Six degrees of separation

tiggen

So I go to dinner tonight with a friend from HS and mention that I race motorcycles. He says he has a buddy who just "went to Como with some guy from Dallas who races superbike or something." (Btw, my friend doesn't know anything about bike racing.)

So I ask him, "you mean Ben Spies?" He says he doesn't know, and texts his buddy "what's the name of your buddy?" The reply come back a few minutes later, "Ben Spies."

So my friend says "what should I write back", and I say "ask him how his foot is," which he does.

Few minutes later the response comes "I'm looking at it now, it's all black and blue."

Thought it was a little bizarre but kinda cool too.

franikk

That is kind of cool. For someone like Spies, who is famous to us and your friend is just like "some guy from Dallas."

That's funny!

LUCKEDUCK

That is pretty cool.... And kinda funny.. My boss use to race with colin edwards. I thought that was pretty cool and even still keeps in touch with him.. So when its time to have off for trackdays he's always like no problem! Haha

tiggen

franikk;129706 wrote: That is kind of cool. For someone like Spies, who is famous to us and your friend is just like "some guy from Dallas."

That's funny!
Exactly! As soon as he said it I wished I had another motorcycle fan at the table with whom to share the moment. Thanks for sharing!!

tiggen

LUCKEDUCK;129713 wrote: That is pretty cool.... And kinda funny.. My boss use to race with colin edwards. I thought that was pretty cool and even still keeps in touch with him.. So when its time to have off for trackdays he's always like no problem! Haha
Nice. Note to self: Keep that job!

Sklossmonster

Very cool. It's a small world, isn't it? Even at the world level, motorcycle racing is such a specialized activity. Thanks for sharing.

Go Spies!

D-Swens

I was talking to one of my friends from college who works at a small marketing firm out in CA, and he was like "you're into racing bikes and all that stuff now aren't you?" ...and I asked why?
And he said they had dinner the other night with some foreign guy named "biaggi or something like that...just thought you might know him cause I don't think that many people are into that kind of stuff here in the US..."
As it turns out it was Mad Maxx, and the guy had no idea who he was, so I didn't waste too much time saying who it was....
damn wasted opportunity...oh well probably does those guys some good to hang out with people who have no idea who the f@ck they are...

tiggen

D-Swens;130075 wrote:
...oh well probably does those guys some good to hang out with people who have no idea who the f@ck they are...
:haha:No doubt. Keeps 'em honest.

Great story and all, but how is Ben Spies connected to Kevin Bacon???
THAT, I'd like to know....:D

I wish I knew Ben Spies or Kevin Bacon.:(

rk97

franikk;129706 wrote: That is kind of cool. For someone like Spies, who is famous to us and your friend is just like "some guy from Dallas."

That's funny!

Spies is likely well beyond the "USA motorcycle racing suckubus bubble" by now, but I'd guess a lot of fast riders don't really think of themselves
as "famous."

Anyone else here facebook friends with multiple AMA riders? They're just regular people with an interesting "job" in the US. If they were in Europe, they'd be famous.

tiggen

rk97;130107 wrote: Spies is likely well beyond the "USA motorcycle racing suckubus bubble" by now, but I'd guess a lot of fast riders don't really think of themselves as "famous."

Anyone else here facebook friends with multiple AMA riders? They're just regular people with an interesting "job" in the US. If they were in Europe, they'd be famous.
Not on F-book, but I follow a few peeps on the Twit. Love listening to the Haydens talk smack back and forth.

rk97

check out the Bostrom Brothers as well. I think Eric does most of the Twitter stuff.

The only thing I don't like about following racers on Twitter is that I occasionally read race results before I get a chance to watch the race on TV.