silly season Q... race resume

ERB68

What should a proper racers resume look like?

I think I'm going to try to get some sponsorship for next season.

TIA

ronhix

Sponsors don't care near as much about you and your resume as they do about themselves and their bottom line.

You run a business, right? If someone came to you and wanted Mr. Coffin Slinger to sponsor them, what would make you say yes?

steve p

Ed, sponsorship means many things to different people. If your looking for some oil or small stuff than go for it and see what ya get. Other wise I have found that going through the season close out sales will get you much better results than so called sponsorships. If you do get sponsorship than typically you sign a contract, or some other type of agreement, by the time the end of the season comes around typically one or both parties have broken the agreement. Could be you couldn't make a race because of Laconte's birthday or what ever or you just don't have the coin to make it. Bam, now the sponsor isn't happy.

In my opinion Seeking sponsorship is an uphill battle all the way. If you can have a go at it yourself you'll be alot happier in the long run.

I like your ambition though. Good luck

erick1670

ERB68;161282 wrote: What should a proper racers resume look like?

I think I'm going to try to get some sponsorship for next season.

TIA
the only sponsorship that I wish I had to go raicng, would be my wife`s :D...... so I have to stick to track riding untill I can sweet talk her.

with all this talk about the racing in the other tread, that itch of trying to do this just for a few races just for fun and to say that I did it

ERB68

steve p;161301 wrote: Ed, sponsorship means many things to different people. If your looking for some oil or small stuff than go for it and see what ya get. Other wise I have found that going through the season close out sales will get you much better results than so called sponsorships. If you do get sponsorship than typically you sign a contract, or some other type of agreement, by the time the end of the season comes around typically one or both parties have broken the agreement. Could be you couldn't make a race because of Laconte's birthday or what ever or you just don't have the coin to make it. Bam, now the sponsor isn't happy.

In my opinion Seeking sponsorship is an uphill battle all the way. If you can have a go at it yourself you'll be alot happier in the long run.

I like your ambition though. Good luck
Thanks Steve, but I must admit I'm not that ambitious just lucky. The bike dealer I have been doing biz with for years is getting interested in road racing. They asked me for a resume. :D

I don't expect much to come of this but if I get a set of tires I'm happy.

ERB68

erick1670;161311 wrote: the only sponsorship that I wish I had to go raicng, would be my wife`s :D...... so I have to stick to track riding untill I can sweet talk her.

with all this talk about the racing in the other tread, that itch of trying to do this just for a few races just for fun and to say that I did it
I don't understand :dunno: you just tell her it's a track day weekend and go. :D

crewnutz

In general inside industry sponsors will want to see a resume and most have a place on their website where you can send it/upload it. This is what you do if you're just looking for discounted product, etc...
At the novice level (and expert for that matter) if is very hard to get "free" stuff

If you're going after bigger sponsorship you should really put a professional proposal togethor outlining what your race program can do for their business and the ROI they can expect... This is how I landed HEL Performance and Continental Tires this past year...
If you want more than a discount you gotta work for it. (i.e. money$$$)...and deliver what you said you would...

If you have a good relationship with your local shop then just keep working that and start talking seriously with the owner about putting something togethor, you never know what it might turn into...

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
crewnutz;161760 wrote: If you have a good relationship with your local shop then just keep working that and start talking seriously with the owner about putting something togethor, you never know what it might turn into...
And kindly ask the local shop owner to assist in get sponsorship $ or free stuff from product suppliers that they use for retail goods in the store.

My local shop helped with much better deals (helmet, leathers, gloves, boots) than most racers could get directly from the manufacturer.