.

I'm 5'6"- 5'7"
I weigh 168
I have a 39-40" chest
I have a roughly 30" inseam
I also have a 35" waist.

What is the correct way to obtain measurements for the suits? Maybe I am using the wrong measuring placement?
Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

betarace

I would buy one that fits in the torso and hips and have altered for sleeves and legs by Lizzy Leathers

denbsteph

betarace;264396 wrote: I would buy one that fits in the torso and hips and have altered for sleeves and legs by Lizzy Leathers
Yep, I'm 5'3" 168 lbs, large frame for my size, fairly muscular. That is exactly what I did. OUTSTANDING craftsmanship, no issues or complaints from me. The suit fits like a glove. It cost me a little bit but I had it all done. 300 bucks, to me well worth it. DON'T SKIMP on who does your adjustments, if you go with someone who does not know what they are doing, you will pay dearly. I went down at turn 1 VIR North ( cold tires, pushing to hard ) the suit held it owns, especially where the adjustments were made, call lizzy and have your stuff done in the off season.

denbsteph

This sport is expensive in the beginning, DON'T SKIMP ON SAFETY GEAR! If you can find a suit that has minimal usage, no test crash dummy spots, check it close. Only you can make that decision if it's track worthy. Check the For Sale section, occasionally you can get a good deal, but you need to get on it quick. There are a lot of NESBIAN sharks on here looking for that stray deal that may venture off into deep waters.......... alone and helpless. :eek::eek:

That is a good thing, I'm not bad mouthing any fellow NESBIANS. It may sounded that way, but thats not what I meant.

Yours may not cost that much, I had to have just about every area altered in some sort of way.

espacef1fan

Here is my other option. I have a MotoGP brand jacket that fits ok( had it for awhile..I like it.. )

Ive thought about buying some pants and then maybe having a zipper sewn in to attach the two?

The PRIMARY use for this setup will be street riding and perhaps occasional trackdays. Currently I jsut have some ICON textile pants with minimal armor. Eventually I may get into Ninja 250 racing..but only time will tell with that. Im sure I would be buying a suit at that point

denbsteph

espacef1fan;264408 wrote: Here is my other option. I have a MotoGP brand jacket that fits ok( had it for awhile..I like it.. )

Ive thought about buying some pants and then maybe having a zipper sewn in to attach the two?

The PRIMARY use for this setup will be street riding and perhaps occasional trackdays. Currently I jsut have some ICON textile pants with minimal armor. Eventually I may get into Ninja 250 racing..but only time will tell with that. Im sure I would be buying a suit at that point

IMHO, buy a full suit for TD's, you will not be disappointed. Then again I'm not you, I can only tell you what has worked for me.
Good luck with whatever decision you make. If you don't feel right about it, don't do it. Go with your gut feeling and not your wallet feeling. :)

erick1670

I am about the same size as you are

I am
5'7" 165 atlhetic built
chest 39.5" 101cm
inseam 30.5" or 78cm

and my suits are 52US/42EUR, and I using a back & chest protector with it, am still working in loosing about 5lbs so it can be a bit more loose. I got this suit last October and at that time I was almost 170 and I could not even use my back protector b/s too tight :banghead:

IMG_0301_zpscfcbb28e.jpg

IMG_0304_zps759e497d.jpg

IMG_0305_zpsbf504e3a.jpg

espacef1fan

Erick, those are pretty helpful pictures and also a very helpful post overall. I thought I was in pretty decent shape, Ive been in the Army for 9 years, and run alot and everything. Shopping for race suits makes me feel..fat. Man that felt very woman-like to say. lol.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
espacef1fan;264408 wrote: Here is my other option. I have a MotoGP brand jacket that fits ok( had it for awhile..I like it.. )

If you get a zipper sewn in, just make sure it's a full circumference zipper, not a short one that just goes across the back.

espacef1fan

HondaGalToo;264418 wrote: If you get a zipper sewn in, just make sure it's a full circumference zipper, not a short one that just goes across the back.
I knew this and was thinking this. I should have been more specific. Thank you for clarifying for everyone else. This fact is SUPER important.

Right now however a company called LionHeartMoto out of Louisville, KY has my attention. Custom fit leathers with many options available made right here in the USA! Just trying to figure out how the do in crashes, as they are a new company.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
espacef1fan;264435 wrote: I knew this and was thinking this. I should have been more specific. Thank you for clarifying for everyone else. This fact is SUPER important.

Right now however a company called LionHeartMoto out of Louisville, KY has my attention. Custom fit leathers with many options available made right here in the USA! Just trying to figure out how the do in crashes, as they are a new company.
Don't know anything about them, but another option for an excellent quality, fairly priced custom suit is Barnacle Bill. Check him out, too.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
It may be a great idea to try some on, most suits will fit you well (depending on your build) if you want a perfect fit you must have it altered.

espacef1fan

Ha no. I apparently quit growing at some point during highschool. LOL Anyways I will likely check out Sportbiketrackgear when I ge tback from Afghanistan(I mean actually go in their store) and if that doesnt work out, I will likely be a guinea pig and custom order a suit.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
espacef1fan;264474 wrote: Ha no. I apparently quit growing at some point during highschool. LOL Anyways I will likely check out Sportbiketrackgear when I ge tback from Afghanistan(I mean actually go in their store) and if that doesnt work out, I will likely be a guinea pig and custom order a suit.
Oh yeah, Sportbike Trackgear often has some great deals!

If you can't fit something off the rack, with or without modifications, a custom suit is a good way to go.
I've always gone custom. When I first started riding track, women's off the rack stuff, at least serious stuff for the track, was non-existent.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Rider's Discount also has some suits on closeout that are VERY reasonably priced. Even their current stuff is usually at prices nobody else can match.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum at 5'9" and 230, I have leather added in the legs, arms and torso on most suits I've bought, and shorten the sleeves.

You're more than likely never going to get a perfect fit off the shelf, but the manufacturers to a pretty good job of making suits the general rider can deal with.

Also keep in mind that a suit will be completely different on the bike. What feels good standing may completely suck when you're riding while wearing it. A suit that sort of sucks when new may feel AWESOME after a some break-in time.

My Alpinestar previous model Racer Replica is the BEST fit and feel I've had in a suit from the moment I put it on after UPS delivered it from Rider's Discount last July. LOVE that suit. Might need to shorten the sleeves about 2.5 inches and maybe a little extra room in the thighs, but I think that's it.

denbsteph

I got my Alpinestar on closeout at Cycle gear, saved over 300 dollars on it alone. Forgot to mention that earlier.

erick1670

vinny337;264462 wrote: E,
I thought you grew a few inches from last year??:dunno::)
Yeah, I did at the wrong places :mad::banghead:.... But I got on the ball and I lost about 5lbs of body fat, I need about 3-4 more :D

ericlouie1

I'm 5'7" and about 200 lbs, I started with a used Kobe size 46, it was a little tight overall, especially with a back protector However, the forearms and calf area was loose.
I got rack size 48 from heroic and it fits me pretty nice, perfect in the forearms, and legs, slightly tight in the torso once the back protector is on, but once i drop more weight it will fit great. The lengths are perfect, and it is a good feeling suit all around. Todd get my vote. Plus he regularly comes to northeast events, and does trackside repairs/minor alterations.