slipper clutch question

eE jeremy

algreen;212474 wrote: Can you describe the mechanics of what you're actually doing to make this happen? This is something I need to work on too...
Make sure you're squeezing the lever with the pads or joint closest to the tips of your fingers so that your fingers can remain bent when squeezing the lever and the throttle closed, if your fingers are fully extended you'll never be able to rotate the throttle while braking. I also prefer the "shorty" levers since you can then let your third and forth fingers just kind of hang off where ever they're comfortable, but you can do it with standard levers just as easiliy, that's just my preference.

Now, when it comes time to blip you keep constant pressure on the brake lever and rotate your wrist using the palm of your hand and thumb to drag across the throttle causing the blip. When you rotate your wrist like this, in order to maintain proper pressure on the brake lever your fingers will actually extend again, which is why it's important to have the "room" to be able to accomplish this technique, also the shorter your throttle pull the easier this action becomes. It will not come naturally and it is something you will have to work at. I practiced this on the street because street riding on my commute to and from work has a lot of stops and starts so you're shifting often. A summer of practicing on the streets even though I couldn't afford to get to the track much really paid off and now I don't even have to think about it.

I do struggle when I jump on other peoples bikes (or even my street bike) that has a different amount of throttle that needs to be applied or has a longer throttle pull to get the RPMs up, but after a few laps you adjust and it becomes second nature again.

some guy #2

I just feather the clutch out on downshifts and it only gets squirrley in 2nd or 1st moving at a good clip. I might tighten the adjustment bolts next oil change to see if it helps any. Now I have a mod to do over the winter!

sobottka

Redlining52;212489 wrote: What I tend to try and do when I do decide I want to blip, is you actually blip the throttle by using kind of your thump or atleast I do, that way you can stay on the brakes.

Their may be other techniques but thats what I find myself doing.

I brake though with my pointer and middle finger though. Though a few weeks ago I was watching MotoGP and saw Casey Stoner just braking with his middle finger.
well some ways are better than others and lets face it, no one here has the skill or equiptment of casey stoner so dont take notes, just admire.
braking with the index and middle finger works best, dont change that but blipping works better when you use the outside of your palm (incluiding the ring and pinky finger). usuing your thumb or index finger requires a much more effort to accomplish a blip (btw- do you see stoner blipping?) and makes braking smothly much more challenging. also play around with brake lever position- in, out, up and down to find a spot that allows you to blip/brake best.

sobottka

eE jeremy;212495 wrote:
Now, when it comes time to blip you keep constant pressure on the brake lever and rotate your wrist using the palm of your hand and thumb to drag across the throttle causing the blip.
although i do recommend blipping with your wrist instead of your elbow, i dont recommend using your index finger or thumb for blipping. i find it difficult to keep even pressure on the brake lever this way but hey ....whatever works for you. ;)

booboo1

Not to thread jack, but quick question. Does it hurt a stock clutch say on a 04 600rr if you are dumping it at a high enough rpm have the back end slip and or hop?

steve p

sobottka;212556 wrote: although i do recommend blipping with your wrist instead of your elbow, i dont recommend using your index finger or thumb for blipping. i find it difficult to keep even pressure on the brake lever this way but hey ....whatever works for you. ;)
That's because you are uncoordinated and can't walk and chew gum.

booboo1;212578 wrote: Not to thread jack, but quick question. Does it hurt a stock clutch say on a 04 600rr if you are dumping it at a high enough rpm have the back end slip and or hop?
It will wear out and groove your clutch hub. The smoother you are on equipment the less wear and tear you will have. Best upgrade you can get for a Honda, other than selling it, is a slipper clutch.

sobottka;212553 wrote:
(btw- do you see stoner blipping?)
You know you can't compare the equipment we ride versus Moto GP. Everyone knows they don't even really ride the bikes, they just sit on them for photo ops.

Corsair

92illpony;212502 wrote: i use to blip but i tend to not blip anymore with the gsxr. If i didn't blip with the rc 51 i would die.
I can't blip my RC51 to save my life. Part of it maybe has to do with it being stock geared (and stock everything else) and I'm blipping at too low of speeds/rpms to be practical. Even when I do match revs/shifts properly the engine braking on that bike feels like I'm being thrown against a brick wall.

My first track bike will have a slipper clutch! I rode Zippy's '02 GSXR w/ a STM in it for a BHF track day and thought it was amazing. I tried a few times to blip for the hell of it, but I couldn't sense any difference in engine/bike behavior when I did or when I didn't blip it.

Redlining52

ronhix;212425 wrote:
However, for increasing / decreasing engine braking, the Yosh EM-Pro would be a far better upgrade item than an aftermarket slipper clutch.
Yosh does not offer the EM-Pro for the 2011 750 yet or I would have bought that.. The AMA teams can get them but not the average joe like myself.

Mikey75702

Redlining52;215810 wrote: Yosh does not offer the EM-Pro for the 2011 750 yet or I would have bought that.. The AMA teams can get them but not the average joe like myself.
You can actually adjust engine braking to a decent degree with any programable engine management system. For example with the power commander, if you want full engine braking from 13k rpm to 8k, just go into the 0% throttle column for those rpm and enter -100% fuel. That will get you the most engine braking, but it will also make off/on throttle transitions in that range more abrupt.

Redlining52

Mikey75702;215824 wrote: You can actually adjust engine braking to a decent degree with any programable engine management system. For example with the power commander, if you want full engine braking from 13k rpm to 8k, just go into the 0% throttle column for those rpm and enter -100% fuel. That will get you the most engine braking, but it will also make off/on throttle transitions in that range more abrupt.
So if I want less engine braking I would add positive fuel to that column.

Mikey75702

Yes, increase the fuel in that column, but dont just got full bore, go slow until you are happy with it. At a certain number it will stop making a difference.

Redlining52

Mikey75702;215836 wrote: Yes, increase the fuel in that column, but dont just got full bore, go slow until you are happy with it. At a certain number it will stop making a difference.
should i be concerned with it making the bike run rich?

Mikey75702

Don't think so... I have actually been changing mine to more engine braking rather then less since my tuner explained all of this to me.

Daddyjama

Someone once told me to not use the clutch like a button, but take time to release lever and that worked for me..

I'm not a blipper..