Summit Main 8-7, Evolve GT?

David#110

If I had more time I would have asked this privately, since I don't really know what the relationship is between N2 and Evolve. I saw the 8-7 event and was about to sign up for it and then realized it was with Evolve and not N2. The 15 day advance requirement is up tonight, so any input from anyone who has done both would be appreciated. My main question is if you get bumped or move up a class at Evolve would that move you at N2 also, or would you stay in your original group at N2 and have to start the next track day back in your original group? Although I am in Advanced my son just started and is in Novice, but is ready to move up.
I am a little nervous about trying another track day org that I know nothing about (I did quickly scan their site), but the next event at Summit Main for N2 isn't until late September.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
The partnership between N2 and Evolve allows you to seamlessly register for events being run by either organization. So, as an N2 member, you can register with your N2 membership and are not required to get an Evolve membership. If by chance you're an "Elite" member, then the Elite cancellation advantages apply even if it's an Evolve run event.

As far as the days themselves, while there are similarities, there are also differences - and the bump process and group assignment fall into the "differences" part. Evolve has a 4 tier setup (1 through 4) and N2 has 3. Plus, I'd say the "requirements" for a bump may not be identical. So, it's safe to say that for the most part, attending the Evolve event may not result in a change in your N2 level even if Evolve bumped your son. And if you're saying your son is in Novice now, it's about as certain as can be that even if he were bumped from E1 to E2 at Evolve, he'd stay in Novice at N2.

Another option if you're really thinking your son is ready for a bump to I, come to PittRace the following weekend. That being said, remember that no matter which you choose, obviously any bump is fundamentally based on what CRs see when somebody is on the track. It's about predictability, lines, body position, decision making, and last of all, pace.

David#110

Thanks, I greatly appreciate the quick reply, and answering my questions. Unfortunately my work schedule doesn't allow me much flexibility on the weekends, so this would be my next opportunity to get my son on the track after his first event on Main earlier this month. No worries about the bump, I was just curious how it worked between the two companies, not a problem if he has to do another novice with N2, if he's truly ready for "I" it shouldn't take him to many sessions to get the bump.
Thanks again,

Ron R

I've ridden with both and Evolve is a little different from N2 but not in a bad/good way. I've seen a few people get bumped up at Evolve from n to i then at they're next N2 track day they are back in n. But after a session or two they get bumped up. Can't say that always happens obviously. I would not miss an opportunity to ride with ether club. I'll be there Monday , hope I see you there.

David#110

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the info, I just wasn't sure how "intertwined" (or not) the two orgs were, it just caught me by surprise when I realized it wasn't an N2 date.

To be open, not that I would have any reason to hide it, I have been away for around 10 years but I CR'd for about 8 years, so trust me when I tell you I know all about how to get the bump or how to not get the bump, LOL.

My son made big strides at his first track day and my opinion (old CR reasoning, not the Dad, my sons the greatest reasoning) was that as long as he didn't do anything stupid, and got a little more consistent while not "following the leader" he would be ready for "I", and I just thought getting him back on the same track this quickly would help him feel more comfortable, then I realized it was a different org. After scanning their site I was then concerned that their "novice" group might be way too "novice", but I'm all about safety, so as long as my son has a fun day, I don't really care how fast or slow he goes, I just don't want him frustrated at this event or if he keeps making strides, frustrated if he has to go back through a couple more novice sessions next time with N2. It was also just a little confusing on Evolves site when it listed different rules for each group, but then the schedule kind of showed the top two groups are combined and then the bottom two are combined (maybe one is just the freebie), I wasn't sure how you run two at once but use different rules. But no worries, I'm sure they'll go over it.

Thanks again,