sportbike VS MX suspension

lbsaxman

Control Rider
hey guys I am interested in building a GP bike built from MX equipment , is there a huge difference in the forks of a CR250 and a gsxr600 . is it possible to get CR 250 forks to work well on track ? what about the rear shock . any advice is greatly appreciated !!

I'm sure the forks/shock would have to be re-valved/re-sprung to soften them up a bunch. That motocross suspension is built with killer whoops and landings from big triples in mind. What about the length of each also ? I'm thinking back to how long my '03 CR250 shock was, compared to the Ohlins that I put on my R6....will you be able to get the chassis low enough ?

When I raced MX the guy had my '03 for a few weeks (we were friends) changing the shim stacks to get everything plush for the small bumps, yet keep it stiff enough for the big stuff....so I'm thinking it will take a ton of work to get them right for pavement. Just my thoughts though, I don't know much about those GP/motocross weapons......other than they look like a hoot on the right track !!

PawPaw

A lot of the Supermoto's start out as motocross bikes, putting the proper spring in for your weight and setting the sag is critical then you can adjust the rebound and compression to dial in for the pavement.