sprocket changes per track ?

soxxerms

i have 2 sprockets on my rear a 39 and 40 but i was wondering who changes theirs out per track? ( ninja zx 10r )

if so what size are you changing too ?

granted keep in mind i will be running the south eastern region area for tracks

barber, jennings,nashville, road atlanta etc

i just curious if a standard sprocket is fine or do you actually need to have different sprockets per track

could not find anything on the search area to cover this issue.

thanks

stkr

Stock gearing is fine, but there are reasons for changing your gearing. I'm not sure what your stock F/R setup is on the 10R.

My stock gearing on the gsxr-600 is 16/45 (2.81 ratio). I now run a 15F, and only change the rear sprocket to either a 46 (3.07 ratio) or a 48 (3.20 ratio). The 46 works well at Road America with the looong straights, and keeps me from getting run over by the liter bikes. The 48 works well for short/technical tracks since it gives me better accelleration out of the turns.

I ran the 15/48 combo at Barber and I still only shifted into 5th gear a few times when I was on a good pace. The 15/46 at Road America had me "almost" hitting the rev-limiter in 6th gear when I got to my brake marker for turn-1.

I think it boils down to personal preference as to how you want the bike to respond. Changing gearing can also help change you shift points so that you can eliminate the need to change gears while leaned over in the turns. That's why you have to figure out what works best for you, and what areas you're willing to compromise for added benefits in the other ones.

I got lucky, and when I bought my used track bike, I got a whole set of rear sprockets from 44 to 48, and two fronts 15/16.

soxxerms

very funny thing is i understand your sprocket sizes in comparsion to the way they preform on the track but when u put 2:81 u totally lost me lol

i'm thinking about getting a 41 for my bike and trying it out to see and if it dont work on that session change back. so i will know where the bike is best and work it from there.
i know the 39 back sproket gives me tons of top end which is not good for barber. i need 41 to work out of the corner better.

i basically understand what your getting at... and thanks.

stkr

:D

It's just the gear ratio of the rear to front sprocket. Divide the rear teeth by the front teeth to get the ratio. 45/16=2.81

Low # --> topend
High # --> accelleration

nukinfuts

On my SV650 I use a 14T front vs a stock 15T. I use this setup no matter where I am. The SV is down on power so the extra grunt is needed, and top speed is exactly the same.

In Comparison, on my 03 954, I tried a -1 front sprocket and the front tire was in the air most of the time, not good for traction :) Stock gearing works well for me on that bike, however I have yet to take it to Road America..

hank

I agree with the above - stock gearing is fine... especially on a ZX10 where there is far more power than needed for a track day.

Unless you are in the top 5 of the group racing for cash or pie, spend your time & focus elsewhere...

dlockhart5x

table

I carry a full compliment of gearing 13-15 front 38-46 rear and 3 chains to maintain geometry. Using the table I can adjust F/R combos until I find what I need.

I'll leave internal gearing out, cuz most street bikes don't have that option.

I'm thinking pecan pie tonight.

soxxerms

hank;27563 wrote: I agree with the above - stock gearing is fine... especially on a ZX10 where there is far more power than needed for a track day.

Unless you are in the top 5 of the group racing for cash or pie, spend your time & focus elsewhere...
no i far from the top 5 and or racing for cash. and i agree with you bro, working on my braking and speed right now.
which is a reason i asked on sprockets to see if it was a needed option.

Rick Johnson

On my R1 I went down 1 in the front and up 2 in the rear and it pulls really hard.Never hit the rev limiter at Road Atl. or on VIR full with that long back straight.

rayten

I disagree that the only time to change is when racing. There are plenty of reasons to change / track, and doing so will help make you smoother and ultimetely faster. As stated: shifting, or even needing to mid-coner either up or down, is downright dangerous. If you are at the limiter, mid corner, whether you change of not can spit you off. sure, go faster in the next gear, and you are golden, but maybe the next gear, you run out of talent...., a sprocket change would be better.

Mr. Blindrider

I change gearing for all the tracks I go to. Makes it easier, but that's me. :D

Some examples
Barber 1 down, 2 up Trying 1 down 1 up this weekend
RA 1 down
RRR 1 down 2 up

Backmarker

Control Rider
soxxerms;27431 wrote: i have 2 sprockets on my rear a 39 and 40 but i was wondering who changes theirs out per track? ( ninja zx 10r )

if so what size are you changing too ?

thanks

If your at the stock numbers.......just drop one in the front and ride it. After you get used to that.... then try a little more .

Wink

dlockhart5x;27567 wrote: I carry a full compliment of gearing 13-15 front 38-46 rear and 3 chains to maintain geometry. Using the table I can adjust F/R combos until I find what I need.

I'll leave internal gearing out, cuz most street bikes don't have that option.
Dave, Dave, Dave... you chopped up my Chart. The original Chart shown below shows WHY and WHEN you need to change your gear ratios.

ApexJunkieSprocketSheet.jpg

Be sure to read the stuff near the bottom of the chart in order to understand what difference changing ratios makes.

Hope that helps.

soxxerms

Backmarker;65969 wrote: If your at the stock numbers.......just drop one in the front and ride it. After you get used to that.... then try a little more .
i have one down in the front and went 2 up in the back on my liter bike. but i have a zx6r now an its one down in the front 2 up in the back and its like 2nd gear is to high but 3rd is too low ( 42 rear sprocket ) so i was thinking of upping it to a 43 and changing the tire size down from a 55 to a 50 to get my gears and speeds up.
i might be way off and wrong but just running options and ideas.