Suggestions on Decent Book on Suspension Theory, Use, Etc.

Laszlo

Howdy all!
Hope Fall is finding you well. I'm gearing up in some ways for winter, and one way is to start filling some gaps in my knowledge about some things. I did autocross for slightly over a decade w/ an old miata, so am SOMEWHAT familiar with suspensions, but on a bike not all carries over for a number of reasons. I see some books on this, including this one (https://www.amazon.com/Sportbike-Su...65-861a-63edda0fe7a1&pd_rd_i=1893618455&psc=1).

Anyone have any recommendations? I know of some on YouTube but I'm looking for a book or a few as a resource. Similar to my few favorite books on riding (the Upper Half of the Motorcycle by Spiegel, Keith Code's Books, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, The Best of Peter Egan).

As a bonus, what are your winter plans? I plan on continuing my own gymkhana drills in warehouse parking lots, and not buying more motorcycles.

Laz

bmart

Control Rider
More mountain riding once the leaves and leaf peepers are gone, some local riding, and off road riding. Always plenty to do!

I usually just let Thermosman refresh mine and send it back to me. He knows what I like and I usually make minor or no tweaks at all. If you have a relationship with one of the suspension vendors, I'm sure that they'll chat with you like Mike chats with me about any details I want to understand.

Guys who race make changes track to track, tire to tire, etc. It is worth picking their brains a bit. Hopefully some will chime in here.

Laszlo

More mountain riding once the leaves and leaf peepers are gone, some local riding, and off road riding. Always plenty to do!

I usually just let Thermosman refresh mine and send it back to me. He knows what I like and I usually make minor or no tweaks at all. If you have a relationship with one of the suspension vendors, I'm sure that they'll chat with you like Mike chats with me about any details I want to understand.

Guys who race make changes track to track, tire to tire, etc. It is worth picking their brains a bit. Hopefully some will chime in here.
Definitely also some mountain bike riding. Jonesing for a surron or something but still too expensive for my blood.

kbowker

I have Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible by Lee Parks and Paul Thede. I also have The Racing Motorcycle: A Technical Guide for Constructors, Volumes 1 and 3. I’m still on the lookout for an original hard copy of Volume 2 but I don’t want to pay crazy prices. I heard someone might have scanned it to PDF. Anyways, those books should give you plenty to think about.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Thanks for the book suggestions posted; Looks like some good reads for the winter.

As for winter plans: I unfortunately had an off a few weeks ago which injured my hand. Will heal up there, and get the bike back to 100%. If I'm really bored, maybe I'll make some videos of the inspection and rebuild process. Next year will be here before we know it. :)

Laszlo

Thanks for the book suggestions posted; Looks like some good reads for the winter.

As for winter plans: I unfortunately had an off a few weeks ago which injured my hand. Will heal up there, and get the bike back to 100%. If I'm really bored, maybe I'll make some videos of the inspection and rebuild process. Next year will be here before we know it. :)
Oh no! Hope you heal up and pt and recovery goes well. Look forward to seeing you next season.