Suggest a thin back protector

BadgerDog

Perhaps I'm not the first to encounter this:

My leathers are on the snug side, not uncomfortably so, but not much in the way of wiggle room. The back protector I bought, a Joe Rocket Speedmaster 2.0 Back Protector, is on the bulky side and makes the fit of the leathers go from snug to "oh hell no".

Can someone suggest a back protector that is on the thin side, but still offers some protection? FWIW, the leathers are an older set of Alpinestars one piece, and although there's an opening to slide a back protector in under the liner, there's a somewhat unique snap loop at the top that apparently requires just the right piece to use as all 3 of the snaps are the same gender, so it won't form a closed loop on it's own.

Appreciate any advice offered.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Check out Alpinestars Nucleon KR-1. They also make the Nucleon KR-R that snaps into a jacket, which might match up with your leathers. I got mine from Revzilla. The KR-1 is the stand alone protector. Revzilla could further guide you on one versus the other.
I have the KR-1 and it's slimmer than others.

BadgerDog

Thanks HondaGalToo, big help. Looks like the KR-R will snap into my leathers as well.

That's one step closer to ready.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
You can also try the ForceField protectors. They're pretty thin, well rated, and have snaps at the top that work with many of the relatively current generation Alpinestars.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I don't know much about getting suits altered but is that an option for you? It might give you enough room that you could have any back protector you want and still be comfortable.

BadgerDog

Thanks wmhjr, I'll check those out as well.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike, that may be the long term solution, or lose a few lbs, but we don't need to go there. ;) Right now I'm hoping to find a solution I can have in place for Track Day Nomero Uno on 6/3.

SinisterBabo

Bumblebee
When I was on the snug side in my Vanson, I picked up a Tryonic back protector for protection, how thin it was, and articulation. At $99 current street price, it's not a lot to lose if you need a thin protector short-term.

BadgerDog

Thanks much SinisterB. I went ahead and ordered a Nucleon KR-1 earlier today thinking that if it doesn't work out, I have time to get something in next week. I'll keep the Tryonic as well as the ForceFields in mind.

SinisterBabo

Bumblebee
If you're near the DC area, I have the Knox Aegis, Tryonic See+, and the Alpinestars Bionic back protectors you can try in case the Nucleon doesn't fit.

BadgerDog

Thanks for the recommendation Motofun352, will check those out.

Thanks for the offer SinisterB, I'll certainly keep it in mind. I'll likely not get my hands on the Nucleon till Sunday, after that I'll just have to make do to get through the following Saturday with what I have. Then I'll either be fine, be looking for another back protector, looking for other leathers, or unhappy with my ride and looking to sell my stuff, but that hardly ever happens, right?

Do you do any of the track days at Summit Point? I have a couple marked on my calendar in the event I have a really great time and want to hit a different track.

SinisterBabo

Bumblebee
I'm planning on at least one or two days at Summit, but currently have all of the PittRace and NJMP weekends on my calendar. LMK if you end up going to any of those (next one is PittRace mid-June) and how next weekend goes!

BadgerDog

Don't think I'll be making it to PittRace or NJMP as they are a bit far for me for a day trip, which is all I can manage at this point in time. Summit Point however is about 3 hrs from me. Eyeing the 7/9 date on the Shenandoah Circuit if all goes well for me next weekend. I think my current choice of bike (DR650 quasi-moto) may be better suited to that track with lots of turns. How fast folks are likely to blow by me on the straights at NC Bike is a bit of a concern. Afraid my GSXR days are long gone, bought an '89 new in, well, '89.

2blueyam

There is only one real straight at NCBike. Maybe two if you count the short run between turns 1 and 2. The layout is very flat and open. It should be easy to see a slower bike ahead. You will get blown by on the front straight, but it is really wide, so that shouldn't be an issue. I don't think you will be any slower than a 250 ninja down the front straight and they run there all the time.

There is only one real straight at NCBike. Maybe two if you count the short run between turns 1 and 2. The layout is very flat and open. It should be easy to see a slower bike ahead. You will get blown by on the front straight, but it is really wide, so that shouldn't be an issue. I don't think you will be any slower than a 250 ninja down the front straight and they run there all the time.

Agreed, shouldn't be an issue on the front straightaway. Just be predictable and the faster bikes will manage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Don't think I'll be making it to PittRace or NJMP as they are a bit far for me for a day trip, which is all I can manage at this point in time. Summit Point however is about 3 hrs from me. Eyeing the 7/9 date on the Shenandoah Circuit if all goes well for me next weekend. I think my current choice of bike (DR650 quasi-moto) may be better suited to that track with lots of turns. How fast folks are likely to blow by me on the straights at NC Bike is a bit of a concern. Afraid my GSXR days are long gone, bought an '89 new in, well, '89.

You'll be fine and maybe you could reconsider whether or not your gsxr days are over. I bought a 750F new in '79......

BadgerDog

You'll be fine and maybe you could reconsider whether or not your gsxr days are over. I bought a 750F new in '79......

no, No, NO, NO!!! Well, maybe. ;)

Thanks for all the info guys. One week from tomorrow, can't wait. I know this is old hat for you all, but this is a major event for me.