Slapper opened calipers

Eddie

Wanted to put this out there for question, comment, and good info that may save someone from a bad day.
Has anyone ever heard of a violent slapper opening the front calipers?
I did my first track day March of this year, been through novice classes in three organizations, and have never heard of this.
I did a race school and mock race this past Monday at Summit.
I didn't use good vision coming out of turn 10, ran wide and caught a heck of a wobble. Honestly thought I wouldn't recover from it. It straightened up, and I got back to work. Got to my brake marker for turn 1, squeezed the brake.......and nothing! Grabbed it harder the second time in a bit of a panic, and almost went ass over shoulders. Didn't know what was going on with the front or what it would do next, so decided to get it stopped with the rear only. I was shaken a bit, but OK.
Super bummed because I was having such a good time in the race. The only 2 bikes that came around me were 1000's. I really wanted to finish that race. I'm very new to this sport, but for me, the thrill of that race was amazing. Everything about it, from the coaches messing with us at the beginning, to the camaraderie and sense of fulfillment at the end. I can't wait to do it again.
Here's the video of it. If this happens to you...check your brakes!!
I think this should be part of the novice curriculum.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
It can happen. I recall it happening to Kurtis Roberts when he was racing AMA superbike in the 90's for Erion Honda on their RC-51 at Fontana.

Glad you're ok.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Absolutely. Tank slappers can (and often do) cause brake pads to open and it takes a few pulls sometimes to get them back.

mpusch

Micah
Definitely can happen. Skip to around 9:45 here...

That one threw the pistons back. Fortunately, reading forums does have its benefits, and I knew enough to give an extra pull to get them set. Did not have much of any braking force on the first one...

LarsDunaway

Rat Boy
Staff member
Control Rider
Yep, we see it fairly often. Hell, many racers I know will get some wobble coming out of T5 at road atlanta and actually have to squeeze a few times to set the pads back in before T7, and they do this pretty much every lap. Definitely check to make sure your brakes are still there after having the front end upset like that.

Eddie

Coach Mark, blocking me in turn 1. He was giving me the business much worse during the day sessions. He took it easier on me in the race. Then when the big bike passed me, he took off after him.
Thanks Vin!
All of you guys (CRs) boggle my mind. As soon as I think I'm really puttin' it down, one of you come around, dive deep, and disappear into the sunset.
I swear it's like you guys have achieved some higher level of consciousness.
Looks like I could go deeper in turn 1 though, considering I damn near got it stopped with just the rear! lol.
Well, looks like another lesson I've learned in my usual fashion.

eskimo

Slow guy on a fast bike
Happens at VIR too, fortunately, it's normally discovered right as you brake under the bridge, and there's a TON of pavement in the run off.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Nice save! Setting up an outside pass coming out of T10 can get real hairy real quick, depending on where the guy in front of you is. Ridden on those rumble strips many times! Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. It can get risky trying to pass there, but if you're racing and the checkered flag is out...well, sometimes you make it happen. Reminded me of my first time racing at Summit when I snagged this 3rd place finish. We were neck and neck across the finish line, and we didn't know who beat the other one till we got back to the pits. Racing is a whole new level. Hope to see you out there on a "real" grid sometime soon!

dsmitty37

Coming out of turn 5 heading to 6 @ Road Atlanta you can experience some headshake because the front gets light and that will push your calipers in causing you to not have brakes. If there is ever any doubt after getting headshake, gives the brakes a test pull or 2 before you need them in the braking zone.