STT to ride Monticello on 7/3/09

Dave_636

Heh I agree with the comments on the picture. I don't think I will be going back to the South course until they smooth out the bumps between T1 and T2 and either figure out a way to push the armco back, add airfence or both. Hopefully the Friday trackday will provide the track with the information they need to make the necessary safety requirements.

If the North course is ever available I would run it as well to form my own opinion.

jfmgsxr750

Monti

I didn't have any issues with the barriers nor did I find the track unsafe. Yes that one section was a little bumpy but other than that the track was very smoothe. It is a very technical track, which I love. If you like high speeds this is not the track for you. If you love tight turns and elevation changes you will like this track. I loved that uphill left sweeper and that uphill then down hill blind right sweeper which leads to the short straight. The paddock area is small and this is one track you cannot over sell. Too many riders on this track will make a miserable day. After the 3rd session I was getting comfortable. I thought the track flowed fine. I would ride there again in a minute. I would like to try the north course, I hear it has less turns and longer straights.

Oh I will say the bathroom although very nice was way to small. They have to do something about that.

Oh this was a first, there was a turtle on the track for about 2 laps, WTF!!!:eek: I thought something fell off some one's bike until I got closer and saw it moving.

And the fact that is was an hour from my house made it a joy going and coming home!!!:adore::adore::adore:

opinion914

I enjoyed it quite a bit. There may be safety concerns and the bathrooms aren't large enough but i came home w/ a smile on my face.

lbsaxman

Control Rider
i thought the track was ok , seemed short like VIR S ... I think the track would be safer ran counter clockwise rather then clockwise it would not require any changes and would make that long right handed turn onto the straight not point you toward the armco .. all in all there are parts of Barber that have rails pretty close to the track and no one complains there .... I cant see paying as much money as the clubs will probably be asking to ride there but then again im from the south where great tracks are plentifull !!!

jfmgsxr750

News flash

This just in: TPM will be running Monti in aug and the rest of the year. And over 20 dates next season!!!:congrats: I just did summit point Shenandoah over the weekend and Monti is 10x safer than Shenandoah. Again I pretty much only joined NESBA cause they were the only ones who had Monti on their schedule. Now why did they put it on there without checking the place out before hand, GOOD QUESTION!!! So see ya NESBA until you start running Monti!!!:D

TPM will be running all three tracks, the north & south and full track.

sternsi

Control Rider
NESBA will go to Monti when they actually fix the track and not band aid it with " no passing " zones. I would never step foot on Shenandoah with a motorcycle. If you notice, no one else does but TPM. I have to question why they are all so fast to jump at this track when the track wanted to make changes, and no one really got what was asked for. Now, no one has any real leverage to get the items that need " fixed / moved" since some are willing to ride the track.:cool:

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Team Pro-motion: Safety first after profit.

Sadly, TPM's thirst for the almighty dollar is going to ruin it for everyone there. It's just really too bad that they gave the big finger to all the other orgs that actually care about safety.
For this reason, I will NEVER EVER EVER ride with another group. NESBA lifer and proud of it.

end rant.

jfmgsxr750

Join the band wagon

I am not defending TPM, I actually rode Monti south with STT and loved the course and did NOT think it was unsafe. I didn't go by what others said. I saw for myself. I have ridden with 5 different orgs this year including NESBA and I have formed my own opinion based on my experiences. I have had negative experiences with TPM and NESBA which I wont get into now. But now that TPM and STT are on board with Monti, I am sure most of the other orgs will follow suit. :popcorn:..........to be continued

sternsi

Control Rider
Like I said, NESBA will not ride there until they actually make that track safe, plain and simple......

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
sternsi;69387 wrote: Like I said, NESBA will not ride there until they actually make that track safe, plain and simple......
:congrats: Problem now, is that they aren't going to be motivated to make further changes. Why should they when two orgs are now going to run there. And how is TPM going to run the full course, if that's the two courses connected? I thought they always had to have one course available for the members?

Kwick

Control Rider
I just checked TPM's Site and did not see any Monticello dates in their schedule. Are you sure you have been properly informed? In any case, I also don't see how they would ever be allowed to run the full course as that would exclude members from access. I also don't see any weekend dates ever occuring.

It is detrimental to all clubs for one of them to disregard safety and just start posting alot of dates. While I did not personally have any problems running the south course I did notice some areas that were a little close. Someone made the comment that the course might be safer to run it counterclockwise, but I do not necessarily agree with that as it would have you heading into a very tight left hand turn very hot coming back on to the main straight .. and there is not much run-off in that direction if i remember correctly.

On another note .. If TPM does start to runn all of those dates and they behave poorly, they may just get themselves banned in which case the club might be more willing to work to make improvements to get other clubs in. :

rk97

HondaGalToo;69425 wrote: :congrats: Problem now, is that they aren't going to be motivated to make further changes. Why should they when two orgs are now going to run there?
my thoughts exactly.

but such is life.

reminds me of the 20/20 on 'greed.' they put 5 people at a table and had a moderator drop twenty, $1 bills into a bowl every 60 seconds. As soon as anyone took a bill, the experiment was over and they stopped adding cash.

point being, if everyone had restrained themselves for 5 minutes, they could each get $20, or if they'd waited longer, even more. Without failure, the second the first bills dropped, everyone was tearing at the singles like wild animals...

