Spare tire mount?

RADAR Magnet

This is a question for everyone with an enclosed trailer - how do you mount your spare tire inside the trailer? I've searched the forum and not seen that discussed much; checking internet sites usually leads to options for mounting externally. I found one thing for internal but there's so little to it that I can't figure out how it actually holds the wheel in place. I figured it wouldn't be that hard to find some kind of basic bracket but I'm starting to think I figured wrong. How are you guys doing it? Thanks.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
The trailer place attached mine to the wall. If I get a chance, I'll take it off and take a pic. It's been so long since I even looked at the spare, I forget what the mounting hardware looks like. Maybe I'll even check the pressure in that spare, too. :doh:

1literduceater

3/4" and a 1" pipe (I got the black pipe - think its a gas pipe) from Lowes or HD. Get the coorsponding flange as well. Thickiest metal self tapping screw you can find. Have to check with what I used when I get home. All I did was to find the stud. Grabbed the flange. Marked the holes. Predrilled a small pilot hole. Put the flange up and threw two self tapping screws through it. Then two wood screws in the other holes. Screwed the pipe in and then hung the wheel up. To hold it in place I just screw on a PVC "T". Works good. Some drill holes and put a locking pin in instead of what I did.

I can post pics tonight.

1literduceater

Shoooot! I need to learn to read...I thought you meant for your bike.

For the trailer tire I actually did the same thing just used thicker pipe and flange.

I just lay mine flat in the V nose (6X12 V nose trailer) then pull the spare out and use it as a weight to hold down one of the legs of the canopy. Gives me more interior room since I also stay in the trailer over night.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have the Harbor Freight spare tire carrier. However, it is on the outside of the trailer. For $13 it's hard to beat.

http://www.harborfreight.com/trailer-spare-tire-carrier-93341.html

image_2675.jpg

stkr

RADAR Magnet;193517 wrote: I've seen this bit there's so little to it that I haven't figured out how it holds the wheel in place. The plate looks like it mounts to the wall but what actually secures the wheel?
This one is designed so that the bolt/stud goes through one of the wheel stud holes in the rim (trailer tire, not bike tire). The nut holds the tire in place. I'm pretty sure this is based on the wheel/tire resting on the floor for most of it's support though.

http://pitposse.com/sptiho.html

The Harbor Freight one is designed to FULLY support the weight of the wheel/tire combo.

JGardy_781

stkr;193529 wrote: I'm pretty sure this is based on the wheel/tire resting on the floor for most of it's support though.
Using the pit posse thing, I have mine elevated about 6 inches above one of the wheelwells on the side of my trailer. Just sort of hangs there in mid-air on the sidewall. Yet to have an issue with it over around 10-15k miles on the trailer over the past year and a half.

/j

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
JGardy_781;193532 wrote: Using the pit posse thing, I have mine elevated about 6 inches above one of the wheelwells on the side of my trailer. Just sort of hangs there in mid-air on the sidewall. Yet to have an issue with it over around 10-15k miles on the trailer over the past year and a half.

/j
Mine looks similar to that. The trailer wheel is held on by the post through one lug nut hole, secured with a lugnut. The post was mounted into a stud in the trailer wall. Mine is head-height off the floor, and it's not been a problem for the 9 years and thousands of miles I've had it.

I just peeked at mine under the tire cover. It is a post held to the tire with one lug nut. On my setup, the post is attached to a square piece of metal with etrack clips on it. It's then clipped into a small piece of etrack that's mounted to the studs in the trailer wall.

RADAR Magnet

Thanks to all for the input. I ordered the bracket from Pit Posse. I too thought it should be mounted low so that the weight of the tire rests on the floor but good to hear others have logged plenty of problem-free miles with it mounted higher. Hopefully that didn't just jinx you!