So how 'bout them Bridgestone BT-002's

aowens2

I know, I know, and I promise to quit submitting new threads about tires after this.

I just bought my first dedicated trackbike. '04 Suzuki GSX-R600, full track setup, Yoshi full ehaust system and Power Commander.
Dyno sheet shows 112 to the ground, has anybody ever seen a stock motor on a 600 do that?

Anyways, the tires, Bridgestone BT-002R have about 3 or 4 sessions kept up with tire warmers between sessions.
They have very little wear, but have been sitting all winter. So are these a pretty decent tire, and whats your input on their "age"?

Also, if you guys know of a instrument cluster anybody has sitting around for sale that will fit an 2004-05 Suzuki GSX-R600, that'd be great!

Thanks to all.

Burnall4

Can't help you but I just picked up a set of 002's and they are sitting right next to me...got to love that new tire smell :D

Blaise

How old are the tires? On the sidewall it will have a production date. For example...

1405 = 14th week of 2005.

aowens2

Blaise;40718 wrote: How old are the tires? On the sidewall it will have a production date. For example...

1405 = 14th week of 2005.

Front 2806

Rear 3406

Thats gotta be it, the only other thing there is the front and rear match and it says 0601. There ain't no way. These tires look good under up close inspecting, no cracks or signs of any age wear or dry rot.

Blaise

That's definitely the production date.... looking at tires that are nearly 3 years old. Bridgestone isn't going to lie about when they produced them.

It's your call as to whether you feel they're safe to ride on.

Amac955

Just to clarify, are these BT002 RS (track day) or BT002 (DOT Race tires?). If they are the DOTs, they should have the type and compound stamped on the sidewall as well. Type 2, 3, & 4 = Hard, med, & soft I believe.

I have a Front BT-002 DOT type 3 (Medium) with 3 track days on it and I'll be using it for my first couple of track days this season. Granted, I ride an SV so it is a bit easier on tires but I think you'd be fine with what you've got unless your bike was in sub-freezing temperatures all winter.

Amac955

Stones

One more thing on the tire ID issue.

New BT-002RS usually have stickers on them that say BT002 ST. I don't remember what the DOT 002's stickers said. The 002 Race tires are no longer in production as they have been replaced by the BT-003 DOT race tires.

aowens2

They say 002R Race Street??? These are the most track ready tires that I have ever had on a bike so all this still looks confusing to me. But the mentality here is a DOT/Street Legal race tire, very little tread pattern

They should be single compound, but I am not sure of the number identification as to if they are hard, soft, etc. All this is great info to have, thanks.

It there anywhere you can go to get all the explanation of these codes on different tires, even though you guys have been great with help on this, there are a lot of tires out there.

ZxRegg6r

Burnall4

I also just purchased a set of bt002's and haven't installed them yet. Me too, I enjoy the smell when I walk by. It's like cat nip.

Can't wait till I get to the pace where you cook them on the track and smell em in the pits!

Love this forum you find out are like you and or worst. Lol. Love it!

celticninja

Bt-002 r/s

I ran this tire last year and will do the same this year. I just bought a new set friday $239.00 I thing this is a great tire for the track. the best hypersport tire, alot better than PP's and probably better than DC III.

buwamd

last year I rode 2 sets of 002RS's then I got 4 sets of medium 003's, the rs tires are really good comparatively but the 003 will go just abit futher but wear faster. Then I got the dunlop 211GP's they stuck like crazy glue but the rear lasted about 2 hours then looked like a melted piece of poo. I personally have no loyalty to any one tire brand I use to many to care as long as they turn and stick till the cords show thru. but you should be happy with the RS's I liked them.

brveagle

I run "street" tires on my track bike and am thinking about switching from the 2ct to the 002's. This thread is highly encouraging.

Sorry to threadjack but has anyone ever ran both the 2ct and the 002's on the track? I'd just like to know where the 002's stack up at.

wally

I'm pretty sure the street/track BT002's have single compound in the rear and two compounds on the front. I could never find any of the RS models with the 2,3, or 4 compounds. Look forward to running them on the Repsol.

chaun

brveagle;40994 wrote: I run "street" tires on my track bike and am thinking about switching from the 2ct to the 002's. This thread is highly encouraging.

Sorry to threadjack but has anyone ever ran both the 2ct and the 002's on the track? I'd just like to know where the 002's stack up at.

Yes... the 002s will keep gripping where the 2ct would start to break loose on the drive out of a turn. I also found the transitioning from side to side to be smoother on the 002. If you ride your bike on street and track then you'll also like the fact that the 002 (being a heavier tire) absorbs bumps in the road better.

brveagle

chaun;41051 wrote: Yes... the 002s will keep gripping where the 2ct would start to break loose on the drive out of a turn. I also found the transitioning from side to side to be smoother on the 002. If you ride your bike on street and track then you'll also like the fact that the 002 (being a heavier tire) absorbs bumps in the road better.
Just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Rick Johnson

I ran two fronts and three rears of the BT002 races on my R6 and they did great at
an A group pace.I'll be racing on the 003's this year.

aowens2

OK, the 002's were sticky as F**K this weekend, thats @ a I group pace at Jennings this weekend in the 75 deg. weather. The rear never though of coming loose, I had the front wash out a couple times, but after I dropped the front pressure to 30hot, it was "ain't no problem" status. First time I have run a race tire so its still all learning at this point. Hope this help all you guys.

And as always, still looking for help.

celticninja

I told you they were a great tire especialy for the price. but I always ran them at 29/29 or 30/30 cold maybe I'll try less psi thanks for the feed back.
Marko