SV650 Riders: Help/Opinions Wanted

tiggen

I want to build a stock SV into a track bike. What's your opinion on which would be most important given that you are starting from stock? The bike will be built with a "first track bike" mentality.

I would like to hear your opinions on which parts are most important to you, which parts may not be important (given the type of bike and its "track day" purpose) and your preferred brand. Feel free to answer in part or completely. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Shock
Forks
Clipons
Rearsets
Fairing Stay
Brake Lines/Pads (front and rear)
Tires
Bodywork
Exhaust
Gearing(don't know stock gearing, so what would be good for newer riders at Barber, Tally, Jennings, CMP, Roebling?)

Think cheap!!

And one last question: Aside from suspension, if you could only do two things to improve the bike from stock trim, what would they be?

Thanks again!

bullaboy

Did the same thing, with an 01 SV650, a long time ago...
All I did was rearsets, rear shock, emulators for the front with a different spring (for my weight).
It was a naked sv, so I just ran it naked. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.
At the minimum, the stock rear shock probably has to go, they are pretty bad, think pogo stick....

jsin38

I lucked out and bought a track prepped '99 SV a little over a year ago. What I've learned is:

The rear brake is not important. Leave it stock to save some $$$.

Brembo Master Cylinder pushing fluid through braided steel lines with Vesrah pads in the stock calipers pressing on stock rotors is awesome. First time I really squeezed the lever I was lifted up off of the seat. I'm still learning that I can pass liter bikes in B (while still straight up and down for any CRs reading this) near the end of the straight because they have to grab the binders WAY before I do. Granted I'm 160 lbs in street clothes but every ounce helps.

I think the stock gearing is kinda lame but I don't know for sure. Mine has a Vortex front and rear sprocket kit with a D.I.D 525 chain. Seems to make the bike really drive out of the turns and the bigger chain means longer life...or so I've heard.

The most important part is the suspension. Out back mine has a Penske with remote and up front the forks were done at CAD Cycles in Maryland. All work was arranged by the previous owner who was the same weight as me. Folks who have done real suspension tuning can most likely help more than me. I still think rebound is what you do on the basketball court :notsure:

One thing, I replaced the stock plastic clutch cover with an aluminum model from Spears Enterprises. The stock plastic one tends to deform and leak oil. They also have a lot of cool kit to make SVs go faster.
Here: http://www.spearsenterprises.com/products.html

jsin38

tiggen;102701 wrote:

And one last question: Aside from suspension, if you could only do two things to improve the bike from stock trim, what would they be?

Thanks again!
Dang, I didn't read the whole post did I?

Thing 1) Upgrade brakes. Lines and pads at least. Vesrah pads are around $90 I think for the SV.

Thing 2) Toss that plastic clutch cover out and get a metal one. Be sure to replace the gasket too and use some Permatex to keep it all sealed up. $140 from Spears Enterprises but Woodcraft may have cheaper.

dmb367

is it a street bike? if so, sell it and buy an already prepped track / race sv

it will be way cheaper in the long run

madriders86

If it's an S, just do up the suspension.

That's it. Some bodywork maybe. Unless you just WANT to spend more money.

mlmoore

dmb367;102722 wrote: is it a street bike? if so, sell it and buy an already prepped track / race sv

it will be way cheaper in the long run
:agree:

I started with a salvage SV650 and it would have been much easier to purchase a prepped bike.

Wink

Buy a prepped bike, far cheaper than taking a $500 SV and building it up with suspension and all the track goodies.