Summit Jefferson 8/24-25 - First TD - Advice?

Ducati Pete

HondaGalToo;251687 wrote: The manufacturers mostly give hot pressures for race tires, I think, as warmers are used with them. The hot pressures are hot off the warmers, not necessarily hot off the track.

Starting with cold pressures, you'll want to see approximately a 10% growth. At least I think that's the current trend. It used to be 20%, or about a 6 psi increase, but I think nowadays you expect only a few psi increase. If hot pressures are given, then check them immediately when you come in, before removing helmet and gloves. Adjust from there.

If you get Pirellis, I have a chart. If you get Q2s, there's a ton of folks here using them who can give recommended track pressures.

And, no, starting out I really don't think you need warmers. You are correct about newer riders possibly not riding hard enough to get a race tire up to temp. As stated, get the Q2s, (or, since I'm a Pirelli fan, the Diablo Rosso Corsa) are awesome tires. Plenty of folks, myself included, have taken these hypersport street tires well up to an Upper I/Low A pace. They really are better than the race tires of 10 years ago, and they are designed to work well across a wider temperature range.

Get a hypersport street tire, set it to the recommended cold pressures. Keep it simple. Focus on the riding.

I'm pretty sure that blurb in the Riders' Manual about 30-35 psi isn't a mandatory figure. My guess is it's there so the new track riders don't show up with street pressures of over 40 psi. In general, for any of the hypersport street tires, 30/30 would be a good, safe starting point. Up to 35 would still be "safe". Over 40, it's not going to get hot enough. D-ZUM's recommendation to overinflate prior to tech isn't because they need to be 30-35 psi to pass tech, his recommendation is so that you just have to air them down a bit if you don't have a compressor or portable air tank. The recommendation to do it after tech is because it may warm up quite a bit between 7 and 9 am. I have an air tank, but I still overinflate a bit for transport. It's just easier to not drag the tank out!

Good info on the tire pressures. I have (will have) enough on my plate for the time being to worry too much about what tires to buy, etc... Will cross that line when I gt there... which will be soon.

I like the over-inflate idea and will do so. Plus I too have a small air tank. Will fill it before leaving the shop. Meanwhile, I'm simply trying to remember to bring my bike key!!! LOL Plus a pile of other crap I probably won't even use. Can never be over-prepared. haha

Pete

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Don't waste any money on GO FAST parts or warmers or anything like that. Use your money for track time. You'll never know what a $1500 shock or $1200 forks will do for you unless your riding the stock stuff to its full potential. I can ASSURE you that there are many folks that can kick my ass on a bone stock R6 fresh out the box. I have been fortunate in that all my track bike purchases have come with a few go fast parts already installed. I still have stock pegs, no quick shifter, and Stock chain/gearing. Warmers are only needed for race tires and Q2's will do you well for a long time. You'll probably replace them several times before really needing to upgrade.

Investments:
Track Time
Track Time
Track Time
EZ-up type shelter
Big cooler
Fan
Folding Chairs
Fuel Jug or 2

Everything else is secondary and just takes away from the first 3.

See You Saturday!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Judy's correct..I offerred the overinflation idea to allow you to not have to bring air. It's easier to subtract air than add it.

The Hypersport tires, like the Q2's are designed to heat up quickly, so warmers are not necessary.

Whatever tire you have, Colin (ShagMoto) should have information at the tire trailer at Summit about recommended hot/cold air pressures. If you need tires, buy from him at the track. Support the vendor that comes out to support you. Besides, he mounts/balances with the purchase price, and takes your old tires with him for disposal.

I rode the Perelli Diabo Corsa and the Corsa 3's from 2004 until the last day at Barber in Nov 2009..from B, to I , to A group. But, I'm also a creature of habit...I'm not one to deviate much. I'll eat the same thing every day for lunch for over 10 years. Picking a tire, sticking with it to eliminate the variables allows you to focus on your riding because the foundation under you is consistent. At least that's my theory.

