Should Ladies get a different rate?

smack28752

Whew, I ran out of steam reading so I just skipped to the end....

I think the issue is economics rather than equality. The ultimate goal seems to be a healthy club with the lowest costs possible. Holding an event with a turnout of 50% of capacity is less effective than operating at 90%+ (offering discounts on tracks that are packed doen't make much sense and I don't see that happening at Barber in April, for example).

If there is a desire to get more female riders, incentives may be a way to get there (as with any other group/segment/demographic mentioned here). The incentives should be focused and "special" rather than across the board deals such as "Girls always get 15% off." Once something is given away, a sense of entiltlement sets in and it is hard to reclaim it.

NESBA membership fees are a good example. Last year, rather than offering a $25 early registration discount as in years before, discounts were tied to a multi-year commitment.

Enough of my B.S. but I will speak to my situation. I am lucky that I can afford to come to the track. Over the last couple of years I have learned to be frugal so I can get more days in. There are, however, additional costs to this addiction, primarily TIME spent away from family. My son is in college, rides, is a NESBA member and has done track days with me some. Here is where the economic $$ get in the way. If there were price breaks for family participation, we would be there together more often. As it stands, we spend time away from the track doing activities that are (almost) as fun and cost a lot less!!

BTW, my 16 year old daughter is pushing hard to get to the track. Female & family discounts would certainly help make that happen! :D

rk97

Meat;107124 wrote:
If I pay $100 for something and you pay $80 for that same thing, I just don't understand the logic that it is fair. I am paying 25% more than you for the same exact service and by extending that discount to a certain group, how is that fair? And if it is fair, then can that discount go to a certain group, say a certain race as opposed to a sex?

If you agree to pay $100 for something, you've agreed (by payment) that you got a fair deal.

my deal has no bearing on yours. Yes, there's inequity, but you are not getting anything less than what you were promised for your $100. You already agreed that was a fair price.

Meat

rk97;107134 wrote: If you agree to pay $100 for something, you've agreed (by payment) that you got a fair deal.

my deal has no bearing on yours. Yes, there's inequity, but you are not getting anything less than what you were promised for your $100. You already agreed that was a fair price.
Difference of opinion. No big deal.

fitz

Meat;107136 wrote: Difference of opinion. No big deal.
Yes and no.

You could flip it and say if you are a male you are out $20 more than females.

OR

Let's say two people dong the EXACT same job one gets paid $10,000 more because they are male (which happens A LOT!), is that fair? I bet the males getting the $10,000 would some how say it is.

Whether you are getting more or paying less it's the same difference when it comes to your bank account.

fitz

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
jeff b;107161 wrote: Since ladies generally mass less than guys usually lighter spring rate is required
Yeah, but the lighter springs still cost the same as the heavier springs. :D Had to say it!

Meat

fitz;107141 wrote:

Let's say two people dong the EXACT same job one gets paid $10,000 more because they are male (which happens A LOT!), is that fair? I bet the males getting the $10,000 would some how say it is.
In my world of doing aeronautical engineering on military aircraft, the opposite is often true. There are different groups of people that are hired to meet quotas, whether they have the skill or not. Salaries are also tracked on different groups.

I am a contracting aeronautical engineer to try and get away from this (and make more money), it is less as a contractor, but it will never be eliminated.

This is also true of commercial aircraft as well, if they plan on doing any sort of government work, such as Boeing, Gulfstream, etc.

litespeed

fitz;107141 wrote:

Whether you are getting more or paying less it's the same difference when it comes to your bank account.
I just don't think it is right, as someone else has mentioned, that I wanted to be paid the same in the above instance and yet I want to treated differently and pay less for a track day. It seems hypocritical!! Also, it facilitates the acceptance of basing financial decisions on gender.

If the real issue is about enticing more women to track days are think that there are more effective ways to do that, but I think we have to admit that this isn't a sport that is going to interest a LOT of women.

now where is that "beating the dead horse" graphic....

Lynda

rk97

Meat;107215 wrote: In my world of doing aeronautical engineering on military aircraft, the opposite is often true. There are different groups of people that are hired to meet quotas, whether they have the skill or not.
^ and I'm 100% in agreement that such situations are unfair, and ridiculous.

johnyisthedevil

I just want to say good job to NESBA for posing the question to it's members, instead of just alienating them by putting policy into effect without researching how their members would take it .:congrats: good job

Landshark

Control Rider
Jonny thanks for the praise. I am afraid its unwarranted though. I posted the question just to see what personal opinions the members had without any intent to promote policy or poll before implementing policy.
Nonetheless one thing I have learned is this is a members club and being such the decisions made always consider the impact on the members.

Please accept my personal apology if you read this thread assuming this was an official policy poll.

Meat

johnyisthedevil;107285 wrote: I just want to say good job to NESBA for posing the question to it's members, instead of just alienating them...
This is a good example of why nesba is by far the best track org to me. It really is our club, not just the business venture of one or two people. And when questions are raised, even though this one wasn't an actual nesba organization question, I feel free to speak my opinion without any repercussions from others that disagree with my opinion.

I have only been with nesba since July of 2008 but I am a HUGE fan.

Mikey75702

mattf;107302 wrote: +1 on the family discount.
IF Nesba wanted to fill more days, they could do it alot better by offering something like the multi-day discount instead of a female only discount. You could link all of your family members accounts to your account and also to your credit card, and when you sign up for days for multiple members (linked via above) give a small discount similiar to the multi-day..... Just my .02¢

johnyisthedevil

Landshark;107287 wrote: Jonny thanks for the praise. I am afraid its unwarranted though. I posted the question just to see what personal opinions the members had without any intent to promote policy or poll before implementing policy.
Nonetheless one thing I have learned is this is a members club and being such the decisions made always consider the impact on the members.

Please accept my personal apology if you read this thread assuming this was an official policy poll.
fair enough, but still. this kind of integrity still deserves praise as I think the level of honesty in this organization is worthy of it. so go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back anyway. you just proved your character in that post. and that is rare these days.

barry38

Mikey75702;107326 wrote: IF Nesba wanted to fill more days, they could do it alot better by offering something like the multi-day discount instead of a female only discount. You could link all of your family members accounts to your account and also to your credit card, and when you sign up for days for multiple members (linked via above) give a small discount similiar to the multi-day..... Just my .02¢

Not sure if you are aware but we do give a multi-day discount now to individuals. If you sign up for two days at a multi-day event at the same time, the second (or third for that matter) day is $15 off. You can also buy credits and get I believe a 15% discount........