Suggestions for ramps/wheel chocks for full size pick up?

simpsonf

I would prefer to transport my bikes in my truck rather than buy a trailer. Does anyone have suggestions for ramps and wheel chocks. I've been getting away with using wood ramps and tie downs only, but I want something that's more secure, easier to use, and can allow loading and unloading by myself.

As wheel chocks go, I got a brief glimpse at what NESBA used to haul wrecked bikes and liked it, but didn't know what its called or where to get it from.

I'm also interested in a bed mounted chock from motorcycleramps.com that looks like it will work well, but they only show it being used with dirtbikes. Its a $199 for the two bike model.

BTW, my truck is a stock, 2WD Chevy CK 1500

Please let me know what you think.
Fred

simpsonf

That's a cool device! Thanks for posting it. I wonder if it will work in my pickup. I have have a six foot bed and the tire of my R-1 just fits inside, so I wonder if the hardware will... Never mind, I answered my own question. I could leave the tailgate down or turn the bars to gain enough room.

Please let me know how yours works out with installation and stability.
Thanks!
Fred

barry38

Baxley's are really good too. The pit bull may not work so well in a short bed truck. I do beleive you have the option to mount the base plate in front of the the rear wheel too, think thats how some are mounted in the NESBA/Yamaha hauler.

TN10R

Baxley, LA, Condor and others all make similar chocks that work well.

I have a set of oxlite ramps I use when hauling in the back of my truck. It comes in 3 sections that lock together. The center section is about 18" wide and could be used by itself. They are curved, and you can ride the bike up them if you want.

simpsonf

I like the Baxley the best so far. I'm one of the %$tards that has problems handling the rearstand and the bike at the same time when I'm fully geared, tired, and pitting by myself. Any suggestions on where to buy them cheaper than they have listed on their site. For instance, have you heard of Derek selling them?

BonesDT

I know you're probably looking for a professionally made chock, but I'd thought I'd show off my pimp setup. With straps on all four corners of the bike, I guarantee it is as ROCK solid as anything else.

But, yea, the only problem is the straps put the stress on the suspension. To do it right, get a chock that locks the front tire in and either that Pit Bull rear thing or http://www.motorcycletiedownpro.com/ for the rear.

Gaitherb

Baxley sport chock and Black Widow ramp. Ramp comes in three pieces, it has an arc in the center to compensate for the low height of a sport bike when loading -- the bike will not bottom out. But more importantly, the combined three pieces of the ramp are wide enough so that you can ride your bike into the back of your truck without help....into the Baxley sport chock -- it's a nice set up.

Ron
Black 06 CBR 1000rr
#288 I

JDog

Not having to mess & guess with straps... priceless. You get it right every time with a minimal amount of effort. I know after a long track/race weekend the last thing I want to do is fiddle-faddle with my rig. I just attach the trailing arms and roll the bikes into my trailer, flip over the latches, lock them in and off I go. Literally a 2 minute per bike process.

Straps rape my soft suspension.. .90/.85 up front.. SOFT. I was blowing seals left and right. Canyon Dancers are great in a pinch, but also rip my grips to shreds over time. Don't get me wrong... straps work but these strapless systems are SO MUCH BETTER and well worth the cost in my opinion. The nice thing about the Pit-Bull system is that the only thing unique to the bike (assuming you have a 'regular' swingarm) is the pins you insert into the axle holes. The trailing arms are all the same. Translation = really cheap to buy a set of pins ($80) for a new/another bike as opposed to buying a whole new system. Sweet.

---
:a: #313
'07 600RR -- Primer Power!!!

ZOOK131

If you go to www.harborfreight.com and type in "chock" in the search option there are 2 cheaper alternatives to the Baxley. The one chock for $79 is very similar to the Baxley in that you can install a quick disconnect system in your truck so that when you get to the track and unload the bike, you can also use the chock at the track...I do not know it the $49 chock allows for that option.

simpsonf

thanks to all that have posted. Your suggestions are EXACTLY what I was looking for. Please keep them coming.
Fred

justariot66

UM.... in my humble opinion you dont need a chock. Stick the tire in the groove in the bed and 4 tie downs later you are done. I have driven 1000s of miles to and from track days and never had a problem. Just snug the front and sinch down the rear and the bike will not move. As fpr ramps you cannot go wrong with the kind that turns into a bed extender. I saw it in the back of a dirt rider mag 5 years ago and ordered one from my local dealer and it is awesome. Iy keeps everything snug in the bed/gate area and then becomes a ramp when you get home or to the track. Over 200.00 its not cheap but it pulls double duty.