Ducati Pete

Slitherin;251690 wrote:
Investments:
Track Time
Track Time
Track Time
EZ-up type shelter
Big cooler
Fan
Folding Chairs
Fuel Jug or 2

Everything else is secondary and just takes away from the first 3.

See You Saturday!

I'm with you on the seat time. Lots of bike goodies setting in my shop not being able to make track for lack of funds is............. well, worthless. I rode a LONG time in the dirt and all my bikes were fairly stock. I have always been of the opinion that very few people could ever outride their machine, even in stock form. The best investments, IMO, are seat time and knowing what to do with your wrenches. If the stock components are fully utilized, a person will have a lot of ride time before needing upgrades. Good tires, on the other hand, I feel, are a must.

See you soon........ I real excited about this.
Pete

Ducati Pete

D-Zum;251701 wrote: Judy's correct..I offerred the overinflation idea to allow you to not have to bring air. It's easier to subtract air than add it.
Hi Darrin,

I took what you said exactly for what you meant. Good thought too.

Pete

Ducati Pete

JerryC;251914 wrote: Pete, We'll be there with 2 Buells #13 and #313. Stop by and introduce yourself!

Thank you Jerry,

You should be found fairly easily............ in a sea of rice burners!!! I want to get a good look at your bikes. Will look you up.

See you there
Pete

Bunny7of9

ALL good advice!

Welcome!!!!

Jefferson is my favorite track- the pavement just tastes better there. ;)

Watch as many videos of bikes running Jefferson as you can. Although it is different when you are riding, it will give you a bit of familiarity.

Ride your ride and let other guys ride theirs. They will be faster. They can get around you and you ARE NOT holding them up.

Be as consistent as you can be. Surprises on the track are rarely good. Don't try to adjust what you are doing because you think it will help someone else- let them adjust to you. Only worry about what is in front of your handlebars.

Talk to everyone there....everyone loves being there and will be happy to share ideas, tips, and stories.

Drink lots of water starting NOW. Jefferson is notoriously hard on the muscles and you'll be sore.

Smooth smooth smooth smooth

Trust and listen to the CRs. Period.

HAVE FUN

Ducati Pete

Bunny7of9;251976 wrote: ALL good advice!

Welcome!!!!

Jefferson is my favorite track- the pavement just tastes better there. ;)

Watch as many videos of bikes running Jefferson as you can. Although it is different when you are riding, it will give you a bit of familiarity.

Ride your ride and let other guys ride theirs. They will be faster. They can get around you and you ARE NOT holding them up.

Be as consistent as you can be. Surprises on the track are rarely good. Don't try to adjust what you are doing because you think it will help someone else- let them adjust to you. Only worry about what is in front of your handlebars.

Talk to everyone there....everyone loves being there and will be happy to share ideas, tips, and stories.

Drink lots of water starting NOW. Jefferson is notoriously hard on the muscles and you'll be sore.

Smooth smooth smooth smooth

Trust and listen to the CRs. Period.

HAVE FUN

Thanks Jenifer,

I appreciate the input. Have been hydrating since yesterday but as much as I'm running around getting prepared, I keep using it up! LOL It's good to know Jefferson is a tough track to ride and will bring an extra dose of ibuprofen and maybe even a fist full of Motrin. I'm glad to be starting on Jefferson though. Small, technical and slower than average speeds. I personally feel this makes for a perfect first day recipe.

I have heard from many people saying exactly what you are........... ride your own ride and strive to be smoooooth. I feel I am getting a good grip on the ride your own ride thing. I was really worried about being in the way, etc.... It appears it's a poor concern. Smooth? Well, only time will tell if I can ever become smooth. Will do my best.

Hope to see you there.
Thanks again,
Pete

Bunny7of9

Riding your own ride is the hardest. You may find you are not nearly as fast as you thought.....don't worry about it :). Most of us went through that. Don't try to do it all in one shot, even when that adrenaline is whipping you to go GO GO....and it will!

You'll have the best time ever and that is all that matters.

