speedo

fr3sh

i have a 02 f4i that im going to be using for trackdays with nesba this year. i purchased it from a guy that used it as a stunt bike. my question is will i be ok running on the track without a speedo and tach or do i need to come up with the money and get one?

avizpls

#11-A
Nah not at all. Infact, you might find that some people SUGGEST removing the speedo or taping over it. I for one cant say I EVER look at my tach while I'm on track. You should just know when to shift.

fr3sh

i hardly ever look at my tach/speedo on the street. hints prolly the reason i get speeding tickets. ha so i should be ok without them. i figured so i just wanted to see everyone elses thoughts to it

kawaholic

i do like having my tach and shift light. i agree with taping over the speedo. i haven't taped over mine but i've finally stopped peeking at it. it really does help to just be able to feel your speed and know if your set up for the turn without having to look at the speedo. i've heard it mentioned if you need to look at the speedo your prolly not going fast enough into the turn and not looking where you should be. i know i'm guilty of it.

mattf

I taped over my speedo the last couple of years.....but left the tach face so I could see it. In the end, tach being visible makes no real difference anyway, I never look at it.

Speedo, yeah who cares you don't need it, but I would scour ebay and get a tach for your track bike.

We say we don't look at them and that may be true, but when something goes wrong we are often looking at our gauges for somekind of information on WTH is going on.

I'd get a tach.

BZ

fr3sh

i thought about getting just a tach. cycle gear sells a tach for like $25.00. just does rpms and hourmeter. i just dont see spending the $150-300 for a used speedo/tach for the f4i if i wont even use it

kawaholic

Bubba Zanetti;169478 wrote: Speedo, yeah who cares you don't need it, but I would scour ebay and get a tach for your track bike.

We say we don't look at them and that may be true, but when something goes wrong we are often looking at our gauges for somekind of information on WTH is going on.

I'd get a tach.

BZ
i agree. i don't necessarily "look" at my tach but it is in my peripheral vision when i'm winding it up down the straights. i try not to wring the ever living shit outta my bike. not sure how the op's cluster is set up on his bike but mine has a shift light, oil pressure light and fuel injection warning. i know most of the time when the oil idiot light comes on it's usually too late but i still like to have it.

maybe you can find a cheap used cluster on fleabay?

edit:

ok i took a look and found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CBR600-F4i-F-4i-Gauges-Speedometer-Tachometer-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a4a79be9QQitemZ290525256681QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

not what i'd call cheap and it doesn't seem like there are too many available. maybe someone here has some you could get or try some honda forums. i'll keep an eye out for you.

kawaholic

that one i just linked to was $125 (boy that number's popular around here lately...lol) + shipping so yeah i guess about 140-150.

Wink

Speedo on any bike that I own is taped over. Three of my bikes don't have a tach/speedo on them.

Completely unnecessary if you listen to the bike, and shift before you rev limit.

Just my .02

gkotlin

Speedo isn't necessary. The tach. When you bounce off the rev limiter a few times, your brain learns what the engine sounds like at that point and you'll learn to shift before.

jfeagin

I probably shouldn't do it, but sometimes I look at the speedo on a straight. It's helped me man up and twist the throttle more on tracks like Summit Main or T-bolt. No time to look down while riding Beaver or JC, say. Having the tach for reference at first is likely more useful. But I do like having the shift light. When I'm most thoroughly into a groove, I don't even hear my engine but I can see the light just on the edge of my vision.

fr3sh

sounds like everyone is leaning to no tach. so imma spend the extra money on another track day and skip the tach