suspension

mdeaver

I recently was at NJMP and had a basic baseline suspension setup. I was only able to ride a couple of sessions and I noticed that under hard acceration my suspension is tending to "squat." I am beginner rider and I need the oppinion of more experience riders about how much the rear suspension should move under acceleration.

geckert

I am not an expert and I really dont know anything technical about suspensions; but what I do is turn my rebound and compersion to full hard, front and rear. I leave my shock at 4 which is halfway on mine. Then I turn the reb. and comp. down 1/4 turn after a session and try to find a comfortable spot.

I heard one of the CR's or Directors say that if you are having trouble going into a turn you may need to adjust the front. If the suspension doesnt feel right exiting a turn it is probably the rear that needs adjusted. If you want to do it the right way I suggest having someone set up your "sag" and the bike done for your weight and speed. Just my .02.

bigkaley

Control Rider
geckert;79648 wrote: I am not an expert and I really dont know anything technical about suspensions; but what I do is turn my rebound and compersion to full hard, front and rear. I leave my shock at 4 which is halfway on mine. Then I turn the reb. and comp. down 1/4 turn after a session and try to find a comfortable spot.

I heard one of the CR's or Directors say that if you are having trouble going into a turn you may need to adjust the front. If the suspension doesnt feel right exiting a turn it is probably the rear that needs adjusted. If you want to do it the right way I suggest having someone set up your "sag" and the bike done for your weight and speed. Just my .02.
I know you had posted that you are not an expert, but I would suggest against turning the rebound and compression to full hard and working back from there. It's much safer to start softer and work towards firmer. If you start at full hard, you won't be able to feel anything, both ends will "pack down" meaning they won't move or "track" over any bumps which then means that all your suspension action is being accomplished through the tires. Ultimately this will end up with loss of traction and likely the bike will "become tired and try to lie down":p with you on it!

I would suggest for both of you to get with a CR or someone else who is able to help you measure and set sag (spring tension) first, then adjust rebound and compression damping to make the bike work evenly, front and rear. Then number for sag are generally around 30-35mm front rider sag with 5-10mm free sag and 25-30mm rear rider sag with 5-10mm free sag.

Geckert, I'm up in Lebanon and would be happy to help you with setting sag, etc. if you'd be interested.

gkotlin

bigkaley is right on. On a stock suspension, the dampers don't necessarily make a huge difference. They are like most typical items and have a margin of safety built into them. You can turn the screws for damping full hard and they still have some damping available. If you then switch to an aftermarket suspension and use this method, you very will may have NO damping available. That could be dangerous. If your not familiar with what adjustments do, get some knowledge and or help.

As for to much squat on acceleration it could be the result of to soft a spring or to little swing arm angle or also known as anti-squat. Get with your regions trackside vendor and let them help you fix the problems and teach you whats going on. Changing settings at one of the bike can affect changes at the other end as well.