Sliders on footpegs?

DaveK22

I ordered some cheap Delrin bar end sliders (Ebay) for my Woodcraft clipons. I noticed that they would also fit my Woodcraft clip-on footpegs with some "sizing" on the bench grinder.

Any thoughts on whether this would present a problem with ground clearance on turns? The bottom is 16" from ground (on a GSXR 750). I know they would help save a lot of rash in a low side but I don't want it to interfere with any lean angles either. I also can cut the length in half if need be & still bolt to the aluminum insert which is mounted inside the peg.

...yes, winter is getting to me LOL

IMAG0503_zps2183d998.jpg

Good idea, But I dragged my foot-pegs a lot on my 2006 Yamaha R-6. I guess it comes down to how well and low you get on corners...Scott

devildogae

From my own experience, not much, I feel like you will drag those and could result in an off. So if I'm wrong, it would increase the surface area cause I have big feet and it's hard to turn them out and toes on the end of the foot peg sometimes.

noobinacan

that is a bad idea...for multiple reasons.
starting with, it will drag and may lead to you coming off the bike...the part coming off and hitting another rider.
your foot will slip.

Do you really want to experiment what will happen at 80mph - 120mph ??

when your bike hits the ground, all bets are off, parts will get bent and parts will come off...you just have to live with that.
and everyone gets to the meet the pavement in this sport...there are no exceptions! :)

don't do it

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Forget about ground clearance...It will not bear the weight of your body if you stand on it. Leave it where it belongs.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have PP Tuning rearsets on my bike. This is what my footpegs look like:

807.jpg

There is a small slider built into the end. I have laid the bike down several times and have only had to replace one footpeg. When Lenny sees this thread he will tell you to take them off. When you have the inside foot in the proper position when turning, your foot will be on the outside of the peg, not on top. If you have proper foot position with those in place, it will be as slippery as anything. I think it's a good idea, but it is just too big. If it were me, I would go back to the bench grinder and remove more of the outer material.

Quickone4u

noobinacan;300927 wrote: that is a bad idea...for multiple reasons.
starting with, it will drag and may lead to you coming off the bike...the part coming off and hitting another rider.
your foot will slip.

Do you really want to experiment what will happen at 80mph - 120mph ??

when your bike hits the ground, all bets are off, parts will get bent and parts will come off...you just have to live with that.
and everyone gets to the meet the pavement in this sport...there are no exceptions! :)

don't do it
I agree, bad idea! Along with what noobinacan said, I would think that if they do survive the initial impact of going down, they would probably increase the likelihood of your bike rolling/tumbling due to the higher center of gravity with those attached. I personally wouldn't be to worried about my pegs getting rashed as most companies have the option of replacing just the peg. Not worth the multiple levels of trouble these would cost for what real benefit?!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I wouldn't pass that through tech, only because I see it to be a safety issue.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
If you're not already using significant lean angle in corners..with improved body positioning, you will.
Once that starts to happen, those will drag on the asphalt, dig up the pavement on July days..and quite possibly lift your rear tire off the surface and result in a low-side...the bike will slide off the track, your
invention will catch on something in the turf and your bike will tumble.

It's just something you have to accept in this sport. If you're going to participate, eventually you're going to encounter a moment of "Ooops!" and you and the wrong parts of your motorcycle are going to be on the ground. And unfortunately..when that happens, things get broken.

The critical component of a successful off track experience though is what's broken..you? or the bike?

Personally, I'm happy..and have been fortunate enough to walk away and the bike was the one broke in my moment of "Oooops!"

andykurz

Let's have an internet argument!

D-Zum;300984 wrote: If you're not already using significant lean angle in corners..with improved body positioning, you will.
Improved body position would reduce lean angle. But increasing pace will end up bringing it right back.

Agreed on the other points though, making your pegs bigger will make your "hard parts" more likely to drag which could cause you to crash. Once you crash, your bike will be more likely to do acrobatics instead of calmly sliding away. If you don't crash, the sliders might break off when you stand on them if not designed properly. Not a good idea.

Ruhe52

Sliders on footpegs?

I have heard you don't want a peg breaking off say in a corner. That set up would seem to almost assure your foot to slip off or it bends and or breaks with weight on it. All bad.

Odds are not the first to think of it and a reason you don't see it.

DaveK22

Great feedback. I guess I'm going to remove them.

