Sweet New Motorcycle Racing Movie!

hank

Not to be harsh, but you are asking for comments from dedicated track day riders who are simply starved for entertainment because it is late December and too cold for them to be out riding or watching live racing action...

TBH, I turned the audio off to get a feel for the acting ability... Simply awefull - virtually nonexistent character realism.

Then, I turned up the audio with the video blacked out - the dialogue was really bad...

I wasn't impressed with the production value during the '3 things' scene - were they in a garage with a wooden bookcase or inside the guy's house? and why have a chromed cruiser in the foreground in either case? And a solid colored t-shirt on one guy and some random design on the other guy's? At least give them shirts that a MC racer would wear... perhaps with a logo of something related to their chosen passion?

I did like the on-board camera work, but there was a striking difference in realism between that and the guy with his bike barely off the tarmac who was running (helmet in hand) on a hot track to look at the aftermath of his brother's crash? Try that sort of stunt at your next track day.... And from a seasoned 'racer'? Dutch will have a cone so far up that guy's a$$ that he would never be able to sit on a bike again....

You may want to also post the trailer on the WERA BBS and get some additional feedback from a more race-oriented group... http://forums.13x.com

Unless the overall writing gets better as well as the acting, I will demand my 3 minutes of time back... motorcycle movies and/or racing movies do not have a wide audience appeal (unless it's NASCAR)...

Stall;29630 wrote: Supposedly its goin to be more realistic then biker boys an torque.
You may want to set your sights on a higher standard than those 2.... maybe even attempt the antithesis... How about John Frankenheimer's "Grand Prix
" starring James Garner?

Well, you said that you wanted feedback...:D:D:D

phoenix

arhale09;29738 wrote: I think the more successful films about SANCTIONED motorcycle racing--On Any Sunday, Faster, Dust to Glory--have been documentaries, and I think a doc about American roadracing could do well, with all the stories there are in the AMA paddock (Spies vs Mladin, former WSBK champ Hodgson, Michael Jordan's team, the split with DMG, etc.).
:agree:

I would also be interested in seeing a documentary about people who are just getting into trackdays, see them progress, and see some of the real stuff we deal with. And the comraderie. But yeah, that's probably not where this is going. I do think a documentary would do really well with motorcycle enthusiasts, but that's a small market probably.

I have to say, as soon as I hear "you have to let go of your brother" stuff, I just turn it off.

Although it was super corny, and Stallone was in it, I did like the movie DRIVEN.

I would just suggest that the storyline doesn't get gawd awful predictable, like "we need to win this race to save ________" and then they win the race on the last turn after all kinds of shit goes wrong in the race. Blah blah blah.

Sorry, I'm sure none of this is really helpful. :dunno:

S3aturnR

Slow Steve;29823 wrote: More riding, less talking...that would make a great movie.
yeah, they need to make it like that old steve mcqueen movie, "le mans". there was like, 4 lines in that movie...

AND... the camera car finished 9th with all the camera crap on it...

s3aturnr

LMsports

As for the concerns so far...

I will be providing technical "guidance" if you will to make sure that the right sounds are in the right places, that the gear and the equipment is relevant, and that the racing content has a genuine feel to it.

Also, these are not the actors that will be used in the actual film production. This clip is used to show the production quality of the equipment the movie maker has at his disposal and the crews ability to shoot the necessary scenes etc. I know it is hard to understand but the trailer is used to "shop" the project but not on the merits of what we novices see. Professionals are looking at the more technical aspects of what is there.

rk97

LMsports;31524 wrote: As for the concerns so far...

I will be providing technical "guidance" if you will to make sure that the right sounds are in the right places, that the gear and the equipment is relevant, and that the racing content has a genuine feel to it.
you'll regret that statement. now we just know who's to blame if you miss something :D

after watching FASTER on new year's day, I'm itching for more racing footage...

stephenjpauls

I saw this trailer and though to myself... Damm I can't watch this, if my wife sees a bad crash like that I'll be out of track days for good. I did really enjoy the track footage...

As far as the script and story line, I would agree with others comments. GrandPrix has to be the best racing films of all times. Edit the storyline enough to fit with the times and it could be a great film.

Though I would like to see the film myself, I think you would have a very limited audience, I just don't know if motorcycle racing has a big enough following in the US.

bry1105

From the trailers, it seems like there is a lot of negativity. (Yelling, pushing & shoving, ect...) Track days, and even road racing isnt like that. NASCAR might be, but the motorcycle environment doesn't have that much drama. I wouldnt want to see a movie that is so dramatic and/or negative. On another note, I really like the idea of the film and some of the shots are great. Good luck...!

