Slipper clutch

snikwad

i dont need one, but ive always wanted one.
Also from what i understand a lot of these bikes claiming to have a slipper clutch from the factory really dont, but have what i like to calla "slipper-like" clutch.

Revvin' Evan

snikwad;22764 wrote: i dont need one, but ive always wanted one.
Also from what i understand a lot of these bikes claiming to have a slipper clutch from the factory really dont, but have what i like to calla "slipper-like" clutch.
I hear ya man. Just like the 07 and up 600rr's have Idle Air Bypass thats supposed to reduce back torque like a slipper does...........I guess my Idle Air Bypass system is broke as a mofo :nada:

JASON748

crewnutz;22759 wrote: seriously...........WERA rules, CCS drools lol
:hand: WERA racers are all just Mongo wannabe's.... :nutkick:
But I'm just bitter because WERA doesn't have anything in the Midwest...

But back to the slipper.

zwampy;22753 wrote:

My argument is this: isn't the point of track to emphasize one's skills and learn/adapt etc ?
A slipper is just another outside control to make an ok rider a bit better without actually pushing him to learn his bike more and more. The rider then builds dependancy on that slipper without emphasizing his skill building.
I both agree & disagree with this. I look at a slipper clutch a like I look at a steering damper. For example 99% of bikes don't NEED a damper, with a good suspension set-up and a loose grip on the bars (I would consider this riding skill) it's just not necessary, but most riders have to firm a grip on the bars and self induce headshake. So instead of correcting the problem, they put a damper on the bike and mask the real problem.
That said, the other side of the coin is that in some instances (like on the gas hard out of a slow corner - and hitting some bumps in the track with little or no load on the front) bad handshake will occur and without a damper will turn into a tankslapper... so if you ride with a damper are you masking a lack of skill or are you safe guarding yourself for the what if?
Same goes for a slipper clutch, yea they are a wonderful thing that keeps the bike settled during multiple down shifts for a faster and more confident corner entry. But also in an emergency situation where to jump on the brakes hard and drop down 2 or 3 or even 4 gears at once - you don't really have to worry about the rear bouncing around like it would without a slipper. But it will definitely mask the lack a skill / art of down shifting/rev-matching.

And yes - I currently use both a slipper & a damper on my race bike.

nrcooled

Pulling back an old thread here.

Do the guys that have slippers in their bikes still rev match with the slipper?

I rev-match on every downshift and don't just bang down the gears and let the slipper figure it out. I will say that it's nice to have a fallback in the event that I do screw up the down-shift or grab an extra gear that I didn't intend on.

It seems that the bike is always settled on corner entry and provides a level of confidence.

LesPow

Control Rider
zwampy;22753 wrote: My first post...:-D

I got a chance to experience the Slipper on the R6 for the first time and I have to say it could have been a bad situation otherwise. This was all my fault though for not going easy at first to get used to the bike. General consensus is they are GREAT.

zwampy;22753 said:
My argument is this: isn't the point of track to emphasize one's skills and learn/adapt etc ?
A slipper is just another outside control to make an ok rider a bit better without actually pushing him to learn his bike more and more. The rider then builds dependancy on that slipper without emphasizing his skill building.

This is just a thought...based mostly on the changes going on in F1 with all the gadgetry controlling the cars and such.

Any thoughts please share...i'd like to see all points of view.
It also works for the rider who is at the master skill level, who benefits from the slipper going into turns faster and smoother. Then, at that turn here comes a guy with an older 2001 F4i passing you while texting his mom. Hahaha

DFlowe

I have a slipper and I still rev-match on every downshift. The slipper is nice if you make a mistake, I just want to be as smooth as possible on corner entry.

snikwad

DFlowe;37744 wrote: I have a slipper and I still rev-match on every downshift. The slipper is nice if you make a mistake, I just want to be as smooth as possible on corner entry.
exactly.... :adore:

Folly1

My 06 750 has one. I love it, tho I still blip the throttle.

I also ride a 749 Duc and was looking to put one in that then I learned the correct way to downshift. (Thank you Keith Code ). No one had every told me and shown me how.

You do the clutch, throttle and shift lever as fast as possible and at what seems like the same time. You pull in and release the clutch as fast as possible. At the same time you blip the throttle as fast as possible.

Practice synchronizing these two movements then add the foot movement. Do this while sitting on a non-running bike. Then practice while going slow in the street.

I am so happy with this technique that I would not put a slipper in the DUC if it was free. Just my opinion.

Ben.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I blip the throttle on my R1 (no Slipper clutch). I just downshift on my '05 GSXR 750 (w/slipper), though I try not to abuse it, too much. Bottom line, for me anyways, is one less thing to think about as you're trying to push your personal envelope helps avoid data overload. I still find some of the CR's blipping the throttle, downshifting and passing on the inside like I'm standing still, SO...NO, a slipper is not necessary to go fast.

Another way to think of this is...Are you "old school?". If so, learn the old school ways. If you can't imagine why you would write notes with a paper/pencil when your dingleberry device is easier, go with the slipper clutch...technology moves on!