Stomp Grip Question

blueninja1

Hi All,

I have stomp grips installed on my bike and was curious about something. Will the stomp grips be weakened at all after numerous washing/cleaning over time? Is there any technique that you use to make sure that water does not have a chance to get between the tank and the stomp grip or am i worrying too much?

Thanks,

Brendon

If installed correctly you should have no issues. Mine has started to come off from hard breaking and my leg digging in but that was fixed.

BZ

bluers

I agree with Bubba- You should be just fine if you did the prep work installing them. I wash mine all the time and have no issues. And coming back from RA after the fundraiser the rain was so bad you couldn't see 10' in front of you. If they didn't come loose after that, they should be good.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Bubba what did you do to reinstall?? I've got a pretty good patch pulling off. I'm thinking of using clear silicone to reapply.

Slinky001

Mine came right off after 3 years and I reapplied after paint with no issue whatsoever. No adhesive required.

Brian

blueninja1

Cool. Very good info. Bubba, I'm also interested in knowing how you went about reinstalling the grips after they loosened up. How many trackdays were you able to get out of them before they started coming off? I get mixed feedback from people about longevity.

I have had two separate problems with the grips. The first was on the VFR on the left side and it started to peel up and I could never get it to stick again so I talked with some in the pits during a track day and I was informed that once that happens the piece is done, just put on a new one. So that’s what I did and problem solved.

Kruzin, silicone does not have the sticking power to hold the grip and that crap is really hard to get off if you ever go to put a new grip on.

On the TZ the problem was on the left side again but the grip was separating from the adhesive piece that sticks to the tank. The black grip part is glued to a clear piece that has the adhesive on the one side to stick to the tank. It separated about a half inch and was going to keep separating if I didn’t do something. I re-attached the black grip to the clear piece with superglue and it hasn’t separated since.
I made damn sure all the superglue was wiped off the tank and the top of the grip.

So if the grip is separating from the tank you will have to put on a new piece. I buy the blank sheets and cut my own grips. It was a few dollars less and myself and others seem to have good luck with that method. Also, make damn sure the tank is clean were the grips go down. I cleaned mine with some soap and water first, dried it then wiped it down with rubbing alcohol a few times then took a micro fiber cloth and windex wiped the tank off again. Squeaky clean and the grips hang on!

Also, remember, it helps if the tank is warm so I put them on in the sun and let the grips get warm and the tank get warm. Let it the bike sit in the sun for a bit then put it away and didnt use the grips for 24 hours. I want to say that is part of the directions if memory serves.

BZ

thouchin

I reused a set of stomp grips by pulling all of the sticky stuff off and then using contact cement (the kind you use to install formica countertops) to reinstall them. They lasted all year and not even a small corner pulled away.

T.J.

betarace

matt2212;286871 wrote: What kind of u haul should I rent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
I really don't know, me and my dad usually just ride to the track the morning of the event on our bikes, but I would recommend one with a deck made of mild steel so you can drill it.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Ok so uhaul conversation aside. Still confused about that.

I tried some spray adhesive to reattach the stomp grip, might try the contact adhesive next if this doesn't hold. Still cheaper than new stomp grip, as I have both adhesives already.

betarace

Kruizen;286874 wrote: Ok so uhaul conversation aside. Still confused about that.

I tried some spray adhesive to reattach the stomp grip, might try the contact adhesive next if this doesn't hold. Still cheaper than new stomp grip, as I have both adhesives already.
You got a variable speed power drill that Matt and I could borrow?

betarace

blueninja1;286764 wrote: Cool. Very good info. Bubba, I'm also interested in knowing how you went about reinstalling the grips after they loosened up. How many trackdays were you able to get out of them before they started coming off? I get mixed feedback from people about longevity.
Mine have been on my bike for 2 years (about 20 track days). I think the secret to their longevity is clutchless up shifts

matt2212

betarace;286876 wrote: Mine have been on my bike for 2 years (about 20 track days). I think the secret to their longevity is clutchless up shifts
They will round off your gears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

trekuhl

Control Rider
never had luck reattaching using 3M spray.

next time I'm getting surf board material.

seacrest out