Stuck GSXR Caliper Pins

ckw373

Hey Everybody -

I just recently went through the pain and agony of trying to remove a stuck and rounded out caliper pin from my 2006 GSXR 600 :banghead::banghead::banghead:. I had never removed them since purchasing the bike. I ended up getting it out with an EZ out and a 1/2-inch breaker bar. That stupid thing was in there good.

So my question is that if I am going to continue to use these pins, what is the recommended procedure for installing them so I don't run into this again? I don't want to get to the track and have this happen. Are people greasing the threads with something like a high-temp caliper grease? Or anti-sieze?

My second question relates to finding replacement pins altogether, especially since the factory ones are like $17 a piece!!!! I found a thread that pointed me to a website called Pro-Bolt, but I have never bought anything internationally and don't know if I am comfortable with that. Or maybe it is just lack of knowledge about buying internationally that is rising false concerns....:dunno: Does anybody locally carry something of a replacement like the Pro-Bolt ones?

Thanks,

-Chris

ride_hard

Yeah. What Rob said. Finger tight, and you can drill them and safety wire for peace of mind that they won't fall out.

Chad Dupree

I know you said you didn't want to buy stock ones, but if you buy the 2003/2004 600/750 year type, they come with a hole on the end. you can then safety wire it or use R clips. I use the R clips on mine.

I got mine from www.ronayers.com

FlyingMonkey

If you are talking about the pad retainer pins I use anti-seize & snug them a little more than hand tight (guesstimate torque). They seem to stay tight but easy to remove. I also learned that allen sockets are a lot better than allen wrenches for this. I had to drill out my caliper mount bolts & that was a pain. I tried several screw extractors & actually burned up a nice craftsman drill in the process. I don't overdue the anti-seize & check them regularly.

Motofun352

Control Rider
afinepoint;209463 wrote: I torque mine to about 10 ftlbs which is by the manual . No more. I prefer to torque for consistency.
10 ft-lbs??? Seems an awful lot, sure it's not 10 inlbs? Also, I highly recommend lock wiring them. I've seen two cases where they came out and the unlucky rider lost his brakes when the pads got ejected.