Slip on VS. Full exhaust

jorge1812

So this might be a senseless question, but here it goes. One of the coaches from another organization told me a while back that he could "make" me a Jardine GP-1 FULL exhaust system from just the slip-on. That would save me nearly a thousand dollars, considering the full system is about $1,200 and the slip-on isn't more than 250/300 bucks. He said he could get rid of my catalytic converter to make the bike lighter. Then he would weld straight pipe from my headers onto the slip on. Is this procedure safe for the bike? will it really increase the performance of the bike as a whole?

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I think you can find a full system for less than that. I've got a Leo Vince full system for my 09 R9 that I got on sale from Rider's Discount for $600 a few years ago. Paid the same for a full Akro system for my 2005 GSXR1000 from them as well.

The slip-on only gets rid of your restrictive stock canister. That will allow for better flow, but from what I understand aftermarket systems have a larger diameter in the headers, so that will make a full system trump a slipon since that will also increase exhaust flow..which should provide more power.

The other point is that any exhaust work is pretty much a waste without taking the bike to a shop and having a proper dyno tune done on it. The point of an exhaust isn't just peak power, but a smooth, optimized power curve across all RPM's. I had Karns do my 2006 GSXR600 with a slipon..and it went form 104hp to 108 peak power and the curve went from a little ripply to a perfect arc. The driveability was noticeably improved post-tuning.

mpusch

Micah
jorge1812;299646 wrote: So this might be a senseless question, but here it goes. One of the coaches from another organization told me a while back that he could "make" me a Jardine GP-1 FULL exhaust system from just the slip-on. That would save me nearly a thousand dollars, considering the full system is about $1,200 and the slip-on isn't more than 250/300 bucks. He said he could get rid of my catalytic converter to make the bike lighter. Then he would weld straight pipe from my headers onto the slip on. Is this procedure safe for the bike? will it really increase the performance of the bike as a whole?
I, and several others on the Daytona forum have done just this. I've got a Jardine slipon and I paid a skilled guy I know twenty bucks to cut out the cat and exup valve and weld in a piece of stainless steel. As you'd expect with a normal full system, you'll need a tune to really make it effective.

Sounds better right away though :)

IMG_20131009_175201_092_zpsed943b03.jpg

D-Zum

HondaGalToo;299670 wrote: I may have missed it, but what bike?
Good point Judy.....I totally overlooked that little detail.

mpusch

Micah
09 gsxr 600...If I had to guess.

Btw, I'd like to add that D-zum is right. A quality aftermarket full-system will probably have different size and shape headers and a different merge collector as well. What I did (and what is being proposed) is essentially just a decat. It'll help some, but a true full-system will do more.

D-Zum

Well, you have a decision to make I guess.

I would also like to say there are about a hundred other modifications I would do (suspension, brakes, rearsets, etc) to a bike before I'd get an exhaust.

The Leo Vince I have for my 09 R6 is still in the box..haven't taken the time to actually install it, yet. But that bike's got Ohlins front/rear, Brembo calipers, RCS M/C, and a brake lever guard on it.

It's still my "street bike"...almost 500 miles on it since I bought it new. Just renewed the tags on it for some dumb reason...guess I decided to give Maryland another $104 of my money.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yeah, I was thinking if it was an '06/'07 gixxer, then a slip-on would remove the cat, which it doesn't do for '08 and up. There may be ways to eliminate the cat, but it'll take some fabbing, I'd guess.

D-ZUM is right about doing the other mentioned mods first. I'd add another: spend the money on a good school like YCRS. That'll do more for you than any modification to your bike. "Modifying" the rider works better than modding the bike, since few to none of us can outride these bikes in their stock form anyway. :cool:

jorge1812

Thanks to all of you guys, and lady too :) HondaGal proved an outstanding point. I think I'm just gonna hold off on the exhaust for a while.

borislav

Control Rider
D-Zum;299713 wrote: Well, you have a decision to make I guess.

I would also like to say there are about a hundred other modifications I would do (suspension, brakes, rearsets, etc) to a bike before I'd get an exhaust.

The Leo Vince I have for my 09 R6 is still in the box..haven't taken the time to actually install it, yet. But that bike's got Ohlins front/rear, Brembo calipers, RCS M/C, and a brake lever guard on it.

It's still my "street bike"...almost 500 miles on it since I bought it new. Just renewed the tags on it for some dumb reason...guess I decided to give Maryland another $104 of my money.
Oh boy, if you sold it to me you would have saved $104.00!!!:D