Something to think about

barry38

I was laid off from my job as a service manager at a multi-line motorcycle dealership this past Tuesday. Business has been in the toilet the last year or so, and it was not really unexpected. Luckily my wife has a good job, and I have a retirement check from spending 22 years in the USAF, plus I get to collect unemployment.

I've been working in the motorcycle business for over 10 years, and I know alot of people around the country in the business. Every one that I talk to says the same thing, business is horrible. In the past 6 months, two independent repair shops and one franchised dealership have closed, and several other are struggling bad. The shop where I worked has less than half of the staff it did when I started there 2 years ago. It would be an understatement to say times are tough in the mototcycle business.

I'm going to ask a favor of all of my fellow Nesba brothers and sisters. Support you local dealers and repair shops whenever possible. And if they are a supporter of Nesba, all the better. If there is some work you need to get done before next season, get it done now if you can afford to do it. If you are thinking about a new bike in the spring, think about doing now. I bet your local dealer has a good selection and will be happy to give you a great deal. Winter is a slow time even when business is good, with the way things are now, some shops may not make it through the winter.

Thanks in advance!

Motofun352

Control Rider
Barry, sorry to hear of your situation. Hope the best for you and I have to believe that you will land on your feet.

A good friend of mine just had to file chapter 7 for his MC business. Things are bad all over but the power sports industry is down about 50% (at least for the Japanese big 4). For an industry that lives on a 10 to 15% margin this is like eating your seed corn....even when things pick up the survivors will take a long time to recover.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Barry, I'm really sorry to hear that. I was right where you are 11 months ago. I sure hope everything works out and you find something else soon. If I know you at all, you won't want to sit around collecting unemployment for very long. Best of luck in finding something else. You could always go back to cages and let people "take your balls, grind them up and feed them back to you", to paraphase a friend of mine!

mattf

Sorry to hear about your situation Barry, but I know exactly what you mean about supporting your local small businesses (I run a small business, so I know).

Hang in there, and best of luck!