(Suggestions) Yoyodyne slipper clutches in 07 gixer 1000.

jfloyd

I bought an 07 GSX-R 1000 race bike from a friend of mine. The bike has a Yoyodyne slipper clutch in it, only has 270 miles on it and was last ridden at VIR south course back in 2007 or 2008. He told me when I bought the bike the the cluthed was slipping a little when he started down the staight-away as he came out of the oak tree turn. If anyone has any knowledge of what I can do to correct this problem before I ride it, please let me know.

Thanks,

J Floyd

DFlowe

Jeff,
With the 07' & 08' GSXR 1000's having a hydraulic operated clutch, I assume you have plenty of free-play. If not, that's where I would start.

Otherwise, with that little mileage, it makes me wonder if it was installed correctly. You may need to get a set of installation instructions from Yoyodyne and check it out.

I have the manual that details the stock clutch...if that will help you any. I'll be happy to scan and email you those pages if you want them.

I had a Yoyodyne on my 05' 750 and loved it. It worked much better than the stock slipper clutch's I've had in my 06' 750 and my 07' 1000.

geekmug

270 miles of doing what? If he used the bike to do a lot race starts, then the clutch material could be worn down too much. How many miles was on the clutch plates before the Yoyo went in? Too many variables. I would take the cover off and measure the clutch stack height to make sure it is within spec:

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/motorcycle_slipper_clutch_operat.htm

If it isn't, then you can either buy a new set of friction plates (or an entire set of plates if the steel plates look worn somehow) or you can buy a shim kit from Yoyo to get the stack tall enough again. As DFlowe said, good time to check that everything else about the install was done right too.