sprocket question :)

toptaz1000rr

ok ... so i am wondering ...

some guys have STACKS of sprockets in their trailers... i know to change depending on the track they ride on ...

whats the rule of thumb... as far as what sprockets are for what ?

IE: .... i have a 43 on my bike now.... soooo.....

what "KIND/TYPES" of tracks would i go HIGHER... and which ones would i go LOWER?

thanks ...

PJZOCC624

Having had a 1000RR (04), I personally didn't find the need to start swapping out sprockets for different tracks. I found the bike had plenty of giddyup even from down ~5k. I doubt you'll really need to do too much until you really start getting fast. That said...

Shorter tracks (more technical tracks) typically you would want shorter gearing (JC, Pocono East, etc) to keep your revs high. Longer tracks (faster tracks, longer straights) you would want taller gearing to maximize your bikes top speed (Summit Main, Pocono FUSA, etc). A bigger sprocket (more teeth) in the rear or smaller (less teeth) in the front will shorten up your gearing. General rule: +2 in the rear = -1 front (roughly). Remember: if you starting swapping out sprockets, you're gonna need a longer chain, especially if you go +2 or more in the rear. Hope this helps/makes sense!

Again, on that 1KRR, I kept the gearing stock. Now if you're on a 600...

toptaz1000rr

perfect exactly what i wanted to know..

so no changes and no spending money on sprockets for a while for me ...lol

thank you alot

Folly1

The sprockets might be cheap on e-bay. I have not checked. I did spend two days at little talledega with a stock 06, 750. I learned by the 2nd lap that I needed a 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 gear. That would have been perfect gearing for me on that bike at that track. It would have been worth the effort to change sprockets if I had had one with me.

Ben.

jpaulsen

Actually a change of 1 in the front is closer to 3 in the rear:

Per Vortex-
15T front 42T rear=2.8 gear ratio
14T front 42T rear=3.0 gear ratio
15T front 45T rear=3.0 gear ratio

...and the short answer is it really depends on your bike and your riding style/ability. Best thing is to find out what others run on a bike such as yours and get their feedback. That way you can get some direction prior to making a purchase.

snikwad

Top, I'm running -1/+2 and I've done JC and VIR south so far. Maybe I'm just a damn noob, but it pulled on JC fine, I still had plenty top end for VIR south. I can't imagine a much tighter track than JC, I barely used 4th there, but all 6 at vir.

I think a 15/43 on our bikes is perfect, and I know you're making more power than I am too.

ta2kutz

i find that the tracks are what make the need for a gear change but it isnt just shorter track need taller gearing. its what gear will allow you to be faster. currently i was running a 16-45 set on my zx7r. at pocono i was starting to hit the rev limiter in the kink sections.(i wasnt all the way through before the rev limit was holding the bike back) last time out i went up a few teth in the rear.... it was all wrong. now i HAD to shift up before those kinks and then back down after.
so i just picked up a smaller rear sprocket to a 43. what this will hopefully do is let me retain that original gear and get that little more rpm out so i dont have to change up and down the gear.....shifting wastes time.
the gears you pick all depend on the corners and the speed you are carring into and out of them and where you have to shift. it isnt always just going to taller gearing for a short track. its more about the track and the bike combined

toptaz1000rr

snikwad;14682 wrote: Top, I'm running -1/+2 and I've done JC and VIR south so far. Maybe I'm just a damn noob, but it pulled on JC fine, I still had plenty top end for VIR south. I can't imagine a much tighter track than JC, I barely used 4th there, but all 6 at vir.

I think a 15/43 on our bikes is perfect, and I know you're making more power than I am too.
thank you pal... i am actually up 2 in the back ..
i never go down 1 in the front .. (old school thinking ) cuts the turning radius shorter and more stress on input shaft of trans..

but yea i think for most tracks i am ok for now... til i get faster and better :)

snikwad

old school thinking doesnt always match new school technology.
things advance, sh1t gets better. hell the zx10s make way more power than us, and they make 14t sprockets for those sumbishes.

go on and get you a 15t up front, you'll love it