Meat

stephenjpauls;31559 wrote:
Though I would like to see the film myself, I think you would have a very limited audience, I just don't know if motorcycle racing has a big enough following in the US.
I would think that is why extra storylines are probably added to the base of motorcycle racing. Obviously very few people would want to watch a true-to-life movie about club racing.

Meat

bry1105;31560 wrote: From the trailers, it seems like there is a lot of negativity. (Yelling, pushing & shoving, ect...) Track days, and even road racing isnt like that.
Evidentially people love conflict, or so many TV shows wouldn't be based on it.

Come on guys.

I know very little about the movie business but I also try to be logical in my thinking. So many people seem to bash this little trailer, even after it was repeated over and over that this is just a mere sample of what the movie could be.

That being said, it would seem like a movie full of excitement and multiple storylines (within reason) would pull the biggest audience.....which would mean a higher probability it will actually be successful.

He wasn't saying it was a documentary. It is a movie.

I guess I am just so surprised that there is so little support for this. Take a club motorcycle racing movie, put a conflicted good looking man in a macho movie. Give him something that the chicks can feel sorry for him about, such as a death. Put a hot, but not so hot to run the women off, chick in it. Now you at least have the base for a movie that can attract sportbike riders and their wives/girlfriends, and you also have some just regular guys and their wives/girlfriends. To me that would be obvious.

And if this movie is made, motorcycle racing and track days will be cool....more tracks...more chicks (for the ones that aren't married), more sponsors, stronger US sportbike market, cheaper parts, better parts........ok, maybe I am going a bit too far.

Ruhe52

Doesn't really speak to the notion that safer on the track than the road. Understand that you would get real actors but wow made along the lines this looks to be going you might have a runner up for worst movie of all time with Mighty Ducks 2.
I am all for a track or race movie but it would seem hopeless to make a movie about road racing that compares to the real drama. It will be tricked up like Days of Thunder and thus not portray the sport in the light those that enjoy it would hope for.
I know pre production and lots of work just do our sport justice is all we can ask.

LMsports

cyclerant;31627 wrote: It will be tricked up like Days of Thunder and thus not portray the sport in the light those that enjoy it would hope for.
I know pre production and lots of work just do our sport justice is all we can ask.
As corny as it sounds. Days of Thunder was an example the producer gave me for a couple of the concerns I initially had. What do you think the stock car types "in the know" thought of that flick?

The real challenge is to keep the project somewhat genuine while trying to make it relatable and entertaining to a large general audience. Consequently, we won't have a documentary here or something that is a direct representation of what we do. But rather a movie produced for entertainment that someone who has never heard of roadracing can find appealing. Although there are parts we may cringe about, the general entertainment factor could turn some people on to our sport that would have never been interested in motorcycle racing.

But be sure. It won't be another biker boyz or torque.

JonGu

Rob, you just make sure there aren't any scenes where two bikes are drag racing each other down the front straight and keep going back and forth with each other as if they were rolling off the throttle like in the Fast and the Furious or any other idiot drag racing movie...

PJZOCC624

Solid acting is key. Keeping out the corny sub-plots is helpful as well. I think if you keep the racing action "real" or as realistic as possible, it will appease the motorcycle enthusiats and the non-biker entertained. I'd try to steer clear of the long drawn-out side by side action. (ie., if a run down the front straight would actually take 6 seconds, don't make it 25 seconds, with lots of close-ups of the hero's eyes and the grimmacing of the protagonist's face, and back-and-forth... that stuff drives me over the edge). Realizing that some liberties must be taken for entertainment value, the on-track stuff isn't going to be 100% dead-nuts accurate. You're gonna get alot of "There's no WAY that stuff would EVER happen..." or "No true racer would ever do THAT..." Everyone's an expert.

Just a story line thought... the local club racer who gets "called up" to the big leagues and while pushing it to the limit accidentally takes out Matt Mladin in the fifth race of the year effectively ending Matt's career and he has to move his arrogant ass back to Australia or New Zealand or New Jersey or wherever that dingass is from and the U.S. doesnt have to put up with his crap anymore and............

....sorry. That got away from me at the end there. But I like the idea of the film, and from the racing action seen in the trailer, I think there's some promise. GOOD LUCK!