Swingarm Slider Threaded Boss Weld Repair

MBH328

I am looking for guidance regarding an aluminum weld repair on my swingarm. The threaded boss where the right-side swingarm slider threads in was knocked off my '03 CBR600RR in a low-side earlier this year. From the factory, it is welded to the swingarm. Both the swingarm and the boss are aluminum, and it appears to have a steel insert for threads.

I'd like to get a new boss welded on so I can re-install a slider. Has anyone had this operation performed? Does anyone know of a skilled aluminum welder in DC/VA/MD?

JASON748

Done it twice... Once I was able to re-use the origional part, ground both the boss and swingarm a little, and just tigged it back on. The second time I had to make a new boss as the orgional one was long gone, but I just cut a piece of round 6061 bar stock, again tigged it on, then drill & tapped it.

Sorry can't help you in that location, but call around to some welding shops and find one that is compenet in Aluminum welding. It's a quick and easy job, and most should be able to do it pretty cheap.

Steve

There was a guy from this bbs I think he posted in one of the classified forums about doing aluminum welding/fabricating not too long ago IIRC. Maybe he'll see this, or try a search?