Stripped fork pinch bolt...

devildogae

Ruhe52;300655 wrote: For the love of Christ is this thing fixed or what? Suspense is killing me!!!!!!!!!!
I really wish I could say yes. Been at it for a couple hours today. So here goes:

Went out and bought some top of the line extractors, blow-torch and epoxy weld.
IMAG0384.jpg
IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

I took some WD-40 as cutting oil and tried to cut a hole for the extractor. Couldn't get past the broken easy out. This is what it looks like.

IMAG0373.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

As you can see I took a dremel and cut away around the bolt head, trying to grip it with vice grips to no avail. I took the blow torch and heated it up real nice, tried to cut a hole. I used the flame on the bolt while I was using the extractor cutting tool. It's just not getting anywhere. I decided that maybe welding an alen head in there might work. So I mixed it up and put it on thick. This is where I am, going to let it set for a couple days and maybe can break the freaking bolt loose like this. I'm starting to get angry with this thing.

IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0375.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Ruhe52;300677 wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-12-Kawasaki-Ninja-ZX6R-Right-front-fork-slightly-bent-Good-Used-OEM-/231092696666?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ce32b65a&vxp=mtr

Purchase. Hack that thing the rest of the way to bits and get axel out. Then replace the lower with the one from above.

If that bolt is cross threaded or welded in there that good replacement probably needed anyway. Might as well refresh your forks while you have them apart.
Best idea yet! :rtfm:

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Or you could just sneak a cutoff wheel in the pinch gap. The part where bolt head is not threaded so it would just basically fall out. Thus leaving the threaded portion to deal with.

devildogae

ninjamansc;300689 wrote: Or you could just sneak a cutoff wheel in the pinch gap. The part where bolt head is not threaded so it would just basically fall out. Thus leaving the threaded portion to deal with.
If weld doesn't work, this is my next step

TurboBlew

wow... Im going to bet you didnt get the ezout size right the first time.

Lil trick showed to me by a machinist... you get a tiny drill bit on a dremel or similar rotary device. then you drill around the broken ez out as the metal is going to be softer. It requires a steady hand as any lateral load will break the drill bit.

Also on a side not you can use a dremel cutting wheel to sever that bolt pretty easy. I was thinking it was the interior one that broke.

devildogae

**UPDATE** **FIXED**

The epoxy weld was crap, didn't even come close to working. So like I said my next step was to use the dremel and cut where the pinch bolts pinch the axel. It did minimal damage to the bottom of the fork and the bolt head came right out. Next I took my special power removal tool and cut a tiny hole into the threaded bolt left. Then when the hole was large enough I slid the coupler down and slowly ran my power drill. Note both the cutter and retractor are ran counter-clockwise. Well it took that bolt tight out. The cutter pushed the broken bit out the back as well. So this worked and my fork is saved. Thanks guys for your help, awesome bunch of guys!! Some pics of the end of project:

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0387.jpg

IMAG0388.jpg

IMAG0389.jpg

Ruhe52

So again if you want to replace the garffed up lower my rec would still work they are not one piece they do come apart.

Mike Ruhe
SE CR 52
2006 Yamaha R6
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2010 BMW S1000rr
2011 Suzuki GSXR 750

Support our Servicemen and Women
www.swettwarriors.org

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson

devildogae

Ruhe52;300715 wrote: So again if you want to replace the garffed up lower my rec would still work they are not one piece they do come apart.

Mike Ruhe
SE CR 52
2006 Yamaha R6
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2010 BMW S1000rr
2011 Suzuki GSXR 750

Support our Servicemen and Women
www.swettwarriors.org

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
Thanks, good info

devildogae

Love my torque wrench, what I've discovered is that when you take it to a shop! you don't know how well the tech has been trained or done his job. Scary to think about with a motorcycle.