So , I was going to ...

Andrei

replace the swing arm because spool mounts have broken off. I also suspected the piece may be out of wack as whole too. So, as I was about to take the chain off, I notice clipon is missing on the master link ! - an accident waiting to happen ( as if I did not have enough ... )

I now think that the chain of crashes I had recently may have led to me to replace the swingarm and consecutively inspect the drivetrain , hopefully saving a major one. Unreal ! j/k

Anyway, lesson learned - NEVER , NEVER use clip on links w/o safetywire!

Trent1098S

Wow.. nice catch man! A chain coming apart would ruin your day pretty damn quick.

Seems like something to add to the tech checklist.. but it may be a pain to spot it without slowing the whole show down..

Andrei

to hell with the day, it would ruin me ( and my bike)

it would make sense to ask the kind of link installed. go from there. Though truthfully , I do not understand why manufacturers produce them in the first place. Clipon links do come off.

dlockhart5x

I have not lost a clip in 5 years and I change my gearing and swap chains to match often. Sprocket alignment is critical. If you side load the links they can pop. Do not trust the marks on your swingarm to be accurate.

Get everything lined up, clean the link, free of grease and oils. Place a dab of RTV silicone on the link and then install the clip. Lastly a bit of safetywire around the link and clip to finish it off.

If you are not dialing your gearing often a simple press/rivet link is pretty fool and alignment proof.

Andrei

yea , technically mine didn't come off either and the clip was in place for many month after installation. and then - gone. also don't forget 600cc is a different stress on the chain then 250 ,yet link is the same... anyway, I've seen people safewiring links. it never occured to me how important that actually was.
Thank God , I'm yet to learn how to use the throttle or that defect would have let me know about itself much sooner. :)

stephenjpauls

Andrei,

I'm very happy to hear that you caught this before it resulted in injury or major dammage to your bike. Hope to see you at blackhawk!

Andrei

xlink;76849 wrote: replacing the swingarm because of broken spools? why not just weld them?
not very cost effective when the part itself is $60 . besides , my old swing arm has been through some crazy stuff. last thing it needs is welding heat stress....

sobottka

I had a 1/4 inch tab welded on my gsxr swingarm for about $20 then drilled and tapped it myself. no issues.
why take the risk? :notsure: buy a chain tool and use the rivit link!!!

mx558

sobottka;76894 wrote: I had a 1/4 inch tab welded on my gsxr swingarm for about $20 then drilled and tapped it myself. no issues.
why take the risk? :notsure: buy a chain tool and use the rivit link!!!
+1 not worth the risk

Matt

Andrei;76884 wrote: not very cost effective when the part itself is $60 . besides , my old swing arm has been through some crazy stuff. last thing it needs is welding heat stress....

unless you already have the new swingarm, measure it up to see how true it is.

i've welded up my spools and they're fine.

snikwad

i went to road atlanta back in april and did 2 days, with a brand new chain, clip on type.
when i got home, and started to unload the bike it looked just like that.
well i safety wired the damn thing, as my chain is weird and i cannot find a rivet type Master to fit...

Andrei

Matt;76923 wrote: unless you already have the new swingarm, measure it up to see how true it is.

i've welded up my spools and they're fine.
don't confuse me , I have already set my mind. :) j/k

snikwad;76926 wrote:
i went to road atlanta back in april and did 2 days, with a brand new chain, clip on type.
when i got home, and started to unload the bike it looked just like that.
well i safety wired the damn thing, as my chain is weird and i cannot find a rivet type Master to fit...
ditto. I'm not able to find rivet master link for my chain.

ceptorman

avizpls;76812 wrote: how do you safetly wire this link? Mine are riveted, but I have link on wifes bike...
You safety wire the outside of the link around the post, instead of using the clip

Doug O

Andrei;76944 wrote: don't confuse me , I have already set my mind. :) j/k

ditto. I'm not able to find rivet master link for my chain.
Most modern sport bike chains are either 520, or 525. (size) What brand / size chain do you have?

Andrei

Doug O;77963 wrote: Most modern sport bike chains are either 520, or 525. (size) What brand / size chain do you have?
I have chain rivet tool. Chain is RK 520 XSO and I could not find master link for it locally.