Steering Dampers Required?

Mike

I just want to double check on this subject. I made it to one track day last season on an 08 gsxr 1000. It was rainy and my first time so I decided against going on the track at VIR that day.

Anyways, I now have an 09 r6. I read the rules, did a search here, and didn't see where it was officially stated it's required. I just want to double check if anyone else on here knew if it is required or not. If it is, I wanted to go ahead and have that done so I don't show up on a track day and not be able to ride.

Getting a damper is def on the list but if it's not required, may not be on the bike just yet.

JRA

Dampers are a very good idea, especially on an R6. We don't mandate them, and if this is your first track day you will probably be fine without one. The thing is you never know what small incident could turn into a big one. Dampers are like an additional piece of safety equipment. The turn scary machine movements and oscillations into mundane, don't give it another thought occurrences. We aren't riding on the street and we aren't riding at street speeds. A big tank slapper can be a very big deal and send you out of control.

Mike

Thanks for the info. I've been reading a lot on them and it's a smart decision to get one for sure. Just slightly out of the free spending money zone at the moment. I swear, I can't like anything cheap. Except pool, I love playing pool.

DUG

Def get one. Without one, the only way to really get out of a TS, is to hammer the gas... And that is not always an option, nor your general reflex.

Look at FleaBay, C-List, Wera Classifieds, the usual... they can generally be had on the cheap. "Beg, Borrow, Steal..."