slipper

jimgl3

all this talk has got me wondering...
1 is the stock slipper on the 07 gsxr 750 adjustable?
2 if it's adjustable, does adjusting it affect the life of it?
3 can it be adjusted to the point that it slips before the rear tire does, safely?

i'm in the same boat as someone else that said if it slips they can't tell it

i do far more engine braking than brake braking and do too often feel the tire skid. soon as i does i figure there goes any chance of looking smooth for the CR's which leads me to another part of this question - does that count against me? i haven't done it yet at Barber but i know i did a lot... way too much at Rd Atlanta, especially T6 & T7

:notsure:

Meat

I have an 05 ZX6R and it has a slipper, that seems to work well and the rear dances a good bit on me at Barber T5/6 (the U-turn at the bottom of the hill near the spider statue...also called Charlotte's Web...I think), but that is just because my rear is so light there due to heavy braking a bit later than some.

Now that I have gotten used to it, I find it rather fun. Makes me 'feel' like I am fast for a turn.

jimgl3

yeah, i actually use the brake in the spider turn and in 10a at Rd Atlanta (oh and now the new T12)

i was very intrigued at Rd Atlanta by the sound that Robert Jensen's bike made coming down the hill into the new T12 someone standing there, don't remember whom, said that was his slipper clutch working. needless to say mine has never made such a sound, but then again neither has any other bike i've ever heard. maybe that's how he sets all those track records??? hee hee

HowNowBrownCow_72

im not familiar w/ the zook, but on the R6 u can pull a few of the 3 pronged springs out, leaving only 1 in of course.
i hear it makes it actually work.

i dont have any serious issues w/ my 600RR not having one under heavy braking.

if u are relying on the slipper to make u smooth, its only hiding bad habits.
once u get smooth throttle and brake control down, the slipper will help u go faster.
but there are fast A guys riding bikes w/o, basically u need to get your skills down first IMO.

HowNowBrownCow_72

if u want to go fast, u will need to learn how to use front brakes effectively.
i watched one of your videos and u were slowing down way before the turns.
its smooth, but in faster groups, riders will be closing on u real quick, and u dont want to get rear ended.

there is a reason they put 2 monster front brakes on modern sportbikes, once u learn to use them properly, its a real quick stop from 150 w/ only 1 or 2 fingers.

i downshift while braking, and rarely use the rear brake at all.
sometimes it comes in handy tho.

jimgl3

o.k. you got my attention
can you tell me which video and which turn(s) because i may or may not have been full on
( not to argue, just so i can know and so i can watch it... i'm not aware of any good video of me)

also i am still on stock pads and lines so i'm not going to be able to stop quite like that, but i hear where you are coming from

dogger

Jim: The fastest riders seem to be doing three things smoothly and in unison on corner entry.
1. Blipping the throttle and rev matching on downshifts.
2. Smoothly but progressively initiating front only braking.
3. Trail braking (front only) deep into the corner.
The fast smooth guys seem to do these things later than some of us mortals. I would suggest working on only one of these things at a time. Let us know if you could use clarification on any of the terms. It takes time to get a feel for each action without placing yourself at risk. Your stock 750 brakes and slipper clutch should be adequate. Have you checked pad wear? Having grabbier brakes might hinder you while mastering trailbraking. If you master the blipping/rev matching you may not need an aftermarket slipper clutch.

jimgl3

yeah, my pads are still like brand new.
i am familiar w/ blipping and rev matching and successful w/ it most times... like i said, the T6-7 at Rd Atl just happens so fast... but got to improve on that
i'm trail braking, but only about 1/2 way to the apex, maybe not even quite that
it's hard to see here,

picture.php

but i am on the brake, but you can tell not very hard at all as the front end is not down hardly at all and i'm off the brake by the time my knee is down... so way too early, could have carried more speed. oh well.
i appreciate all these tips... boy its a lot to digest! thank goodness for B group!

dammyneckhurts

jimgl3;23059 wrote: no doubt i need skills, but is it "bad" to prefer engine braking over using the front brake?
Is it bad? well that depends on your motivation. Are you having a blast out there? Are you comfortable content and happy with your current speed and/or lap times? If the answer is yes then its just fine to coast into the corners not really braking. After all, we do this for shits and giggles so if your smiling thats all that matters.

One glitch in this is when (not if) someone does something unexpected infront of you and you need to scrub off some speed immediatly. Compared to the front brake, the engine is for all intents and purposes completly non effective.

If exploring the capabilities of your bike sounds like something you would like to experience they your definatly going to need to get comfortable using the front brake.
As far as needing anything more than stock pads and lines the OEM equipment is so good on modern bikes the stock stuff is easily good enough to run you with the faster guys in the advanced group at most tracks.

I check my back brake to make sure its working incase I run off the track and am trying to stop in the dirt.....if I didnt check it I would have no idea if it even works cause I never use it!

Keith

Hello Jimg. I have the same bike 06 GSXR750. What I get and ive downshifted one time from 4th to first by accident and the rear tire wailed for about a second and I heard a whooshing noise and that was it. I fig that was the slipper clutch slipping. It was a little unnerving to feel the tire loose grip for a second but once I learned that after that it works im no longer afraid of it. I think the stk slipper clutches work great but mayby not as smooth as a aftermarket one. Its a great oh sh$% I F$%%^^ up forgiver tool if ya know what I meen.

Folly1

Jim,

I have the o6/750 and still blip. I did not realize how much the clutch was doing until I got the duc on the track. I was about to buy a slipper for the duc when Keith Code taught me the right way to blip.

You start the drill with the engine off. You blip the throttle as fast as you can and at the same time you pull in and release the clutch as fast as you can. I mean really fast. Practice then, then add the foot motion, also as fast as possilbe at the same time. If done right, the downshifts are very quick and completely seamless. No drama from the bike, or real tire at all.

It is a lot like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time. It can be practiced at a slow speed in a parking lot. Just get up to 30 in 4th and work rapidly through the gears. It only took me about 10 minutes to perfect it and I am not very coordinated.
This one drill saved me from buying a slipper clutch for the duc, greatly increased the speed of my downshifts, and has freed my attention to allow me to focus more on my speed and the turn.

Send me your email if you can. I want to forward you something that concerns braking.

benpeeples at birch dot com.

Ben.

Ruhe52

Blip with slipper? Why just dump the gears. Jim you can adjust it but it is pretty limited and a little goes a long way. 1/4 turn is a bunch on that set up. Stock setting has a good bit of engine braking.

JVance

Jim, nice to meet you at Barber. I have a 06 750. I don't think it is adjustable. The rear will still wag around if you are braking hard and down shifting fast. The clutch is slipping not free spinning. You need to ride somethnig with no slipper clutch.

John
#607A

NoBull

Honestly I don't see how anybody that hardly use their brakes can move to I!? You'd be such a danger to everybody behind you when you let off the throttle way before the brake markers.

Having fun is the important thing though which you say you do, so just stick with it. :)