Street vs. Track

Rogue.

sooperman12;22385 wrote: :wow:

Track only. I have no input, I just wanted to post in your thread.
On a side note... Glad you came out to Beave soop! That is all

*Now back to the scheduled program*

moto-ufo

I didn't really mind the traffic or other drivers so much but my two main reasons are below.

1) I live in N. VA where 80+ mph gets you a reckless driving ticket. I know, you can do 80 in a rental car (I did, got nailed with "reckless", hired a lawyer and got it reduced for $$) but in a car you have some time to contemplate it before you get to 100, 110, 130, whatever. I don't need the temptation on the street.

2) Sweltering D.C.-area heat in the summer when sitting in traffic - which is usually often.

beac83

Riding is the way I stay sane. I don't know if I could wait for trackdays to ride. Luckily my insurance is about $400-600/yr per bike for full coverage, but I'm 53 and live in Chicago. Yes, the streets are dangerous, and around here I often have to exercise my escape paths to avoid accidents, but the joy of riding is worth it to me, especially after I escape the city/burbs and get on some more rural roads around here.

Due to job, family and home duties, I don't get to ride as much as I would like, but the thought of not having a street bike in the garage - even if it was only the Gold Wing - makes me shudder. I don't ride aggressively on the street (OK, way more aggressive on the sportbike than on the GW, but still not very aggressive - but choose my locations to minimize exposure), so I don't have any recent tickets (

riddler

State Farm is a great insurer of bikes. They don't discriminate against sportbikes, at least where I live (Northern IL). The rates are based on cc's not type of bike. I pay about $450 for full coverage.

Can you pick up a less sporty machine for the street and cut the insurance costs and leave the sportbike un-insured and track only?

I would think you pick up something for the street and drop your insurance premiums so much it might pay for itself in 2 years or less. This way you can ride between trackdays, but stop the madness on your premiums.

I am actually considering this myself, sorta. I did a lot of damage to my track bike - 98 R1 at Putnam this weekend (pictured before crash in my avatar). I am looking at my options, like moving my suspension parts to my 05 R1 and buying something less aggressive for the street.

Rogue.

I guess I do need to do a bit more research on the insurance. I've called around, and gotten about the same quotes. I have 0 points, perfect credit, good student discount, taken the MSF course, but I still get nailed over technicality. Such is life.

Macon663

Last year when i was 24 I paid 400 bucks a year for full coverage on my 600rr. Statefarm. I got no idea why you're getting so royally screwed like that.

To answer the question, I gave up street entirely cause it was a pain in the ass to go back and forth to track plastics and I didn't want to ruin the street stuff. And then I got race tires and didn't want to waste them on the street. Pretty soon the bike just wasn't streetable. I only miss it on the 75 degree days and nights.

jennthebiker

you need a supermoto for the street -- although it wont help you with your night-time blasts unless you think 80mph is blasting!

Rogue.

jennthebiker;22428 wrote: you need a supermoto for the street -- although it wont help you with your night-time blasts unless you think 80mph is blasting!
we'll see what I come up with this winter

Revvin' Evan

For me, continuing to ride on the street is a financial gain. I do not carry collision because my rates would be much like yours(22/m/0 points). For liability and comprehensive(which includes theft) I pay $420/year w/ progressive.

Now this is a financial gain for the following reasons:

My truck is diesel(expensive fuel) and gets 15mpg vs. 40mpg on my 07 600RR. I commute 30 miles a day for work. Every single day rain or shine, have not commuted in a car or truck since late march and plan to keep this up for about one more month. I run my shagged dot race tires on the street so I'm not paying anymore for tires then I already am. My truck has 6 tires which gets very expensive to replace. Switching from good track tires to shagged ones for street use is free because I do it by hand, the old fashioned way(yes my wheels are scratched to hell).

10 gallons of diesel fuel vs. 3.75 gallons of gasoline per week.:notsure:

The switching from track to street issue. . . .

