Street bike to track bike conversion?

Vitamin_J

I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseam so please feel free to point me to thread which spotlights my inability to search well. I tried, found only bits and pieces.

Is there a primer for converting a street bike to a track weapon? I am pretty much done with street riding and have a new GSXR 600 which I am ready to move to the dark side. I plan to have Joe's Garage do the work as I'm a miserable wrench, however for the sake of planning a budget... Save for the obvious of body work and tires, I'm guessing I will need get.

Rear set
Short levers
Full exhaust system
Brake lines

The bike is pretty fantastic off the showroom floor. Anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

HighWay

I would do the suspension, throw on some race bodywork and spend the cash saved on track days.

Thats my .02

avizpls

#11-A
I have to agree that suspension comes on as #1. Then track bodywork. then the brake lines, rearsets etc as you find you need them. Maybe you wont have an issue with your stock rearsets.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Brakes First- pads, lines, and fluid! then suspension, i would leave body work last

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I'd say the first thing you should worry about is tires, and learn how to change them yourself.
Seeing as it's a 2008, the stock suspension should do fine for you into 'I' group.
Take off all the street bits, put on a set of Armour Bodies.
Wire up the oil drain plug, fill plug, and filter.

Everything else just comes down to personal preference and how much money you want to spend.
Brake lines, rearsets, and exhaust is the route I would go as well.

(edit: sorry just reread and saw the part about tires and bodywork :doh:)

rk97

the million dollar question: "how much can you afford to do right now?"

the main advantages to building your own track bike (as opposed to buying someone else's already set up) is that you can pay as you go. the draw back is you're going to pay more in the long run. but your search probably told you that already!

the nicest thing is that you know 100% of the bike's history, etc.

IF it were me, with a 2008 bike, and you've already got tires and plastic:

- brake pads
- brake lines
- fork springs & thicker fork oil (sonics are cheap and good. racetechs are less cheap)
- rearsets (i know a LOT of people who wish they had vortex when they need parts at NESBA events, but i do love the woodcraft designs)
- clip-ons
- rear shock (start looking for used right away. $1200 shocks go for $400-$700 on part-outs)
- fork internals

I would HIGHLY advise against installing a new shock before new fork springs. firming up the rear of the bike while the front is still squishy and pogo-prone can be scary!

unless you get a great deal on an exhaust, I honestly believe that's where people waste the most money. at the very least, it's where people spend $ out of order. probably the least NECESSARY upgrade to go faster...

plus you probably don't care what it looks like for a track bike, so find some street forum where someone else has crashed their expensive exhaust, and trade them your stocker + cash so their bike is shiny and new again.

jas0336

just my opinion but I wouldn't do anything to the bike yet. Most new bikes are great out of the box. If everything on your new bike is in good shape, you should be fine for a while. As you start spending your salary, inheritance and pints of blood on this addiction, you will know what works and what doesnt and it will be obvious what to change. For me, I wanted the option of selling my bike later as a street bike, so I bought race plastic and stored the OEM stuff. Exhaust is really nice but not a must have. Rear sets are a preference thing unless you are dragging but I doubt any of the new sport bikes will drag unless your body position is off.
Other than slip-ons my bike is stock. I would spend money on good leathers, helmet, back and chest protector. I would also go ahead and safety wire your bike. It costs next to nothing and EVERYONE appreciates it. Then I would get protection for the bike, like case covers. Once you speed up and use up all the adjustability in your stock suspension, then upgrade...it's expensive. After suspension, do the performance stuff and anything that makes the bike easier to ride or you just prefer to do.
You will notice the fastest guys out there are not always on built GIXXER 1000s. I've seen some of the fastest times from guys buzzing around on 2 stroke 250s and motards.
HAVE FUN and welcome!!

rk97

^ the case covers etc. are a great suggestion that I hadn't even considered.

protect that '08 now so it's still worth putting $$$ into later! prevention is always cheaper than repair.

Vitamin_J

super suggestions folks. Thanks for the input. I have all the personal stuff (leathers, helmets, etc) and currently have a NESBA member's former track bike. So this is no hurry. I will play small ball and do this over time as I don't need to get it on the track just yet.

Question on the stock plastics, just tape up the lights, hang numbers and go?

jas0336

I would take off license plate, blinkers and kickstand if you have spools and a stand. Other than that, yes, just tape anything that resembles a lense i.e. head and tail lights and blinkers. You probably want to remove the fuse as well so the tape doesnt melt to the light:)
then put a number across the front that's big enough to read from the side of the track and get ready to smile a lot.

stephenjpauls

Let me start by saying I'm no expert, but I have read many posts and talked to a number of people about this... I think much of this has already been said, but....

I think the most important thing to do is get some brake lines... and throw on some new pads while you’re at it.

If it were me I wouldn't ride with the street plastics unless they have already been down. Take it off and save it, or sell it. Street plastics go for a premium and it’s a good way to make some cash to pay for the other upgrades.

As others have pointed out, the exhaust is one of the last things to look at.

avizpls

#11-A
hmm.. good points.

Brakes First- pads, lines, and fluid!....maintenance, but should be done before the suspension.
Tires..again, so obvious I didnt think of it.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I agree that a stock bike is more than adequate, but where's the fun in that?

I put on Woodcraft rearsets that use the stock levers because the floppy footpegs were annoying the crap outta me.

Definitely don't skimp on the safety gear. You get what you pay for.

jas0336

ninjamansc;59471 wrote: I agree that a stock bike is more than adequate, but where's the fun in that?

I put on Woodcraft rearsets that use the stock levers because the floppy footpegs were annoying the crap outta me.

Definitely don't skimp on the safety gear. You get what you pay for.
dont get me wrong...all the "extras" make this sport even more fun (if that's possible). I just wrote a list of things I really "need" and it came out close to $9,000.00!! OK...by "need" I really mean "would make my bike that much more sexy".

I just hate to see someone new get a nice shiney full pipe and then lowside and trash it. I'm not saying you won't lowside later on but chances of wrecking SEEM to be greater when you are in B and when you first get into I groups. The parts are cool and definitely make the track more fun but don't help you get faster really. I ride an R1 and get blitzed by CRs on 600s all the time. I'm pretty sure its not because they have a faster bike. I just suck