I'll be there- I am not riding this weekend but coming up to see some friends. I need to wire up my hitch before I can bring the bike back. He is bored sitting in the garage.

I am the woman with the weird hair. Come say hi!

betarace

Because it hasn't been mentioned, if DZUM is there and you by chance encounter him, don't make eye contact or any sudden moves, it is taken by him as a sign of aggression/mating ritual.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
betarace;252106 wrote: Because it hasn't been mentioned, if DZUM is there and you by chance encounter him, don't make eye contact or any sudden moves, it is taken by him as a sign of aggression/mating ritual.
ROTFLMAO!!!!

Have fun, Pete!!

Ducati Pete

betarace;252106 wrote: Because it hasn't been mentioned, if DZUM is there and you by chance encounter him, don't make eye contact or any sudden moves, it is taken by him as a sign of aggression/mating ritual.

I shall cower appropriately to the almighty Track Warrior.

Thanks everyone for all for the advice. Heading out to the track within the hour. See you all there......... or at least the ones who are coming............... right HOndaGal?

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
You're out of control Steve :)....Pete don't listen to a word of BS this Joker says.

Ducati Pete

D-Zum;252331 wrote: You're out of control Steve :)....Pete don't listen to a word of BS this Joker says.
betarace;252327 wrote:
Waiting on debrief.

I was freaked out and on guard allllllll weekend in preparation for the all mighty track warrior to grab me up by the nap of the neck and throw me under a track drying machine. BUT, he never showed and I was spared.............. this time.

Thanks for the heads up Beta............

Ducati Pete

JerryC;252276 wrote: It was good meeting you, you really rode well!

Hello Jerry,

It was good meeting you too. Sorry we didn't get to talk more......... my head was swimming, per se. I remember you getting in front of me and LOVED the sound of the Buell. Made me think of my Duc.

See you again soon,
Pete

Ducati Pete

betarace;252327 wrote: Waiting on debrief.
Hi Steve,

Great weekend for sure, although the R Word came into play to a lesser degree. I arrived EARLY as I was guided to do and that was an excellent thing. It gave me a lot of time to meet people, ask questions, get prepared, etc...

Met Kubs first......... man runs a tight ship for sure. VERY good! Secondly met John "Slitheren" Ferrell who became my CR for the weekend. He had me park my bike next to his set up. Then I started running into folks from the forum and meeting others. EVERYONE was right. Nesbians are very helpful and willing to put up with a newbie's stupid questions, etc....... Tom from England gave me a great deal of good info plus let me park my bike under his canopy Saturday night.... I then didn't need to haul it back to the hotel. THANKS again Tom. Hugely appreciative!

MOST IMPORTANT............ the riding was a blast. AND... I SUCK!!! Some guy on a Super Motard with a Peewee Herman riding style smoked my ass............ But, with Slitheren's help, he had me on the lines quickly and by session 3 or 4..... TRIED to teach me to hang off the bike. Okay, I was hanging off the bike but of course doing it wrong. He then explained in great detail in the pits how to do this and the concept behind why.............. that is where I'm at now. Need to get my fat ass off the seat. Will continue to work on getting on my feet John. Thanks again for all the help.

I have a LONG way to go, a lot of dirt riding habits to drop or break but I got an immediate good start. KUDOS to the whole NESBA crew. All the CR's were friendly, helpful and obviously know their shit. The NESBA members are all cool folks, very willing to help and filled with knowledge. I met some great people, met no assholes and no arrogant pricks. Even the track marshal was a good guy.

Took the Body Position class put on by Kubs, Slitheren and Cinnamon (Emerson) and received a great deal of good info. Very good class for anyone.

VERY VERY Cool weekend.
Thanks again to all,
See you at Da Beave and will be back to Summit in few weeks............ TRACK CRACK!
Pete AKA: "That Chatty Guy from the Forum"

PS: Andrew, I'm glad my postings here were a bit of help. Wish you could have ridden more. Hope to see you again soon!