I guess we're lucky TPM and STT even waited for the second wad of bills to drop ...sort of.

jfmgsxr750

The 411

Kwick;69485 wrote: I just checked TPM's Site and did not see any Monticello dates in their schedule. Are you sure you have been properly informed? In any case, I also don't see how they would ever be allowed to run the full course as that would exclude members from access. I also don't see any weekend dates ever occuring.

It is detrimental to all clubs for one of them to disregard safety and just start posting alot of dates. While I did not personally have any problems running the south course I did notice some areas that were a little close. Someone made the comment that the course might be safer to run it counterclockwise, but I do not necessarily agree with that as it would have you heading into a very tight left hand turn very hot coming back on to the main straight .. and there is not much run-off in that direction if i remember correctly.

On another note .. If TPM does start to runn all of those dates and they behave poorly, they may just get themselves banned in which case the club might be more willing to work to make improvements to get other clubs in. :
Glen Golman made this announcement this weekend at Summit point Shenny. He said it both sat & sun. I have been checking the schedule as well, LOL, and it is not up yet. He did say aug 17th & 18th. So maybe most of the dates will be during the week. With TPM planning on doing over 20 dates next season don't you think Monti will bend over backwards to accomodate Glen's wishes? I would like to see the track made more bike freindly. No one wants to see a fellow rider hurt on the track. I see STT hasn't changed their schedule either to reflect the dates they added. You better believe I will be booking dates as soon as they are up!!!;)

jfmgsxr750

The 411

This just in TPM has 2 live dates in aug at Monti, the 17th (south) and the 18th (north). I just booked the north course date since I already did the south. And STT will have sept and oct dates as well. ;) I am looking forward to trying the north course. I loved the south. I will let you guys know how it is!!!

Hardcharger

jfmgsxr750;72852 wrote: This just in TPM has 2 live dates in aug at Monti, the 17th (south) and the 18th (north). I just booked the north course date since I already did the south. And STT will have sept and oct dates as well. ;) I am looking forward to trying the north course. I loved the south. I will let you guys know how it is!!!

I just booked Monday the 17th, thanks for the feedback on the south:cool:

Morph

Control Rider
jfmgsxr750;69506 wrote: Glen Golman made this announcement this weekend at Summit point Shenny. He said it both sat & sun. I have been checking the schedule as well, LOL, and it is not up yet. He did say aug 17th & 18th. So maybe most of the dates will be during the week. With TPM planning on doing over 20 dates next season don't you think Monti will bend over backwards to accomodate Glen's wishes? I would like to see the track made more bike freindly. No one wants to see a fellow rider hurt on the track. I see STT hasn't changed their schedule either to reflect the dates they added. You better believe I will be booking dates as soon as they are up!!!;)

Your Village called

I think what is amazing about this thread is what appears to be the ‘faith’ placed into STT and TPM with their decisions to ride Monti and the assumption that this track is safe for us track day riders?

Based upon what? Because these orgs just decided it is so?

If one of the three dominant track day organizations decides against running a track for safety concerns, people really need to ask themselves why. Of course it boils down to risk and how much you are willing to accept. Someone could post up that railing with knees down on Tail of the Dragon is safe. It is, until you go down. A poorly designed track that motorcycles will run on is no different. All it takes it that one time for everything to come together just right, rider(s) get buried into a wall, then the message boards will be lit up with “Why do they run that course” “Those walls were always too close” “Tires are not replacement for Airfence” the list of complaints will go on and the riders who once supported it will of course be the authors of the threads (outside of the "I told you so" folks).

I am NOT bashing STT or TPM, I’m just stating sometimes you have weigh the fun factor vs. the risk factor. As a wise old CR once said to me regarding unwarranted risk: “I’ve got a family and a job waiting for me Monday morning”.

BZ

jfmgsxr750

Choices

I rode the south course and did not find it unsafe nor did I feel unsafe rding it. I didn't go by what others have said. Many of you are basing your opinions without even seeing the track in person. No one wants to crash or crash and find out how safe a track is. I have ridden with 5 different orgs this season. I will ride with whoever has the dates and places I like. TPM and Absolute have the most dates in my area. WE all have the choice who we want to ride with and where. I am just happy we have more choices in the tri- state area. Before last year we just had pocono!!!

GoodKnight

jfmgsxr750;73025 wrote: I rode the south course and did not find it unsafe nor did I feel unsafe rding it. I didn't go by what others have said. Many of you are basing your opinions without even seeing the track in person. No one wants to crash or crash and find out how safe a track is. I have ridden with 5 different orgs this season. I will ride with whoever has the dates and places I like. TPM and Absolute have the most dates in my area. WE all have the choice who we want to ride with and where. I am just happy we have more choices in the tri- state area. Before last year we just had pocono!!!
Just curious, but what nesba group do you ride in?