Starting new to track days.

ksmit03

So I am looking to get started with track days but I can't decide where I should start when it comes to a bike, mostly on size. I've been riding for 12 years, but mostly on Harley's, and I haven't ridden a sport bike in 10 years, my first being a GSX-R 600.

My dilemma being is should I start out on something like a Kawasaki 300 which would be something good to learn on or should I just start out with a 600cc bike. Also I follow bikes on the forums and wonder should I find a bike in town and start from scratch and set the bike up as I go to what I like or would finding a track day bike already set up be the better way to go?

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I will leave the "size" or "type" of bike recommendation to those here with way more experience watching new guys start and then progress.

However, IMHO, finding a well sorted out used bike owned by somebody here or on a similar forum is to me, the best option. You get a bike that has been usually gone through, often from somebody known by other folks, and usually at a lower cost. You don't need the fastest bike out there - you need a well performing "good" suitable bike with some key things done to it. If it's been down, cosmetically beat up a bit, does not matter. At least that's my perspective. Finding a bike locally and then building it would be my last choice all things being considered.

Again, however, though I've been riding for decades, there are other guys here like some of the Directors who should really weigh in. Lots of good experience here.

borislav

Control Rider
My friend this is an ARCHIVED forum from previous organization and I think people don't pay to much attention to it unless they are looking for some good old info which is plentiful here!
Now with that out of the way I would suggest you post this question in paddock forum or track day forum.
You'll like it here, A LOT OF GOOD PEOPLE!!!