Sport bike a must?

Hoot

I ride a 1991 Honda Nighthawk 250cc. New rider (2 yrs). Love the idea of trackdays. Public roads are rather dull, honestly. Is there room for me and my bike? I fully understand the Sportbike advantage but I’m working on it. Close to Summit Point or even VIR. Thanks!

bmart

Control Rider
Bobblehead may also rent something that you may have more fun on. Just a thought. Emerson?

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
A 91 250 will be a bit slower on the track, but no reason you can't out and enjoy the track while you look for a bike and decide what you're wanting to ride in the future. You'll fit right in in novice, and you learn more on a slow bike anyway, it will help you later down the line when/if you upgrade. Shenny would be particularly fun on something like that.

Cheap (2-4k) entry level bikes are gonna be R3s and SV650s, older (<'08) kawi/suzu/yamaha.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Do your first day on the Nighthawk, see if you like it. On a very rare occasion, some don't, but that's rare, lol. As mentioned, the Shenandoah track at Summit would be perfect for a small bike, that would be a great first day. The Summit Main track has a very fast straight, but as long as you stay on line, folks will go around.

Plenty of folks ride standard bikes too. Cruisers aren't a good choice due to lack of cornering ground clearance.

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
To the OP, a few things that come to mind (that you can do now).

Go to the home page -- n2td.org -- and read the following links (under the 'Track Day' menu):

- typical track day
- rider classes
- faq
- daytime schedule

Save reading the riders manual for last if you choose to read it before the 2024 riding season starts.

The 2024 track day schedule hasn't been posted on the site just yet but sounds like the Summit Point track is the closest to you.

In my opinion, riding Summit Point Main circuit (rather than Shenandoah) will be a better, first track day experience for you. The Main track has more open space (for being overtaken) with less twisting and turning. Less distraction and more focus on your riding . My 2 cents.

Hoot

Good call. Also, is street gear ok for Novice-first day? Eventually, will need to upgrade.

Laszlo

I did my first track day on a NC750x DCT on Pirelli Scorpion STRs. It was a hoot…then traded in bike for more road focused . . . Then bought a track bike; so as others noted…if you like it, just be ware!

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
Good call. Also, is street gear ok for Novice-first day? Eventually, will need to upgrade.
You will need a leather suit (2-piece ok, but it must have a 360 zipper between the top and bottom) boots and gloves, in addition to a full face helmet.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Here's a link to the Riders' Manual that will outline gear requirements: https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/N2-Riders-Manual_v2.0.6.pdf

As tad stated, leathers are required but can be 2-piece with a full circumference zipper. The gloves need to be gauntlet style. The manual says textile suits like Aerostich are allowed in Novice, but again would need to be full circumference zipper. Riding jeans won't be allowed.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President

No...absolutely not. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Sounds harsh, but that's reality.

A couple years ago I was doing a MiniGP day with my son at Sandy Hook Speedway north of Baltimore. I had a Grom at the time and it was a hoot. I noticed a guy in work boots, jeans, riding jacket in my F1 group as we gridded up to go out for practice. I thought, "Kinda odd...but it's MiniGP..so OK." They sent us all out and I was right behind him. T1's a left, and we got through there fine....he's headed to T2 and the Honda 125 he's on tosses him. He tried to get up and the pain in his left leg hit him about that exact moment I thought I'd avoid him going to the inside. He fell into my path and I barely missed him and luckily everyone else missed hitting him or his bike too. Rob Miller took the Gator out and brought him off the track to continue the day....when the guy got back from the hospital...Leg broken in two places and surgery scheduled for the next Tuesday.

You want to engage in a high risk high speed activity/sport, skimping on safety is never a wise idea.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
Your going to get a lot of information your first day so riding a bike your comfortable on would be helpful. And like Judy said use it to see if you like trackdays.

I started on a gs500 and today on the smaller tracks like Shenandoah and Jefferson I use my KLX300sm (baby motard)

I ride a 1991 Honda Nighthawk 250cc. New rider (2 yrs). Love the idea of trackdays. Public roads are rather dull, honestly. Is there room for me and my bike? I fully understand the Sportbike advantage but I’m working on it. Close to Summit Point or even VIR. Thanks!

A great way to properly fast forward your learning experience is to take N2’s New Rider Program with Omar (N2 Control Rider / Coach).

Channeling my inner Princess Jasmine, it’s a whole new world.

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.

You've gotten some responses to this question. Does you're definition of 'street gear' meets/exceeds what's described in the N2 rider's manual?

For # 4, over-the-ankle boots; preferably, boots for track/race use.

PERSONAL EQUIPMENT NEEDED
1. Helmet, undamaged, full‐face DOT, SNELL, or European standard approved, with eye
protection. No flip‐up helmets allowed.
2. Leather riding suit; for a two piece suit a full circumference zipper is required. Airmesh‐
style suits (where you can see your skin through them) will NOT be permitted in any
group. Textile suits like Aerostich are only allowed in Intro and Novice. They will be
allowed in the Intermediate group only if they have knee sliders, but a leather suit is
recommended. All other groups are required to have animal hide based suits.
3. No jeans allowed. Rental leathers are available.
4. Motorcycle specific boots designed to protect your feet are required, and race style
boots with high quality armor are highly recommended. Work boots or fashion boots
will not be allowed. Rental boots are available from your trackside vendor.
5. Leather gauntlet‐type gloves that cover the wrists and leave no skin exposed.
6. Back protector (strongly recommended)