Spare Part Essentials

Mminacap

What are some essential spare parts to bring to a track day. I'm daydreaming about the rack at work again and figured I'd ask.
All i can come up with is Brake pads/fluid and Motor oil. What else would be a good idea to have?
Thinking about spare wheels and tires. my bike is not a dedicated track bike (yet;)) so would it be worth street wheels/track wheels?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
-Matt

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
pads/fluid, oil for sure.
Once you have a dedicated track bike, if you switch to race tires, a spare set of wheels with street tires isn't a bad idea for those days when the weather is less than optimal.

I also bring extra distilled water/water wetter
Clip ons - the replaceable bar part, assuming you have Woodcraft, Vortex, etc.
Footpegs
Extra bolts, hose clamps, c-clips
Zip ties
duct tape
electrical tape
fuses
tools
air tank
tire pressure gauge

That's about all I can think of right now. I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing! Some of the stuff isn't spare parts, but things I always have.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
You need extra beer too for the end of the day!

Judy's about nailed it. Bring any and all spares you can that you have. Bars, levers, cables, pegs, fasteners are all good extras to have with you.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Matt
I could've went on and on but you get the idea, to me these are essential items to finish your day in the event of.

* Front fairing stay
* Brake and clutch reservoir
* Master cylinder
* Levers both sides
* Replacement bars
* Wind sheild
* Throttle tubes
* Throttle housing
* Grips
* Pegs both sides
* Brake foot lever
* Clutch foot lever
* Chain
* Swing arm
* Helmet
* Full gear leathers, gloves, back protector, etc
* Clutch plates
* Brake pads
* Brake cable
* Clutch cable
* Throttle cable
* Extra wheels

Mminacap

Thank you everyone!! great information, definitely need to work my way to getting more spare parts hah.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Wow! I hope I never need to replace my swing arm at the track. But seriously I haven't ever replaced a clutch. How hard is it?
I'm not suggesting this stuff because I would like to know the answer to the same question. Should all of the fluids that the bike needs be added to the list and maybe an oil filter cause you never know what might happen? Rags and something to soak up spills in your pit area. I would rather have it and not need it but I don't want to tote extra stuff around for nothing.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Haha. I just bring what I think I'd be able to easily change due to a small get-off. If the bike has significant damage beyond a handlebar or footpeg, chances are (for me, anyway) it's going to take too long to fix. If it's that badly trashed, I'd want to do a thorough inspection to make sure everything is safe. Other folks don't mind rebuilding a lot of stuff at the track. Depends on how much you want to bring, your mechanical skills, and how much time you want to spend wrenching.

mpusch

Micah
Wow! I hope I never need to replace my swing arm at the track. But seriously I haven't ever replaced a clutch. How hard is it?
I'm not suggesting this stuff because I would like to know the answer to the same question. Should all of the fluids that the bike needs be added to the list and maybe an oil filter cause you never know what might happen? Rags and something to soak up spills in your pit area. I would rather have it and not need it but I don't want to tote extra stuff around for nothing.

There's definitely a balance between bringing some helpful things and carting around a scrapyard.

Clutch replacement is pretty straight forward, and if you have the plates and such you could probably get it done in an hour or two. At least with my bike that's the case.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
It has been several years since I was in this position, but for this year, my extra parts I carry is my "B" bike. Gonna take the normal stuff with me - levers, clip ons, foot pegs. Anything semi-serious, and I'll just swap bikes. :D

Motofun352

Control Rider
Most race-prepped bikes actually crash pretty well. The stuff that "sticks out" is the stuff that can get hammered. Handle bars, foot pegs, etc. If the crash is so big that the major components are compromised then my guess is trying to fix it at the track AND then trusting the repair job might not be a wise decision...not to mention your physical condition.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
What about tools? I know that you need a complete assortment of tools for your specific bike but what else? I came up with a drill and bits and a breaker/cheater bar. I'm drawing a blank after that.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
What about tools? I know that you need a complete assortment of tools for your specific bike but what else? I came up with a drill and bits and a breaker/cheater bar. I'm drawing a blank after that.
Socket wrenches, particularly the sockets you need for your axles. Folks usually have common sizes, but axle bolts vary.
Screwdrivers. Allen wrenches. Pliers. Open end/box wrenches. Safety wire pliers, if you safety wire. Torque wrench. Breaker bar.

Bottle opener for the beer at the end of the day! I have one safety wired to my cooler!

Last edited:

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I just bring an extra bike! Why waste time off the track??????
I used to do that, then I realized I would rather have spare parts just sitting around. Most people with spare bikes swap parts, something about the comfort of the A bike. :cool:

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I used to do that, then I realized I would rather have spare parts just sitting around. Most people with spare bikes swap parts, something about the comfort of the A bike. :cool:

Seriously I do both. I usually carry the following....

Fairing stay
Clip-ons
Rearset parts
second set of wheels, extra carrier
Clutch (full clutch with pack)
Full assortment of various hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, gaskets, gasket maker, zip ties)

For anything more than that, I'd move to my spare bike.

Also, the spare bike has been helpful for friends that ball up their bike so that they don't waste a 20 hour round trip and not get to ride.

For tools, I'm the WRONG guy to ask. I take a full height roll-on tool box, filled with both metric and SAE regular and stubby gear wrenches, combination wrenches, full complete sets of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 short and tall metric and SAE sockets (including the 32/34/36mm ones for axles, steering head nuts, etc), screw drivers, allen wrenches, all kinds of pliers, safety wire/pliers, bike specific tools, 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrenches. That roll-on is purely for my race trailer. Also, a pancake compressor, and bike specific tools. Milwaulkee cordless impact wrench, cordless drills, feeler gauges, crescent wrenches - heck just about everything you'd need to do anything less than an engine rebuild. I decided long ago that for track weekends (car or bike) I'm better off having a complete trailer set rather than trying to move stuff from my shop to my trailer and back all the time. I'm a tool junky.