Taking it easy with new tires?

Pseudolus

Good morning!

So whenever I've had my tires changed, they always say "take it easy for a little bit." That seems pretty easy to do on the street for 100 miles or so but now I have a new set of tires and the bike is in dedicated track mode so I don't plan on riding on the street before the first track day of the year.

Can anyone advise on how you should treat new tires on the track and what steps you need to take to break them in, if that even applies? I have Dunlop Q2's if that helps. :)

RADAR Magnet

Well I'm no expert but I don't think there's any magic to it; think they're ready to rock after a couple of reasonable laps.

matt2212

I think that dates back to the old molding and manufacturing process with a mold release compound used in the process, warm um up and go get um ( at a pace well within your limits)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
As stated above, take it easy for a few laps, gradually increasing lean angle, then you're good to go. As a general FYI -What puts heat in the tire is acceleration and braking. No need to "weave" in the paddock or pit lane (or anywhere else for that matter), it does nothing and can be dangerous to those around you.

Pseudolus

RADAR Magnet;267380 wrote: Well I'm no expert but I don't think there's any magic to it; think they're ready to rock after a couple of reasonable laps.
jeff15;267383 wrote: Just take it easy a few laps then you will be fine!
matt2212;267384 wrote:
I think that dates back to the old molding and manufacturing process with a mold release compound used in the process, warm um up and go get um ( at a pace well within your limits)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HondaGalToo;267386 wrote:
As stated above, take it easy for a few laps, gradually increasing lean angle, then you're good to go. As a general FYI -What puts heat in the tire is acceleration and braking. No need to "weave" in the paddock or pit lane (or anywhere else for that matter), it does nothing and can be dangerous to those around you.
I appreciate all of the replies so thank you! As a beginner, one of the most difficult and intimidating things is understanding grip and its limits. All of the videos out there that make it look like you just fall all of a sudden make me paranoid...

Thanks again!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Pseudolus;267389 wrote: I appreciate all of the replies so thank you! As a beginner, one of the most difficult and intimidating things is understanding grip and its limits. All of the videos out there that make it look like you just fall all of a sudden make me paranoid...

Thanks again!

Usually something has happened to cause what looks like a sudden loss in grip. Things to generally keep in mind:
Load the tire before you work the tire
- this is stressed a lot at the YCRS. It means to apply the brakes smoothly to load the front tire prior to turn-in, (where you'll be working the tire in the turn), then trail off them gently. Sudden application or removal of inputs (i.e. "stabbing" the brake lever), can cause a loss in traction. As you smoothly apply the front brakes, the weight is transferred forward, loading the tire and increasing the tire's contact patch. Leaving just a bit, and I mean like 1-2% of brake pressure, on as tipping in ensures the contact patch remains larger. Suddenly letting off the brakes can cause the suspension to rebound, making the contact patch smaller, so trail off the brakes gradually as well, rather than just letting go of the lever. Also, suddenly stabbing at the brakes while leaned over can cause the forks to compress too quickly, causing a loss of traction (sudden application didn't allow the tire to be loaded before asking it to work).

As always, it's all about being smooth!:cool:

Pseudolus

vinny337;267390 wrote: You're not racing, so take about a 2 laps.
You know the funny thing is I always head out with the CR leading the way and by half way through the first lap, I feel like we're pushing it more than we're supposed to be but then I remind myself that the CR knows how fast we can go on the two warm up laps. And then two or three people pass you and the taking it easy stuff goes right out the window!

I know I know:D, I have to get over that ego issue and I am going to keep trying this season! I may force myself by starting at the back intentionally. :notsure:

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;267393 wrote: Usually something has happened to cause what looks like a sudden loss in grip. Things to generally keep in mind:
- this is stressed a lot at the YCRS. It means to apply the brakes smoothly to load the front tire prior to turn-in, (where you'll be working the tire in the turn), then trail off them gently. Sudden application or removal of inputs (i.e. "stabbing" the brake lever), can cause a loss in traction. As you apply the front brakes, the weight is transferred forward, loading the tire and increasing the tire's contact patch. Leaving just a bit, and I mean like 1-2% of brake pressure, on as tipping in ensures the contact patch remains larger. Suddenly letting off the brakes can cause the suspension to rebound, making the contact patch smaller, so trail off the brakes gradually as well, rather than just letting go of the lever. Also, suddenly stabbing at the brakes while leaned over can cause the forks to compress too quickly, causing a loss of traction (sudden application didn't allow the tire to be loaded before asking it to work).

