STT to ride Monticello on 7/3/09

opinion914

jfmgsxr750;64665 wrote: and hopefully Monticello if it works out.
Where in OCNY are you? I'm in Middletown and have signed up for 7/3. I've ridden w/ NESBA, TPM and am looking forward to trying STT and Monticello on the 3rd for sure.

Kevin

jfmgsxr750

OC in the house

opinion914;64689 wrote: Where in OCNY are you? I'm in Middletown and have signed up for 7/3. I've ridden w/ NESBA, TPM and am looking forward to trying STT and Monticello on the 3rd for sure.

Kevin
I am in New Windsor, I have ridden with TPM, NESBA & Absolute. This sunday I am riding with NYSBC at thunder. And STT at Monticello 7/3. I will be riding with the I group at Monticello. I will be on a blue & white 01 gixxer with the number 75 on it. Maybe I have seen you at a TPM or NESBA track day. I know you are looking forward to this track it is only 1/2 hr from Middletown!!!!:cool:

Pascal

sternsi;64124 wrote: There are a few orgs that will not run the air fence at Summit. A few almost ruined it for us that are willing to pay for it. It cost a decent amount of money to rent, I guess some would rather not spend that on a members safety, and take the chance. We had a member s few years ago that hit the air fence in 4 and walked away with a broken finger I believe. Next day he donated $1000 to the airfence fund.

I cannot imagine riding Summit without it. I can see it happening though if people are not willing to help Andy set it up at future events.:(
My wife watched that incident - it's been said before - but please go help set up the fence at summit whenever possible. If you can make a donation - do it - if the tax benefit makes the decision, be it so - it is deductible.

We are out here for our enjoyment, the more preventative measures taken the better!

On the topic of Monticello - I'll stay away till some real changes are made...

Kwick

Control Rider
I was intending to give Monticello a shot with STT. The track is maybe 1hr 10mins from and and that along with the low price really had me considering it, but i did want to confirm exactly what had been done prior to forking over the cash anyway. Being the proactive person that i am, i took it upon myself to call the track to request a visit. to my surprise the event organizer at the track actually called me back the next day :) i really thought I would have to be a pest to get a response. now he is not the CEO of the track or anything, but he expressed a sincere interest in continuing to work with trackday orgs to make the track safer for motorcycles. I think this is a good sign.

Unfortunately, Moticello for July 3rd is already sold out so i will not be riding the track. However, I am off from work and I will be making a trip down to the track to see things first hand anyway. I have only ridden with nesba and i am very happy with the org. it is promising that even if the changes they have made don't currently meet up with what nesba expects for safety it might soon.

sternsi

Control Rider
From what I have seen and heard, all they have done is stacked some tires up along the guard rail in the " areas of interest " to prevent a body from going under the guard rail. I have not heard of them moving the guard rail that is 10 feet off the track back at all. I wont turn a wheel there until some real changes are made to the track.

mattf

Monti isn't too far from me, so I was thinking of taking a ride by on the 3rd and checking it out. I trust in NESBA's decision tho, so even tho Monti is only just "around the corner" from me, I passed on the 3rd.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
mattf;64950 wrote: Monti isn't too far from me, so I was thinking of taking a ride by on the 3rd and checking it out. I trust in NESBA's decision tho, so even tho Monti is only just "around the corner" from me, I passed on the 3rd.
From what I've been reading on other forums, they aren't going to let spectators in unless they are in the vehicle with someone who's riding. Something to do with a small paddock area and that it is still an exclusive club, I think.

mattf

HondaGalToo;64961 wrote: From what I've been reading on other forums, they aren't going to let spectators in unless they are in the vehicle with someone who's riding. Something to do with a small paddock area and that it is still an exclusive club, I think.
Huh.....good to know, thanks!

Dave_636

I plan on giving the track a try with STT as well. I've heard all the stories and if the track is unsafe I will pack it in and wait until more improvements are made. I plan on taking some onboard video as well while I'm out there.

I figure for $125 it's worth a visit and if I leave early I won't feel bad about it.

jfmgsxr750

I have a friend coming up from BK with a 675 to ride that day too. It seems most of the orgs have not planned many days or no days at Pocono this season. It will be nice to have other tracks close by other than NJMP and Pocono to ride on. Of course we want the track to be safe. I hope it works out so we will have a choice of tracks.:congrats:

Bossgobbler

Has anyone else noticed that there is more talk about the STT Monticello date on the NESBA forum than on the STT forum? :dunno:

GoodKnight

HondaGalToo;64961 wrote: From what I've been reading on other forums, they aren't going to let spectators in unless they are in the vehicle with someone who's riding. Something to do with a small paddock area and that it is still an exclusive club, I think.
Wow. I was thinking about riding to there to check it out. Oh well.

Dave_636

Disclaimer: This was my first time running with STT and I am not an STT member. I was running in the advanced group.

Anyways, I didn't feel safe enough to go 100% at the track. The safety measures were tires stacked in front of the armco in certan places and some corners were designated no passing zones. I ran off the course in one turn and made it out to the armco pretty quickly and that was after I scrubbed off a lot of speed.

Track was fairly bumpy in a few corners, especially turns 1 and 2. I literally had to stand up on the pegs in order to not get tossed. One seam in the pavement was so bad that the first time I ran over it I literally thought the guy I had passed had run into the back of me.

Track was very technical, the straight was a half mile long if that. The left hand turn running up the hill was pretty awesome and there were a lot of elevation changes but the track didn't really have any flow and it was hard to get in a rhythm. I thought it was just me at first but a few other people I talked to said the thing.

Long story short I am glad I went to check it out but I don't really think I would head back. Usually run off areas don't worry me but all you see around the entire track is armco and tires. Funny thing though, the tires walls were made from brand new tires. I guess the track went out and bought tons of tires to make the new tire walls.

It was pretty cool to see all the exotic cars parked in the lot and riding around the North course though. Met some new people, no rain and enjoyed myself for the most part so all in all it was a successful day.

Kwick

Control Rider
Monticello update! (south Track)
Overall there is no place to rest on that track. it is very tight and you
are always on one side of the tire or another. the speeds are not that high,
but there are 2 fairly high speed (80-90mph) sweepers - 1 left hand and 1
right hand. The fast left then right turn at the end of the main (and
short) straight is a little rough. other than that, the track has a decent
flow which i wasn't able to get into until the last session of the day (before that i kept getting my marks wrong). there is one corner which sneaks up on you. if you look at the track map it is the turn that looks like a 90 degree right hander. the track is
run clockwise.

Safety ... there are a few corner where things seem a little close. they
have tire barriers up in a number of areas. from what they were saying ..
they wanted to see how an event would be run in order to determine whether
or not they would be willing to spend the money required to make future
improvements. basically if they deemed the motorcycle clubs to be a
problem, i.e.. loud, disrespectful, wrecked the grounds, they would not
bother to spend the extra cash. Before I get bashed on the head by making the comment about spending cash relative to safety ... understand that i do not think that it is ok to disregard safety because it will cost the track too much money. i do not think that, but it is a catch 22 situation and i can understand them wanting to at least have a group run there before making total commitment to moving things around. The STT event organizers were doing a good job schmoozing with Monticello officials so it might work out ok.

As for the grounds .. as you might expect, this is probably the nicest looking race
track you will ever see. the landscaping was perfect and the cars
were ... well .. exotic. there are also member only areas. the paddock for
the south track is very small. the north track has a much bigger area.
events at the south track are likely to have very little space available in
groups due to the small size of the paddock area. this is probably for the
best anyway since there are very few passing opportunities on this track.

long write up, I know.