Superbike tail question

I'm currently shopping for track bodywork and I was wondering why there are usually two options for tails.
"Supersport" tails which utilize stock seats vs "superbike" tails which require foam cutouts for padding.
What are the advantages of going with a superbike tail? Is it comfort, crashability, weight, aesthetics, grip, etc?

Also, what thickness foam do you guys use?

I'm trying to decide between the Optimal Racing or the Armour Bodies bodywork and Supersport vs Superbike tails.

Thanks!

Folly1

I can't answer the first question.
I have always used the more expensive sharkskinz until I put Armour Bodies on my Ducati. I am very impressed with the AB bodywork. They are a NESBA sponser. You will get a great product at a very good price. I would try to order through the NESBA store.

Ben.

Thanks Folly. Yeah, the Nesba discount by Woodcraft is another reason why I'm strongly considering Armour bodies.

I just called Woodcraft, and they told me that some guys go with the superbike tail with a foam pad for a number of reasons, with some being added height for taller riders, and/or a firmer ride.

I found out that they now include a custom fit foam seat pad with the superbike kits. These pads do not require any cutting and they include an adhesive backing.
*edit: They are 1/2" thick foam pads.

stow

Some racers love the feel they get from a superbike seat and the added height. Other racers hate it.

Huey at Marietta Motorsports told me he saw Lee Acree cutting up a superbike tail section after coming off the track and deciding he preferred the stock seat. It is really about preference.

I have used both and prefer the flexibility of being able to remove the stock seat to get to the battery and raise the tank without having to remove the tail section.

sobottka

Ive had both on the same bike and it all about seating position. the superbike tail sits you up and forward compared to the stock seat and is much firmer and Sharkskinz is, of course, very nice ;)

Vet

I've had both and I prefer the superbike tail. It allows me to slide off the seat with ease. For me the stock seat was so comfortable I did not want to get off of it:doh:

Revvin' Evan

I prefer the superbike tail. It provides a more connected feel. I used a 1/4" foam pad for the seat and a 5/8" pad for the back

I did a little "how-to" write up on 600rr.net on making a seat pad if you're interested:

Mark the centerline of your seatpan

Take a file folder, with it in the closed position, line the folded edge up with the centerline you already marked.

Draw a rough outline of one side of the seat.

Cut along the line you just drew so that you cut through both layers of the folder.

Unfold, check shape, refold, trim more. Repeat until desired shape is achieved. This insures a symmetrical seat.

Trace the template you have just made onto the backing paper of the seat foam.

I used a razor knife to cut mine out. A band saw would be ideal if you have one.

You will need to sand down the edges to achieve a smooth professional look. I used a drywall sanding sponge for this.
Numberbackgroundtail3r.jpg

tgseatr.jpg

Thanks for the advice, Evan. I'm most likely going to go with the superbike tail.
Yeah, I've seen your bike and setup on 600rr.net. Your sharkskinz bodywork looks awesome btw.

1literduceater

Revvin' Evan;56604 wrote: I prefer the superbike tail. It provides a more connected feel. I used a 1/4" foam pad for the seat and a 5/8" pad for the back

I did a little "how-to" write up on 600rr.net on making a seat pad if you're interested:

Numberbackgroundtail3r.jpg

tgseatr.jpg

Thats almost to a T to what I did. I have rode both and prefer the superbike tail for the track - reasons all touched upon above. My lcurrent bike came with the supersport tail - while fixing the bodywork and repainting I bult a seat pan and added a kayak seat pad. Its very stiff and has held up well for the last 2 years.

Well, I went with the armour bodies superbike kit.

Is this the correct dzus fastener that I should go with?
10pc - Black Dzus Fasteners for Fiberglass Bodywork
http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=55
I know I don't need this many fasteners, but I figured it would be good to have as spares.

I'm at work and not looking at my bike right now, so sorry if this is really obvious.
Dzus fasteners only fasten body work parts together, right? What do I use to fasten the bodywork to bike; OEM screws? Is there a better alternative that you guys use?

I've read somewhere that it's better to use zip ties to attach the upper to the fairing stay as the zip ties would break apart first in the event of a crash instead of breaking the upper.

Thanks

Burnall4

I didn't read all of the thread so I don't know the direction it went but here is my .02

I love my super bike tail, it is not hard to get on and off in a hurry after to you know the limits of how far you can bend the fiberglass. I also like the minimal seat pad that I have on mine, it forces me to get off the seat more, its not uncomfortable, but sitting on it for the length of the front straight is all that I would recommend. I am going to buy another set of plastics at the end of the season, and I will be getting another super bike tail.

Revvin' Evan

Olde English;59613 wrote:

I've read somewhere that it's better to use zip ties to attach the upper to the fairing stay as the zip ties would break apart first in the event of a crash instead of breaking the upper.

Thanks
That's what I do.