Suspenion adjustment / Reading tires

All my rear tires have done this. This is a set of the Q2 on my bike. The leading edge of the tread is worn "round" and the trailing edge is pushed back starting to "feather".... any suggestions? Maybe speed up the rebound? My bike has 106hp and 98ft/lbs. at the tire. :wow:
picture.php

Sklossmonster

A few things for you:

First, what bike are you riding? 106 hp bikes don't usually have 98 ft/lbs of tourque.

Second, what pressures are you running, and are you absolutely certain your pressure guage is accurate? Many of the wear isssues we encounter at Turn One Racing can be traced back to improper pressures for one reason or another (faulty tire warmers, errant guages, etc.)

Third, how many miles/laps are on that tire?

Also, other than a little rounded cupping at the tread sipe, that tire looks pretty darn good from my screen. Don't forget you're on a race track going as fast as you possibly can. With only two tires under you, they tend to take an unholy beating at the hands of modern sportbikes.

Your goal is to have nice even wear as the tire literally sacrifices itself to the pavement for your pleasure.

Wear is expected, you just want it to be smooth and consistent.

Most bikes don't have push rods and rocker arms either. Or just two 601cc cylinders. It's a Buell 45degree twin 1203cc.

These tires have only about 250 STREET miles. I've been running about 36-38 psi. Yes I think the tires do look good, they are not all chewed up or torn (STREET riding) but just the tread is indicating something I'm not sure of what....

Is speeding up the rebound the general thoughts here? Also what psi for STREET riding? 30-40 psi ?

Thank youz

jtsgsxr6

You're just going to have to push on the back of the bike. Compress the suspension and let it rebound naturally. If it pogos there's not enough rebound damping, if it crawls up too much. Usually guessing which way rebound is off is just that a guess, tires tell you its off, pushing on the bike tells you which way.

Hambone

Check out that OTT (OnTheThrottle) website. That guy Dave Moss has a few sections there where he goes into great detail on how to read tires and what it all means.

RandyO

Tire reading and Dave Moss are one in the same.. I got to speak with him and it is amazing... His videos give good insight but can not replace years of experience..

I would be curious about your riding style however... (pretty large chicken strips for a track tire).. and they do not look anything like tires I have seen come off a track (although I am pretty new at all this)..

sort of looks like a lot more straight line "go" than corner speeds.. (my street tires look a lot like these if I hotdog around the city streets)

These were my tires after my first track day ever last year.. (Dave told me my rebound was too tight, I was way late on the throttle on exit and that my tire pressure needed to go up a couple pounds) Fix, learn some more and take new pics :)

DSCN4101.JPG

These are STREET tires on a STREET bike. My other sets of Qualifiers got blacked side to side. Shinko F003RR blacked side to side too. Bridgestone BT-016 blacked side to side also. I HATED the bt016 !

These are the new Q2 from Dunlop sporting FIFTY FOUR degrees of lean angle. Let me tell you right now, these Q2 are special ! Getting those strips off on the street would probably not be that safe..... These are the BEST DOT tires I've seen.

Thank you for any input.

RandyO

guess that is why they look like my street tires huh? sorry I missed that part :)

FWIW... I adjust the suspension on the street bike for comfort... 35 years of street bikes and it is amazing how much they have changed and my riding has stayed about the same

Tire wear for my bikes is mostly "right wrist" related anyway (street).. I doubt you will find much other in the way of adjusting the thing other than to keep the tires from bouncing off the ground..

Riding hard enough on the street to worry about critical rebound settings? more guts than I have.. my old tail takes way too long to heal