Taking it easy with new tires?

JVance

My advice is to go out easy and get PROGRESSIVELY faster. Some hear "2 Laps" and decide to go from 50% to 100% on lap 3. Make your increase in speed is progressive, a little faster every few corners. That is how I like to think of it at least. Tires ran at 50% for 2 laps are hot enough to go faster than 50% on but are NOT ready for 100% or even 90%. If you start out at say 50%, give it half a lap and go to 60% for half a lap, by the end of lap 2 you have pregressively gotten up to maybe 70%, a few corners at 70% then go to 75% for a couple corners...

Pseudolus

JVance;267496 wrote: My advice is to go out easy and get PROGRESSIVELY faster. Some hear "2 Laps" and decide to go from 50% to 100% on lap 3. Make your increase in speed is progressive, a little faster every few corners. That is how I like to think of it at least. Tires ran at 50% for 2 laps are hot enough to go faster than 50% on but are NOT ready for 100% or even 90%. If you start out at say 50%, give it half a lap and go to 60% for half a lap, by the end of lap 2 you have pregressively gotten up to maybe 70%, a few corners at 70% then go to 75% for a couple corners...
Thanks John! Very good point. I do tend to go right to 100% which thankfully for the tires, is probably about 20% to them! :cool:

Thanks again!

rsr

Chung bungdert
so 2 laps after 20 minutes on the warmers should be okay for brand new tires?
i thought 20 minutes on the warmers would have been enough to break um in...

LesPow

Control Rider
recommended to leave them on for 45 mins, heat soaks into the carcass of the tire and rim.
Also read an experiment on heat cycling new tires and letting them cure for 72hrs, then bring em to the track, It supposedly helps the tire break in on a molecular level, better initial grip etc. Just something I read that soounded interesting to know/try

1dwn5up

Lots of good points here. I know they no longer use wax to remove the tires from the molding, but I still sand down the tire to get that shiny look off of it. I then progressively add lean angles each lap.

The Q2's are great tires and I loved the high profile/quick turn in. One thing to mention is to get your suspension tuned properly for your weight/riding. My Q2's had cold tears and I was told it could be due to suspension.

rsr

Chung bungdert
cold tears

all great info...hopefully this will save me from an dumb crash...

what does a cold tear look llike?

as for suspension...ive had everything sent out and put it in race techs hands...

you think i need to get a set up done at track?

or can i do it before my first track day?

...i went with ohlins ttx 11.6 spring rear and 25mm full cart kit with 1.0 springs up front...
im very new to playing with suspension and dont trust myself yet to adjust anyhting on my own...yet at least

JRA

Plenty of racers go near full tilt with sticker tires. Using warmers I've never had any problems being able to go pretty hard from the first turn. I can feel the tires come in better after a few laps but the same is true for scrubbed in tires, and the difference between the two is not really noticeably different. I am not recommending going 100% from the first turn, but progressively increasing your pace would apply to any tire, new or used.

1dwn5up

I think you're doing the right thing in terms of suspension. If someone's setting it up for you on or before trackday, is the way to go. Don't mess with anything you're not comfortable with. Just monitor your tires. Don't worry about the cold tears, they're still great tires. You can google it to get an image of it if you're curious.

Take it easy and you'll be fine.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
g&s;268134 wrote: all great info...hopefully this will save me from an dumb crash...

what does a cold tear look llike?

as for suspension...ive had everything sent out and put it in race techs hands...

you think i need to get a set up done at track?

or can i do it before my first track day?

...i went with ohlins ttx 11.6 spring rear and 25mm full cart kit with 1.0 springs up front...
im very new to playing with suspension and dont trust myself yet to adjust anyhting on my own...yet at least
They usually get it pretty close if you've given them your weight. Otherwise, look up the vendor handling suspension tuning at the track. A basic set up runs about 40 bucks and it's well worth it. You've got the good stuff, the vendor will set sag first, then they'll adjust rebound and compression. That'll give you a great baseline to start!

madriders86

Don't lump in all the dealerships as idiots guys.

If it takes 40psi to seat the bead they aren't using enough lube...

On topic: I scuffed in a set of bt016s at vir south last year
on my bandit
in the rain :D

Fun times!

I know it isn't "mold release" compound or whatever that makes new tires slick, butt there is definitely something. Perhaps just a thin mystery film to keep them looking good when they're sitting on the shelf.

beac83

Always check your tire pressures in the morning before you go out, and also any time the wheel has been off the bike. I do this on street bikes if I haven't ridden the bike in the last 24 hours as well.

I make it a habit/practice so that I don't find myself in a bad situation because I didn't do it.