Dave Dimick
SE member
#66 2001 gsxr 750.

sportrider

simpsonf;13997 wrote: I'm one of the %$tards that has problems handling the rearstand and the bike at the same time when I'm fully geared, tired, and pitting by myself.

For that issue, pitbull forward handle rear stand. Like the Baxley, the forward handle rear works wonders, too. :first:

simpsonf

Thanks to all that posted on this thread. Lots of things have happened since my original post. First, I bought the Harbor Freight chock that appears to work like a Baxley. It was on sale for $59.00. I haven't assembled it yet, so I'll let you know how it works later.

Next, I have a friend whose father builds heavy duty utility trailers. He offered to build me one with a ramp and chocks for $900. Seemed to good to pass up, so I put my order in.

The next day, another friend of mine offered to give me back my 5x8 enclosed trailer that I gave to him for helping me build an addition on my house. He's getting a bigger one, and wanted me to have it back for my bikes.

Out of all the alternatives I'm looking at, the Harbor Freight chock is the only thing that has materialized as of now.

Again, thank you all for your advice.
Fred

simpsonf

The Harbor Freight chock works great! It was easy to assemble and set up and holds the bike great on the garage floor. I tried the same test as seen on the Baxley video and it worked fine.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Fred

DB_ZX10r

Ok, looking for clarity as I'm geting ready to purchase a chock of some-type asap. If I understand correctly for the Pit-bull restraint it is bolted to the trailer and you just push/ride your bike until it snaps the rear axle into place. Also with this there is no strapping the front end so just the weight is holding it down. Correct?

Then there is the Baxley which just sits in the trailer, not bolted down, and you push/ride the front tire into it until it locks. Then you strap the bike as normal. Correct?

The main benefit for the Pit-bull is no strapping required and for the Baxley it can be used anywhere (trailer, track, garage) correct?

Thanks!!

JRA

DB_ZX10r;30773 wrote: Ok, looking for clarity as I'm geting ready to purchase a chock of some-type asap. If I understand correctly for the Pit-bull restraint it is bolted to the trailer and you just push/ride your bike until it snaps the rear axle into place. Also with this there is no strapping the front end so just the weight is holding it down. Correct?

Then there is the Baxley which just sits in the trailer, not bolted down, and you push/ride the front tire into it until it locks. Then you strap the bike as normal. Correct?

The main benefit for the Pit-bull is no strapping required and for the Baxley it can be used anywhere (trailer, track, garage) correct?

Thanks!!
I have both a Baxley and the new Pit Bull system. If you get the Baxley trailer chock you might also want to get the optional bolt down accessories. It consists of a couple of small, flat steel plates that you bolt to to your trailer floor. They have a threaded hole in the middle which you bolt the Baxley chock to with two medium sized allen head screws. It only takes about a minute or so to bolt and unbolt the chock from your trailer floor but you have to use a allen wrench. Anyway, this will allow you to only strap the bike from the rear. You don't need to compress the suspension at all, just strap it tight enough so that the rear of the bike can't bounce side to side as you go over bumps in the road; you don't need to strap it from the front at all as long as the chock is bolted down. It can also be used unbolted with four straps (just like you would normally strap a bike) in the back of a pick up. The nice thing about this chock is that you push the bike into the stand and let go of it. The bike will stand on it's own while you strap it down, and once tied down it's much more secure transporting your bike than just using the ribs in the bed of the truck. Obviously you can also use it as a paddock stand one you get to the track too. I rarely use mine for anything but trailering since I'm using front and rear stands at the track but it's nice to have the option.

If all you want is a secure way to transport your bike in your trailer then the Pit Bull system is the way to go. It's 100% secure and easy to load. If you have two bikes with two Pit Bull restraints, you can transport the bikes handle bar to handle bar saving space in the trailer and giving you a lot more room because you don't have straps in your way, and you can position the bikes very close together. You do have to get the bikes lined up just right to load and secure them, but it's not difficult. I think Pit Bull has a video on their web site showing a bike being loaded into a trailer.

The Baxley might give you more options, but if you don't need all of those options I would definitely get the Pit Bull system. They are about the same price for either.

Ruhe52

Ditto Johns comments but if you go with a chock system check out KYA Racing Tyre Down with a chock it is a great way to go.