GREAT GREAT info Judy! Thank you! :adore:

LesPow

Control Rider
And of course, SET TIRE PRESSURE, after putting on a fresh set of tires it is easy to forget to set the correct pressure. Sometimes you think the tire guy did it, but usually it is hard as a rock form beading the tire on the rim. Things to remember.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Pseudolus;267394 wrote: You know the funny thing is I always head out with the CR leading the way and by half way through the first lap, I feel like we're pushing it more than we're supposed to be but then I remind myself that the CR knows how fast we can go on the two warm up laps. And then two or three people pass you and the taking it easy stuff goes right out the window!

I know I know:D, I have to get over that ego issue and I am going to keep trying this season! I may force myself by starting at the back intentionally. :notsure:
There have been times when I forgot to turn on my warmers or just put on new tires and just head out on the track. 2 laps normally work for me. It's fun to start in the back, you can practice getting aroung people.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Rasta;267397 wrote: And of course, SET TIRE PRESSURE, after putting on a fresh set of tires it is easy to forget to set the correct pressure. Sometimes you think the tire guy did it, but usually it is hard as a rock form beading the tire on the rim. Things to remember.
Excellent point! The tire guys usually leave the pressures high...sometimes 40 psi or so, especially if done at a dealer.

z064life

vinny337;267398 wrote: There have been times when I forgot to turn on my warmers or just put on new tires and just head out on the track. 2 laps normally work for me. It's fun to start in the back, you can practice getting aroung people.
Or you can be like me and start in front to give everyone some passing practice :lol

Matilda

HondaGalToo;267393 wrote: Usually something has happened to cause what looks like a sudden loss in grip. Things to generally keep in mind:
- this is stressed a lot at the YCRS. It means to apply the brakes smoothly to load the front tire prior to turn-in, (where you'll be working the tire in the turn), then trail off them gently. Sudden application or removal of inputs (i.e. "stabbing" the brake lever), can cause a loss in traction. As you smoothly apply the front brakes, the weight is transferred forward, loading the tire and increasing the tire's contact patch. Leaving just a bit, and I mean like 1-2% of brake pressure, on as tipping in ensures the contact patch remains larger. Suddenly letting off the brakes can cause the suspension to rebound, making the contact patch smaller, so trail off the brakes gradually as well, rather than just letting go of the lever. Also, suddenly stabbing at the brakes while leaned over can cause the forks to compress too quickly, causing a loss of traction (sudden application didn't allow the tire to be loaded before asking it to work).

Hmmm, too bad this didn't stick in my head BEFORE I turned in at Jefferson. That experience is still costs me a bunch of dollars. Well, some of us have to learn the hard way. :banghead:

Pseudolus

Rasta;267397 wrote: And of course, SET TIRE PRESSURE, after putting on a fresh set of tires it is easy to forget to set the correct pressure. Sometimes you think the tire guy did it, but usually it is hard as a rock form beading the tire on the rim. Things to remember.
Rasta, I can't believe how right you are! I just wrote a post on another forum about how my FORMER dealer sold me the bike and sent me home with 14 PSI. I chalked up the feeling of the bike to me being new to sport bikes.... Actually rode it 50 miles before I checked.... Then after an oil change, they sent me home with 41 PSI but that time I checked before I rode off.

The insane thing in this story is your post made me realize I never checked the PSI after these Dunlops were installed because I picked the bike up with a trailer! Heading to the garage now......... THANK YOU!!!!! :adore:

LesPow

Control Rider
HondaGalToo;267399 wrote: Excellent point! The tire guys usually leave the pressures high...sometimes 40 psi or so, especially if done at a dealer.
How about the video of this guy at a track day riding out with his rear tire warmers on!! He saved it, but that was, well human, we make mistakes. Lets remove our warmers, check tire pressures, and show up to the riders meeting.......See you soon.:D

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Rasta;267442 wrote: How about the video of this guy at a track day riding out with his rear tire warmers on!! He saved it, but that was, well human, we make mistakes. Lets remove our warmers, check tire pressures, and show up to the riders meeting.......See you soon.:D
I saw that vid. How embarrassing! :eek:

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
z064life;267420 wrote: Or you can be like me and start in front to give everyone some passing practice :lol
Haha, it's all good, no matter how fast we think we are everyone has their turn of getting passed...