Stan Braxton: 1960- 2011

Hotbrakes

My heart aches hearing this. I camped next to Stan at what I think was his first ever trackday at Road A in May 2009. He was riding an HP2 at the time and I remember this big old guy complaining about dragging the heads on his brand new Beemer. We had a good time that weekend. Saw him a time or two more at other events and he seemed to be picking up this new but late found sport quite well.

Godspeed brother.

dbarufaldi

What a heartbreaker...thought he was going to pull through. Will keep Stan's family in our thoughts - sounds like he was a hell of a guy/husband/father/brother/friend. Sad, sad day.

corymac

I love you Stan! The time I was with you here was great, but the time I have with you next will be out of this world. I hope I'll get to see you there. I'm so sad right now, but I know when I see you next I'll just talk about the time at CMP with you. I seat here and cry while I type this, but I'm so happy I have got to meet you. I LOVE YOU MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to have some of my prime rib next time I see you. OK!

JRA

As a Control Rider I rode with Stan a lot on his first weekend with NESBA at Road Atlanta in May of 2009. There was another rider too that made us a group of three for almost the whole day.

It's funny because I can't remember who that other rider was, but I sure remember Stan. He was glued to my tail so close most of the time that it made me border line nervous.:D It was like every time I turned around here was this big ole dude, on a big ole BMW with these cylinder heads sticking way out, and he was pushing me to go faster and faster.

I'd go a little faster and then he'd make some crazy mistake and we'd come in and talk (keep in mind that this is his first weekend on a race track). I'd say "Man, if you want to go fast we really need to slow down a little and let's work on the basic things that are going to make you a better rider". "But with you on my tail like that I'm afraid to slow down because you're going to run me over".:D

Thinking back on that now I'm pretty sure he didn't hear a word I said to him. He had this huge smile on his face and I think he was so into the whole experience that almost nothing I said would have gotten through.

At the end of that Sunday I bumped him up to Intermediate group.

A couple of months later we were at VIR and I was working registration. Stan always called me Mr. Allen. He said "Mr. Allen, I have something for you", and handed me what looked like a rolled up poster. We were really busy signing people in at that point so I didn't have a chance to look at it until later. It was a poster that he had made with multiple pictures of us riding together at Road Atlanta. An ariel picture of Road Atlanta was central to the poster, and it had all of these different shots pasted in around it. Most of those photos had both of us in them.

I was touched that he had made one for me, but honestly I didn't quite know what to do with it. For two and a half years that poster has been rolled up sitting on top of the freezer in my garage where I have my shop set up.

Even though I didn't know it at the time, that poster now means more to me than any material bike related possession I own. It puts things in perspective...the things that are replaceable and the things that aren't.

Stan, I know now what I'm going to do with that poster. I'm going to frame it and hang it up in my shop right next to the Road Atlanta license tag that I have hanging on the wall where I'll see it every day.

On Sunday morning November 13th, 2011 at Barber I had gone up to take a shower. This was before 5:00 AM, and as I walked in Stan was in there brushing his teeth. I'm sure Stan was probably an early riser anyway, but I like to think that he was up and just raring to get the day started. In fact I'm sure that was it. When he finished he walked past and said "Good morning Mr. Allen".

It's funny how I forget some things that are critically important to my life, and other things that seem insignificant at the time are etched in my mind as if with a laser.

I'm pretty sure Stan affected other people like that too. He was a laser, and once you met him you would never forget him. I know I never will.

From John and Lesley, our prayers are with Coke, Eric, and Savannah during this difficult time.

We'll all miss you Stan.

You might be gone from this world, but I will never forget you.

Perlzuki

So sad to hear about Stan's passing! He fought very hard & now is at peace.
Stan's huge smile & outgoing personality was what I remember the most about him. He probably had as much fun at the track as anyone there! First met him at CMP on that beautiful Beemer. I told him that it was too pretty to scratch & he just SMILED:D. Later that year at VIR in Oct, we rode a few sessions & I was impressed. We pulled in & talked. I asked him if he thought he could handle the Bump to A. You should have seen the look on his face. He told me that getting to A was his goal & that he might just cry! I said that would get him bumped back to B if he did & we just laughed. Getting to hand Stan the A sticker was the most fun I ever had CR'ing as it really represented a lot to him. We talked about how to approach the rest of the afternoon & how to take it easy with the fast guys. We talked after his 1rst A session & he could not get that grin off his face. He promptly went out on cold tires & wadded up his Beemer going into 3 on his out lap. I heard about this & went over to his pit. There he was with that same old grin on his face?? He said it was worth it as this was one of the best days he has had at the track! He loved it when I would call him a young fella. He was my friend I will always remember him with that BIG OLE SMILE on his face!
My sincere condolences go out to Stan's family as he will be missed by many!

Mark
SE CR #249 ( retired )

Hotbrakes

Well said John and Mark, well said. Stan will surely live on as an icon amongst the Nesba family, he shared with others a joy for life and motorcycling that we would be lucky to have half of.

maxpr1

I never met Stan but this is indeed sad news. Rest in peace Stan, We are all praying for your family and friends....

elephino

This is terribly sad. I was really hoping for a different outcome.

While I didn't know him well, I pitted in his vicinity a few times and he was definitely exactly as you've all described. You can't meet the man without remembering him.