The bike has track bodywork on it(no longer own the stock stuff) so I purchased a pair of Advance Auto Parts ghetto looking driving lights mounted them up on the front while the stock tail light and tag bracket still mounts to the rear by plugging in some electrical connectors and 4 10mm bolts. Switching takes less then ten minutes. For signaling I use hand signals.(Maryland law does not require a motorcycle to have turn signals)

Finally, I love to ride and get the release others talk about. So there you have it.

mike574

I gave up riding the street 4-5 years ago, and really did not miss it like I thought I would. This year though I bough a cheap bike to comute on and maybe take it out for rides on the weekends when I was bored. After the first week of riding I realised why I did not miss riding on the streets, It's dangrous. Pot holes, deries on the road SUV driving cell phone talking idiots/guard rails lining the road. I had the bike almost all summer and road it once for enjoyment. I will keep the bike for when gas prices go back up next summer but don't miss the street riding at all. 6 years ago I never though I say it but I rather just drive my car.

HKB3

Next season I`ll probably ride 95% track until I can find some $$$$ for a Motard and I will probably only the motard to & from work

Steve

Hmm, I have a SV650 standard I use mostly for commuting. I think I might have ridden it 4-6 times this year other than droning back and forth to work, but even those rides weren't really "spirited", so you could say I quit "riding" on the street. FWIW, I guess in this instance it pays to be old(er), I pay

kevin

I have a Ninja 250r 2008 that I just purchased couple months ago, insurance is cheaper and gas milege is average 55 mpg, maintaining this bike is cheaper also. Extremely fun to ride, I had just a track bike and got tired of seeing my bike sit in the garage. I started riding on street again, I like a variety of riding, slow, fast, country, race track, dirt, city. Track days slowed me down on the street and has made me more relaxed,etc.

Can't understand why your insurance is so high, state farm has the best rates usually. I commute on my bike to work, everybody else is cussing each other out and i'm smiling and having fun! I do about 15 track days a year, your going to hate me but my full coverege is 15 dollars a month but I insure three vehicles with state farm. Be patient and keep checking around or check to see how much cheaper 250cc bike would be for insurance.

Good Luck!

PARedVFRRider

I think at that price I would be looking for something less than full coverage. Paying 4k is over half the price of a used GSXR750 isn't it? that is if the GSXR in your sig is your street bike. I think I'd change my coverage to the minimum you need to cover you if you hit someone and they sued you but I woudln't cover the bke. If you have health coverage through work that would cover you as well, I'd drop health coverage on the cycle policy. That hopefully would get it reasonable so that you can ride.

PARedVFRRider

HighWay;22352 wrote: I pay no where near as much as you for insurance, but if so I would still ride on the street. There is something that riding gives me that I don't understand and I can't explain to people. I rode home in the rain a few weeks back and as I was standing in the garage soaked, the girl friend asked why I was smiling so big. I didn't have an answer for her, just that I like riding. Trackdays, mountain runs or riding to work I just love being on two wheels. :D
This is the reason I do ride on the street. I'm like HighWay, I love being on two wheels. Another pass time of mine is mountain biking, in some ways almost as dangerous, since I'm a pretty agressive rider and hit trails with lots of rocks, downhills, drop offs and such. The thrill is just the same though.

My difference is when I road ride I typically attempt to stay on the secondary and less used roads. I avoid big intersections, interstates, 4 lane secondary roads and such. I'll go 10 miles out of my way to work to avoid the crazies in cages. The only drawback for me with commuting to work, which I do about 3 times a week all year long (yes I have heated gear), is that I need to plan for that extra 15 to 20 minutes it takes me to get to work and home each day. Sometimes its longer coming home since I take detours to make the ride longer.

But it is a great stress relief for me so I keep riding on the street as long as I can do it.

Twiztedjester55

Why not do liabilty only? Progressive wanted almost $6k a year full coverage with a $1k deductable, I pay $240 a year for liabilty only and i have a pretty crappy driving record. I figured if i went a year and a half without totalling my bike or having it stolen i would come out ahead.