Summit Main

jls223

I'm trying to work out my dates for the year. Wondering whats been done to Main with the pavement since last year? Or what is planned? :notsure:

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I rode there with NESBA on Sept. 13th...the surface was the best I've ever seen it. Adding a couple of days there to my schedule this season.

jls223

I know they repaved the track in fall of 07 but then they had a nightmare with the patches falling apart most of last summer. I expected them to do something before the new season starts.

jls223

beechkingd;35616 wrote: I rode there on Oct 24th and it had started to fall apart again.
That's what I thought. I was signing up for 7/4 & 7/5 on Jeff and didn't know if I should do Main on the 6th. "Another" track org doesn't have any days at Main this year.

Katie785

its worth going, despite the pavement... a really good chance to work on your lines... I know Drew crashed last year because of it, but that was in a race where he was battling for first... he made the pass and went wide right onto the pavement. For a trackday, you don't have the pressure to win.... You shouldnt be running wide at a track day at all... You'll be fine!

jls223

Katie785;35619 wrote: its worth going, despite the pavement... a really good chance to work on your lines... I know Drew crashed last year because of it, but that was in a race where he was battling for first... he made the pass and went wide right onto the pavement. For a trackday, you don't have the pressure to win.... You shouldnt be running wide at a track day at all... You'll be fine!
I'll be fine as long as you're there to drag me around again. :eek:

Drew may have gone down that day but he sure made up for it in Septemeber! :first:

Bluenvy

Katie785;35619 wrote: its worth going, despite the pavement... a really good chance to work on your lines... I know Drew crashed last year because of it, but that was in a race where he was battling for first... he made the pass and went wide right onto the pavement. For a trackday, you don't have the pressure to win.... You shouldnt be running wide at a track day at all... You'll be fine!
:agree: i rode it back when it was real shitty before the repave and i still have a blast riding an A pace. just had to modify my lines a bit. like she said, its not a race so its fine

Katie785

jls223;35622 wrote: I'll be fine as long as you're there to drag me around again. :eek:

Drew may have gone down that day but he sure made up for it in Septemeber! :first:
Yep, I'm trying to make it to almost all the summit mains this year... I have alot more vacation to use up this year! It all depends on what happens with work/promotions/changing careers within the next 2 months! .. I'm signed up for NJMP in April.. you should come out!

jls223

Katie785;35684 wrote: Yep, I'm trying to make it to almost all the summit mains this year... I have alot more vacation to use up this year! It all depends on what happens with work/promotions/changing careers within the next 2 months! .. I'm signed up for NJMP in April.. you should come out!
I'll see what I can do in April. I do have NJMP on the schedule for September for a track day to coincide with the AMAs. Trying to doing the same with VIR in August too. Want to be at as many AMAs as I can since Kyle is now on the circuit.

Was thinking about doing Main in June and July. Maybe sneak in the "skill enhancement day" at VIR in May. Real close to CMP though.

Are you doing all of the 2009 Pirelli/WERA Sportsman Series Mid Atlantic this year?

3/20-22 Virginia International Raceway, Alton, VA-rs,
4/4-5 Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, WV-rs,
5/2-3 Nelson Ledges Road Course, Garrettsville, OH-rs,
6/6-7 Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, WV-rs,
7/18-19 Carolina Motorsports Park, Kershaw, SC-rs,
8/6-9 WERA Cycle Jam at VIR, Alton, VA-
9/5-6 BeaveRun Motorsports Park, Wampum, PA-rs,
9/26-27 Nelson Ledges Road Course, Garrettsville, OH-rs,
9/19-20 Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, WV-rs,

ridelater

do you really believe that? just like you said your not there to race anyone. your there for the track. So if the track is shit then why are you there. To work on lines how is one going to do that if there is only a 6in safe line around the track. no one does a td to win, but you do go to push youself, and to get better and i would like a buffer zone bigger then that when i make my mistakes. if the track is shit then you shouldn't run it and for the same reason its not a race. your there for speed & fun and if your not having it then why be there.

personally I would wait until people first hit it and then see what kind of condition it is in. then from that makes a informative decision

crewnutz

ridelater;35768 wrote: do you really believe that? just like you said your not there to race anyone. your there for the track. So if the track is shit then why are you there. To work on lines how is one going to do that if there is only a 6in safe line around the track. no one does a td to win, but you do go to push youself, and to get better and i would like a buffer zone bigger then that when i make my mistakes. if the track is shit then you shouldn't run it and for the same reason its not a race. your there for speed & fun and if your not having it then why be there.

personally I would wait until people first hit it and then see what kind of condition it is in. then from that makes a informative decision

whooaaa nelly

Katie785

i was there last year for every single phase of the pavement issue... I never had any issues.. Yeah, it was annoying trying to pass in a race in T5.. but at a track day I would just wait til T7
Yes I go to track days to push myself, but I'm saying that the issue comes when you NEED to pass that person in front of you asap. You DONT need to be doing that at a track day - > waiting the 1-2 turns to pass safely isn't going to kill you like it would in a race...

jls223

:D:D
ridelater;35768 wrote: do you really believe that? just like you said your not there to race anyone. your there for the track. So if the track is shit then why are you there. To work on lines how is one going to do that if there is only a 6in safe line around the track. no one does a td to win, but you do go to push youself, and to get better and i would like a buffer zone bigger then that when i make my mistakes. if the track is shit then you shouldn't run it and for the same reason its not a race. your there for speed & fun and if your not having it then why be there.

Well since I'm in Winchester everyday I guess I'll have to stop by and see for myself! :idea:

Either way, I'll sign up for a day or two. If it's too bad I'll run the TTR through tech! :D

physicistkev

Control Rider
That track. As "bad" as it was last year is nothing like it was in the early and mid 90's. If you drive around near the track you will see some of the roads have been ground down in the corners to add some traction. Most of the corners on that race track looked the same. From edge to edge it was ground up track. At least now there are some clean lines through the corners. There weren't any back then.

It's not a bad track. It's close and even when the track is having some moments it's still a great place to ride. I plan on being there the day after Easter.

jls223

Appreciate everyone's input. I'll be there again this year. Heck, it's only 30 minutes from the house!

I kind of have a love / hate relationship with this track. Everytime I go and the track is in great condition (like last April) we end up having monsoons. Then when the track is dry the asphault is lossening up in the turns. I can't win. But that doesn't mean I won't try! :banghead:

That's why I love Jefferson. Never had a bad day there.

Oh crap, just ruined that now! :doh: