Sv650 1st or 2nd gen preferences

rmadursk

I know the general differences between the 2 bikes. My question is geared toward their effect on track performance. Specifically available modifications, handling, speed, torque, maintainability, reliability, parts interchange, and parts availability.

I did 1 track day on my Sprint ST and decided it was not a good platform for the track. I am slowly building a cash supply to get a dedicated track bike and want to make sure I get something that I am not going to want to sell in 6 months.

Thanks,

Ron

mrh372

Both are great bikes so it really comes down to what you find for a price you are willing to spend and what looks best to you. Rumor has it that the handling is marginally better on the gen I over the II and the motor stock is marginally better on the II. The other main factor is if you want to/ feel comfortable dealing with carbs (gen I). Personally I like the Gen I better just because I think they look better and I enjoyed messing around with fueling the ol' fashioned way (and coincidentally thats what I found for dirt cheap).

Both gens are equally reliable though I would guess there would technically be more parts out there for the Gen II since it had more years but both are easy to find cheap parts for.

Unless you find one for dirt cheap ~$650 or so save yourself the time and money and buy one with all the track mods done to it.

My 2 cents.

-mike

madriders86

fi is nice but on a track bike i could care less. The motor being "better" in the gen 2 is arguable. The 03 model had issues with the cranks breaking when pushed. The Gen 1 supposedly has stronger rods. Wouldn't trade mine.