Sprocket questions

dsmitty37

Looking to replace my stock chain and sprockets with a 520 conversion on my 2008 GSX-R 600. I ride mostly on the street but do about 4-5 track day weekends a year. I know I want to go with steel sprockets for longevity. My questions are:

1) Who are some reputable manufacturers?

2) Is it ok to do trackdays on a 520 chain or should I stick with the 530?

3) Is -1 front and a +2 back ideal for track or should i buy a few different rear sprockets?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
On my '07 gix I'm -1 front, +2 rear, or 15/45. I'm happy with it. Prior to that I was using just -1 front, and that was good as well.
The 520 chain is perfect for the track, your stock is probably a 525. I'm using the RK gxw chain and Driven sprockets, with a rivet masterlink. Don't use a clip masterlink. Other good chains are DID. Other good sprockets are AFAM and Vortex. Pitbull makes sprockets now, too, that are probably excellent quality. They (forget what brand, Driven, I think) also make lightweight steel ones (on motomummy's site) that will give the benefit of being lighter, but last longer as they are steel.

I get my chain and sprockets from motomummy.com - he's got great prices on chain/sprocket kits. He also lists the tensile strengths of the various chains on his site.

kurveygirl sells chains and sprockets, too.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
HondaGalToo;253796 wrote: On my '07 gix I'm -1 front, +2 rear, or 15/45. I'm happy with it. Prior to that I was using just -1 front, and that was good as well.
The 520 chain is perfect for the track, your stock is probably a 525. I'm using the RK gxw chain and Driven sprockets, with a rivet masterlink. Don't use a clip masterlink. Other good chains are DID. Other good sprockets are AFAM and Vortex. Pitbull makes sprockets now, too, that are probably excellent quality. They (forget what brand, Driven, I think) also make lightweight steel ones (on motomummy's site) that will give the benefit of being lighter, but last longer as they are steel.

I get my chain and sprockets from motomummy.com - he's got great prices on chain/sprocket kits. He also lists the tensile strengths of the various chains on his site.

kurveygirl sells chains and sprockets, too.
:agree:

I run the -1 front +2 Rear with the RK gxw chain and vortex sprockets. the gearing works great at almost any track.

Meat

As mentioned above -1/+2 will work for most tracks. There are only a handful of tracks in the country where you will run out of RPM's with that gearing. Road Atlanta, in the Southeast is one of them.