STT to ride Monticello on 7/3/09

sternsi

Control Rider
I don't get how people find a track safe when you have to put cones out in a turn and make it a no passing zone. This is a race track, not some back road in the canyons. I get it, you guys are all the fastest on the back canyon roads. If you can go there fast, then you can ride on a track that is dangerous. :banghead:

jfmgsxr750

Full course

OOPPPSS more of this just in:STT is working on running the full 4.1 mile 22 turn course in oct!!

Mark is right, many of us orange county riders, have ridden 9w (bear mountain area), 218 along the hudson, the hawk's nest area rt 97 etc. We are used to concrete barriers inches from the road. Zero run-off and 60 to 200 feet drops. For many of us this was/is a typical sunday morning run!!! So when we come across a track some consider dangerous, we don't feel or see the danger.

Maybe some of the other orgs who only book in the tri state area will jump on the Monti bandwagon.:popcorn:

vanbreezy

Any Org that feels shenandoah is safe for motorcycles has no credibility to deem a track safe IMO. It is a choice i hope doesn't bite you, and i'm sure alot of you canyon cats see riders getting hurt or worse.

GoodKnight

FYI, just recently one of the tpm coaches broke both of his ankles at shenandoah when a blue group rider got off pace, on the race line, in a turn, to pit out, and the coach lowsided feet first into a wall.

jfmgsxr750

GoodKnight;73430 wrote: FYI, just recently one of the tpm coaches broke both of his ankles at shenandoah when a blue group rider got off pace, on the race line, in a turn, to pit out, and the coach lowsided feet first into a wall.
I know I was there, I wish Omar a speedy recovery. You would figure someone in the blue group would know how to pit out. :dunno: It was near the end of the day too. Terrible accident. Crashing sucks period.

rk97

jfmgsxr750;73408 wrote: OOPPPSS more of this just in:STT is working on running the full 4.1 mile 22 turn course in oct!!
I'll be curious to see if that happens. I thought the "private club" was required to have at least part of the track open for members at all times. if i was a member, I have to say that would irritate me quite a bit... what's the point of being a member, if you can get the full course through STT and TPM? hasn't TPM shared days with cars and karts in the past?

jfmgsxr750;73408 wrote:
many of us orange county riders, have ridden 9w (bear mountain area), 218 along the hudson, the hawk's nest area rt 97 etc. We are used to concrete barriers inches from the road. Zero run-off and 60 to 200 feet drops. For many of us this was/is a typical sunday morning run!!!
when was the last time someone charged you $150+ for a "Sunday morning run?" Does being used to unsafe conditions make them any safer?

I think we all hope the track is safe, and there are no incidents - i just foresee enthusiasm getting the best of caution.

rk97

for the TPM riders/drivers, nothing. for the members of the expensive CAR club who is supposed to have exclusive rights to that track, a lot.

Morph

Control Rider
divein295;73477 wrote: Yes they have. 1 car group 1 Bike group. Tons of track time. Dont know whats bad about that
So they put all skill levels in the same group? hmmmm that's not change you can believe in.

divein295

Morph;73498 wrote: So they put all skill levels in the same group? hmmmm that's not change you can believe in.
Humphh… isn't it just exhausting keeping the hate up? You dont know how its set up.

mattf

In a way, I'm glad that there are some safety concerns....because when NESBA gives the "All Clear" I'm going to be farking broke.

Morph

Control Rider
divein295;73512 wrote: Humphh… isn't it just exhausting keeping the hate up? You dont know how its set up.

Hate...I'm a paying member of TPM. But unless they allow only one skill level at a time for any given session. How could it be safe? It can't..... period. But hey who cares about saftey when you can fill a date with cars guys. Not a sermon, just a thought.

GoodKnight

divein295;73512 wrote: Humphh… isn't it just exhausting keeping the hate up? You dont know how its set up.
tpm is already really sketchy about their groups as-is, then you combine them and you now have a group where the skillset can be so mixed.

i have a friend who is in blue, and he went to one of the combo days, and he came up to a rider who had no business being in red, let alone in a group with blue riders. the red rider altered his line last second going into a turn, and his entry speed was so much slower than my buddy that my buddy almost rear-ended him. luckily, he was anticipating it, but he came off and said he's never running a mixed group again.

isnt the whole point of having groups so that you can seperate people into groups of comparable skills/speeds?

jfmgsxr750

I have done a few dates when they were running cars but the groups were not mixed. But I do see a few dates on TPM's schedule where the groups are mixed. I have signed up for one of those mixed dates and will see how it goes. It can be very frustrating for the faster riders in blue to mix with others in the red group. I will try it, if I don't like it I wont do another one of the mixed days.

jfmgsxr750

Some on here feel cause NESBA deems a track unsafe how dare any other org ride there. Sorry but it don't work like that. It's called choice. Who do you think Monti will listen too, a org that may book 6 days or one who will book over 20 dates. Many of the smaller orgs have more dates at NJMP than NESBA. I look at all the orgs schedules and decide what dates I wanna do that will work for me.

Morph

Control Rider
jfmgsxr750;73683 wrote: I have done a few dates when they were running cars but the groups were not mixed. But I do see a few dates on TPM's schedule where the groups are mixed. I have signed up for one of those mixed dates and will see how it goes. It can be very dangerous for the faster riders in blue to mix with others in the red group. I will try it, if I don't like it I wont do another one of the mixed days.

Fixxed it for you

vanbreezy

I find it funny that people think IF you spend money at a track. The track will be more willing to fix it or make it safer. I already have your business without fixing anything, Boycott by the leading trackday orgs would have been more effective. Even more so in a fucked up economy. The economy is the only reason this track considered opening it's doors. :dunno::dunno: