Slipper clutch

bigbake19703

Ok guy I have another question about my bike. I know its said that my bike the 06 gsxr 600 comes with a slipper clutch. But I was reading that the after market ones are better for racing or track day riders. And I just want some others peoples opinions on the matter. Do you really need an after market slipper clutch or is it just a waste of money?

BigKid

Check the kawi boards to see if there are any tricks to make yours more adjustable. The Yamaha slippers are adjustable (Kind Of) IF you are willing to cut the stock spider spring (which is cheap to replace later). All of this is far cheaper than spending $1000.00 on an aftermarket slipper. A new 09 R1 WITH slipper is one of the reasons I can justify trading in my 05 R1. I have wanted a slipper for my 04 and 05 but the math works for selling the 05 in stock form, selling all the goodies and buying a new 09. Guess the R6 will have to wait for awhile. One more year of screamer parker for me. LOL

brn6604

I have a general question about slipper clutches - how many people have them as just a backup in the event of that not-so-good downshift, and how many people just go down a bunch of gears, drop the clutch and let the slipper do all the work?

Matt H

Slippers really help. My bike does not have one, and it is harder to keep the bike settled when braking late and grabbing downshifts. I have ridden many bikes around the track just this year (04 R6, 08 R6, 04 R1, 08 R1, 05 GSXR 1000, 06 GSXR 750, 08 848), and have a broad base of experience. It's more than just a "backup" for a bad downshift. Since a new bike is not in the cards for me :( , I'm putting a slipper in mine.

Also, the aftermarket ones tend to be a little better due to their adjustability, and their use of ball bearings on the ramps instead of just the metal ramps sliding over each other.

crewnutz

slippers are nice

that said you dont need one to go fast and you DEF dont need an aftermarket one to go fast

stock ones are fine for anyone but Bayliss or Rossi :D

Matt H

Correct - definitely don't NEED one to go fast. But they make things a WHOLE lot easier.

TheGrouch

Slippers make a fool like me appear buttery smooth on corner entry. I rode a non-slippered bike at Putnam last month and nearly shat myself downshifting into T7. The rear was wagging all over the place.

headstart

:agree:

I put a slipper in before my last trackday and I'm kicking myself for not doing it months ago. It just leaves you with one less thing to manage coming into the corner and makes it easier to carry more corner speed. Really nice when you have a tight/slow turn at the end of a good long straight where you have to get on the brakes hard and make sure the bike is settled.

Stall

I personally dont think u need one. But yes it is definately nice to have! I pretty much jus use it when I go down to first on a 600. Other than that I just match shift. Its a feel for me.. I guess it does help with the occassional bad down shifts....

:wow:An Jamie I see u maned up an switched to the R6 lol...

Revvin' Evan

Are slippers allowed in wera/ccs supersport classes if not originally equipped? My 07 600rr didn't come with one and I plan on racing next year but not in the superbike classes.

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
Slipper clutch

My 04 R1 did not have a slipper...lots of tail wag on the downshifts....my 07 R1 has a slipper and it's a beautiful thing. I never have to worry about banging the downshifts ...the rear always stays in line.

Just got an 08 R6 which has a slipper but it doesn't work very well so I'm back to dealing with having the rear dancing around again http://tracktalk.nesba.com/images/smilies/banghead.gif.

I understand that the slipper is adjustable on the R6 so I'll take it apart and make the adjustments over the winter. Bottom line.....a slipper clutch that works is well worth having.

RICKYROADRACER

I'm with TheGrouch on this one way smoother corner entry and no added thought just downshift and let the clutch do it's job. Don't need one to go fast but I'm faster sooner because my r1 has a slipper.

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
08 R6 Clutch mod

I knew the "adjustment" that I mentioned involved removing a spring or changing spring or washer stack heights. Would be nice if we didn't have to take the clutch apart to dial it in. Only had the new R6 at 2 track days so far and there's no question that I'll need to do something to settle the rear down.

Got the following useful reply to my post from Headstart

Saw your post- I just did the clutch mod on my 08 r6 last night in preparation for this weekend. It's really easy to do, just order an a new gasket in case the old rips when you pull it. Probably an hour depending on how easy you get your clutch cover back on- getting the rod and pin to line up was a beeotch for me.

Buy or borrow a clutch holding tool, much better for removing the large clutch nut than using an impact wrench.

I did what is outlined in the 3rd post down, I'll try it out this weekend at Putnam

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showt...ngbull&page=11[/B]
#88 A

BigKid

I believe CCS Superstock means if it is a super part and someone has it in stock then it is legal.

zwampy

My first post...:-D

I got a chance to experience the Slipper on the R6 for the first time and I have to say it could have been a bad situation otherwise. This was all my fault though for not going easy at first to get used to the bike. General consensus is they are GREAT.

My argument is this: isn't the point of track to emphasize one's skills and learn/adapt etc ?
A slipper is just another outside control to make an ok rider a bit better without actually pushing him to learn his bike more and more. The rider then builds dependancy on that slipper without emphasizing his skill building.

This is just a thought...based mostly on the changes going on in F1 with all the gadgetry controlling the cars and such.

Any thoughts please share...i'd like to see all points of view.