But just to play devils advocate...say these were cut to only 1/2" long so they are more like a simple end cap. It seems that since the sliders are Delrin that they would be safer hitting pavement rather than the non-folding aluminum peg. In a low side, wouldn't they easily grind down absorbing impact just like frame sliders & bar end sliders do?

btw- these are rock solid once installed. they have a solid aluminum insert that went into the the peg tightly once ground down to size. Had to hammer them in. I guarentee they are more secure than bar ends held in by an expanded rubber plug. Some JB Weld would make them permanent if need be. Again, I'm removing them but just fighting off the winter blaws playing in the garage :eek:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
As others have mentioned, proper foot position has your foot on the edge of the peg. Those delrin pieces will offer no grip when your feet are properly positioned. Heck, after a season or two, some of the roughness on the edge of my Woodcraft pegs wears down enough that I have to rotate or replace. I don't think it'll make it slide better, either. As far as "rock solid", I'm still not convinced they'd support your weight over the long term. I agree with everyone else who said "not a good idea".

The metal pegs actually grind down pretty well, and many of them are made to snap off about halfway down upon impact anyway, so it's pointless to add a slider on the end.

Like in Thunderace's pics, they do make small plastic plugs for the end of the pegs. They aren't flush with the pegs, so they don't interfere with grip. Also, they don't really act so much as sliders, as filling the hole of the peg so, in a wreck, it doesn't core your body.

DaveK22

HondaGalToo;301019 wrote: As others have mentioned, proper foot position has your foot on the edge of the peg. Those delrin pieces will offer no grip when your feet are properly positioned. Heck, after a season or two, some of the roughness on the edge of my Woodcraft pegs wears down enough that I have to rotate or replace. I don't think it'll make it slide better, either. As far as "rock solid", I'm still not convinced they'd support your weight over the long term. I agree with everyone else who said "not a good idea".

The metal pegs actually grind down pretty well, and many of them are made to snap off about halfway down upon impact anyway, so it's pointless to add a slider on the end.

Like in Thunderace's pics, they do make small plastic plugs for the end of the pegs. They aren't flush with the pegs, so they don't interfere with grip. Also, they don't really act so much as sliders, as filling the hole of the peg so, in a wreck, it doesn't core your body.
Well said. Consider this thread "closed":adore:

devildogae

They prolly will just grind down while your sliding on pavement, but when you meet the earth could be different. I think we all recognize them being more of a danger than any possible advantage. Besides the CR's stated you would not pass tech. And I agree your toe would easily slip off the edge while putting pressure on them, and that would suck in a corner resulting in your probable crash. And you have to think about the safety of all the other riders. Keep them for the street.

DaveK22

devildogae;301021 wrote: They prolly will just grind down while your sliding on pavement, but when you meet the earth could be different. I think we all recognize them being more of a danger than any possible advantage. Besides the CR's stated you would not pass tech. And I agree your toe would easily slip off the edge while putting pressure on them, and that would suck in a corner resulting in your probable crash. And you have to think about the safety of all the other riders. Keep them for the street.
They're now off. I had to remove the foot pegs, put them in a vice, & punch out the aluminum insert part. Back to my plain pegs now. Thanks for everyone's input.

bluers

DaveK22;301030 wrote: They're now off. I had to remove the foot pegs, put them in a vice, & punch out the aluminum insert part. Back to my plain pegs now. Thanks for everyone's input.

Great! The reason I love riding with NESBA is discussions like this. The long time guys and girls offered up their thoughts without putting anyone down and backed up their reasoning.

I've seen the supermoto guys melt skateboard wheels to their pegs as sliders, but they are a different breed. They toss them around with no cares given.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
andykurz;301009 wrote: Let's have an internet argument!

Improved body position would reduce lean angle. But increasing pace will end up bringing it right back.

Agreed on the other points though, making your pegs bigger will make your "hard parts" more likely to drag which could cause you to crash. Once you crash, your bike will be more likely to do acrobatics instead of calmly sliding away. If you don't crash, the sliders might break off when you stand on them if not designed properly. Not a good idea.
1..2..3...4..I declare a Thumb WAR! :D

I was (in my head) comparing the lean angle used by most B riders versus I and A riders. B riders are looking to find lean angle with their bikes and body positioning to improve cornering technique/speed. As we progress to A riders, we tend try to reduce lean angle using much improved body positioning that pushes the bike away from us to increase the tire's contact patch (traction).

And in the end..I may STILL not be saying this in ASCII text the way my brain is trying to say it..but in a nutshell I think we're saying very similar things in slightly different ways.

To the OP..one other point..the ends you've fabricated also make the peg longer. Think of the peg as a lever..the longer the lever the more leverage/force that can be applied at the base when it touches at speed. Take the weight of the bike, your weight, the speed at the point of when the peg touches, and I'm sure MEAT would be able to give us a formula as to how much leverage is being applied to the base of the foot peg in Newtons. In the end, it may mean a snapped peg versus one with some scratches on it from grinding/dragging.